“Authentic Italian”

Ranked #8 of 1,071 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: A warm welcome to Dolce Italia, celebrating our fourth anniversary. Four years ago we opened with the dream of creating a little gathering place to enjoy good food and good company. You have helped us realize our dream, and we wish to thank you by providing our very best hospitality, ambiance and flavor. We came here from Ischia, Italy to share our passion for creating wholesome Italian Cuisine from our own family traditions. In return, you made us feel like a part of a big happy family here, so we don't miss our Ischia so much. My father created the sculpture of the enchanted Castle Aragonese on our wall to remind us of the beautiful place we were born and raised. Over the last four years, our dreams have come true. We remember each of our customers with fondness, we enjoy every evening that you spend with us, and we feel very lucky to have such a wonderful family of patrons. "La Nostra Casa e la Vostra Casa" (Our Home is your Home) Tiziana & Filippo & Dolce Italia Family
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Very cute, quaint family restaurant. Staff was very friendly, you could hear them cooking the food fresh and the owner came out to say hello. I got spaghetti and meatballs and was the most delish and authentic Italian (nothing like your typical americanized Italian) I have had outside of Rome! Prices were very reasonable.

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

The food is amazing, the service even better and the place is intimate and cozy. All of us in my family loved it. A must dine in Sarasota!

2  Thank Sharatz
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We would give it 6 stars if we could. I can't believe we took so long to come here..........but, we are glad we finally did. Authentic Italian specialties. Don't expect the Americanized version of Italian here. It is like being in a small, family run, trattoria in Southern Italy. Because it is a small, family run trattoria. The owners are charming, and truly want to please their customers.
The regular menu is small, but they have at least six or seven specials nightly.
Alex gave us great service.
The bresaola appetizer was wonderful. Homemade, sliced thin, served over arugula with lots of real parmasean. Delicious. My caprese was very good............but I should try salads that I can't make at home. Not disappointing........just wanted something different.
I had one of the pasta specials. Paccheri......homemade, and, had the most fabulous mouth feel. Larger than rigatoni, but with a great bite. Best homemade pasta I have ever tasted. Served in a fabulous tomato, sausage, spinach sauce. Portions are large.
My wife had the veal marsala, and she loved it. Veal was very tender, smothered in a rich mushroom broth.
Nice touches all around, from the owners coming by, to the homemade bread, the Italian music playing softly in the background. Too full for dessert, but they had 6 or 7 italian specialties from tiramasu (he said it was very light), an amaretto tiramasu, the best (they say) canolli in Sarasota, lemoncello cake, and several others.
This will definitely be our go to Italian place.

1  Thank Dan B
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to Dolce Italia because we wanted to try a new place for date night and read the reviews on trip advisor. I was skeptical after viewing the menu online which appeared very simple. I can tell you, ignore the menu and show up for the daily specials. On our visit they were featuring 6 specials, three of which were with home made pastas, a risotto special and swordfish. There was also a first course special. We enjoyed the cured beef first course with shaved Parmesan and arugula. Our server recommended topping it with lemon and olive oil. Flavors were well balanced but the beef wasn't quite as flavorful as we had hoped. I had the Tremme special. Home made triangular past in a house made tomato sauce with pockets of buffalo mozzarella and mushrooms. Pasta was cooked perfectly and the dish was delicious. It was a bit rich and I couldn't finish it all, but it made for great leftovers. My husband had the risotto with porcini and house made sausage. The risotto was cooked perfectly and was full of flavor. We wanted to have dessert, but were so full, so we opted to take home a piece of home made tiramisu. Which was divine!
The restaurant looks unassuming from the outside but is very quaint on the inside. Service is well versed on the food and efficient. We appreciated how inobtrusive they were since we we on a much needed date.
Only suggestions would be to expand the wine by the glass list (although they do inform guests that you are permitted to take unfinished bottles home with you) and to serve fresh bread, or just don't serve bread at all. With all of the home made dishes, it was off putting to start the meal with stale and boring bread.
We will definitely be send friends to this restaurant and will return ourselves.

1  Thank yumsrq
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Recently our party of five was graciously greeted and served a wonderful meal by a gracious family. Although they were short handed that evening our dining experience was excellent. The food was delicious accompanied by a chianti classico wine. Each diner ordered a different dish which included homemade pasta, sausage, seafood, chicken, veal and canneloni.
Our hosts were very friendly and attentive without being overbearing.
We will return to enjoy another dining experience.

VAS, Sarasota FL & LI NY