“Buyer Beware”

Island Gluten Free Bakery
Ranked #9 of 28 Bakeries in Sarasota
Description: A wonderful little bakery/cafe run by 3 ladies- Karen, Vickie and Kim. It's a dedicated gluten free facility and they make delicious gluten free bread, scones, muffins, cakes etc and sell it in they're cafe along with great coffee! Also serving sandwiches, subs and pizza on their fresh baked breads/crust from 10am to 2pm. Just off Siesta Key in Sarasota Fl. Wonderful find for Coeliacs.
Reviewed February 2, 2018

My wife and I came across their Farmer's Market stand in Venice on a very popular Saturday morning in late January. The bakery owner's parents were at the booth and were very easy to talk to.

My wife was delighted to see the selection of GF items and after lots of consideration, we settled on 2 - 8" pizza crusts costing $8.50. It is a premium price point and we were delighted to try it.

Planning on having Pizza for dinner on Tuesday night, 2.5 days from purchasing pizza rounds from Island, i picked up the unopened bag and saw that it was moldy, green and red mold, growing all over the crusts.

Needless to say, we were both rather disappointed.

The following evening, i emailed the address on their Website.

Kim wrote
"Yes, everything must be frozen this is why we put it on the label, we do not use preservatives chemicals additives or stabilizers.
Our motto is always eat it or freeze it.
The pizza crust work very well from the frozen stage no need to thaw to make your pizza.
All the items are made fresh daily and any leftovers are immediately frozen here at the bakery, all the market stuff is fresh.
Sorry for the inconvenience, we strive to make things healthy but they lack shelf life."

I wrote back,

"Yes, it is on the label, printed in the smallest text. Please ask your parents to mention that to customers when they purchase.

Did i miss the place where we were going to make this right? $8.50 for mold in three days doesn’t give US that warm fuzzy feeling."

Kim wrote back
"I apologize again Noah, our parents do their best to remind people of the care instructions, they may have been busy and neglected this time , but they do understand-stand our products."

If you decide to purchase from Island, FREEZE their product or eat it within hours of purchase.

If you decide to wait a few hours, you might have to throw it away.

I was glad that we donated $8.50 to them and that they don't stand behind the product, but will stand behind your trashcan with a smile and a wave, bye-bye.

Date of visit: January 2018

Reviewed January 12, 2018 via mobile

My family has enjoyed several items from here. My favorite is the GF key lime pie.

They are very kind and accommodating. They didn’t have any individual slices of KL pie out but the woman went in back and cut a piece for me.

It’s a dedicated GF bakery, so it’s safe even for celiac. There are also vegan options.

It’s pretty pricey. Worth it if you require GF food and really want something good.

We stop here every time we come to Siesta Key. Love it!

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank Tricia P
Reviewed January 7, 2018 via mobile

The cinnamon bun with a side of cinnamon butter cream was amazing. It was really warm. Also had the chocolate pecan pie which was great. It’s not cheap, the bun was $4.50. They do cakes, bread, flour, pasta etc, all GF.
Definitely worthwhile if you have the allergy.

Date of visit: December 2017
Karen W, Owner at Island Gluten Free Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2018

We are glad you were delighted. Our products certainly are more expensive than a store bought version-we can't compete with their prices. Likewise, they can't compete with our ingredients- we use certified organic oils, sugars and use non-GMO ingredients. We appreciate your comments and thank you for taking the time to do so.

Reviewed January 2, 2018

Many years ago, a friend from GA vacationed in Sarasota and stumbled upon the first location of this amazing place. Obviously, I had to try it for myself so we took a chance and booked a trip to the area - that was almost a decade ago. The risk paid off in a way that hasn't been repeated since. Real tasting cinnamon bread, muffins, carrot cake, key lime pie...and later cinnamon buns and waffles to die for! Everything - and I mean everything - from this place has been amazing! Can't say that about any other bakery - gf or otherwise (pre ceeliac dx).

The bakery is completely gluten-free and creates items without some other allergens as well. If you haven't tried this place, it's worth the trip (even from Atlanta!) so do yourself a favor and check it out!

Date of visit: February 2017
1  Thank promopro2

Our comments are greatly appreciated. We're so glad you were able to visit us and that you appreciate what we do.

Reviewed December 21, 2017

So happy to have found a dedicated gluten-free bakery in the area. However, the baked goods we purchased (approx. $50), went stale quickly, especially the french bread loaf which literally crumbled apart in the toaster on day two. Don't know if they weren't fresh when I got them or if it's because they don't use preservatives (which is a good thing). So although I will return because we don't have many choices here, I do wish the goods lasted long enough to be enjoyed.

Date of visit: December 2017

Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry your experience wasn't up to expectations. We're just an old fashioned bakery and use the old fashion moto...eat it or freeze it. You assumed correctly-we don't use preservatives nor dough conditioners. Fresh baked goods without stablizer's just don't last on the counter and crumble in the refrigerator. If it has a shelf life-there's something in it that probably shouldn't be consumed. I'm glad you wrote. Although we have - Keep frozen until use - on our labels, this will remind us to always tell our customers how to take care of our products. Thank you, again.