“Best gf bakery in FL - among the best in USA!”

Island Gluten Free Bakery
Ranked #9 of 28 Bakeries in Sarasota
Description: A wonderful little bakery/cafe run by 3 ladies- Karen, Vickie and Kim. It's a dedicated gluten free facility and they make delicious gluten free bread, scones, muffins, cakes etc and sell it in they're cafe along with great coffee! Also serving sandwiches, subs and pizza on their fresh baked breads/crust from 10am to 2pm. Just off Siesta Key in Sarasota Fl. Wonderful find for Coeliacs.
Reviewed January 2, 2018

Many years ago, a friend from GA vacationed in Sarasota and stumbled upon the first location of this amazing place. Obviously, I had to try it for myself so we took a chance and booked a trip to the area - that was almost a decade ago. The risk paid off in a way that hasn't been repeated since. Real tasting cinnamon bread, muffins, carrot cake, key lime pie...and later cinnamon buns and waffles to die for! Everything - and I mean everything - from this place has been amazing! Can't say that about any other bakery - gf or otherwise (pre ceeliac dx).

The bakery is completely gluten-free and creates items without some other allergens as well. If you haven't tried this place, it's worth the trip (even from Atlanta!) so do yourself a favor and check it out!

Date of visit: February 2017
1  Thank promopro2
Karen W, Owner at Island Gluten Free Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2018

Our comments are greatly appreciated. We're so glad you were able to visit us and that you appreciate what we do.

Reviewed December 21, 2017

So happy to have found a dedicated gluten-free bakery in the area. However, the baked goods we purchased (approx. $50), went stale quickly, especially the french bread loaf which literally crumbled apart in the toaster on day two. Don't know if they weren't fresh when I got them or if it's because they don't use preservatives (which is a good thing). So although I will return because we don't have many choices here, I do wish the goods lasted long enough to be enjoyed.

Date of visit: December 2017

Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry your experience wasn't up to expectations. We're just an old fashioned bakery and use the old fashion moto...eat it or freeze it. You assumed correctly-we don't use preservatives nor dough conditioners. Fresh baked goods without stablizer's just don't last on the counter and crumble in the refrigerator. If it has a shelf life-there's something in it that probably shouldn't be consumed. I'm glad you wrote. Although we have - Keep frozen until use - on our labels, this will remind us to always tell our customers how to take care of our products. Thank you, again.

Reviewed November 8, 2017 via mobile

Recently I have needed to cut out gluten. The hardest part was my love for good pasta and bread. I found a rice pasta that although not as good, does make good pasta salad. I had looked at all the gluten free breads in 4 different health food stores but, they all looked uneatable. It seemed like buying any decent gluten free bread was going to be impossible. I was about to give up until I remembered someone talking about this place. I stoped by to give it a try. Man, what I find. I got some hamburger buns that I have fallen in love with. I freeze them to eat one at a time with some fresh peanut butter and jam but, really my favorite thing there is the pizza crust. I couldn’t believe how good it was. Even my family really likes it. The crust is so light and flakey. We brush it with a little olive oil, some sauce and then make them to our individual tastes. It has made for a fun and delicious family meal. Plus I get to eat pizza again!!!!

Date of visit: November 2017
1  Thank V5143ZPkarenb
Karen W, Owner at Island Gluten Free Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2017

Thank you so much for posting. We are thrilled you are enjoying our products.

Reviewed October 3, 2017

Can’t resist going back every trip to Siesta Key and pleased to learn Irma did not do too much harm to the team.
Thèse muffins are to die for.

Date of visit: September 2017

I apologize for not responding earlier! We do appreciate you and thrilled you find the muffins so pleasing. Kind Regards-

Reviewed July 23, 2017

These guys make a gluten free cinnamon bum that ranks right up there with Cinnobon. OMG. And, everything in the place is gluten free. Carrot cake, brownies, cakes, pies, white bread, grain bread. I was in heaven.

Date of visit: July 2017
Karen W, Owner at Island Gluten Free Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2017

Thank you Janet!