“Yum...great "old Florida" vibe!”
Review of Owen's Fish Camp

Owen's Fish Camp
Ranked #24 of 1,144 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Yes, it's loud. And no, they don't take reservations. But the atmosphere and food are both outstanding and worth the wait. I love the beautiful courtyard and front porch for waiting on a warm night. And the gallery next door is lovely for browsing. But come here for the food. The fresh catch, the boil, and the sides are all worth the trip!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,743)

Reviewed February 10, 2014

My Mother and I met our cousin for an early dinner here on Saturday and I'm glad we decided on early because it quickly filled. Without a reservation I'm sure the wait would have been long. The food and service were first rate. I chose the fresh catch of grouper with collard greeens and blackeyed peas w/ sausage and all I can say is Perfection. The grouper was fresh and sweet and cooked perfectly. I ordered my sauce on the side because I prefer to let the fish speak for itself and do not like it to drown it in rich sauce. It isn't necessary for taste; all it does is add a bunch of calories. Very cool little place with outdoor seating and a laid back atmosphere. Nice wine and beer selection at various price points. Will return for certain on my next trip to Florida!!!!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

This place is a giant tourist trap. We had to wait over an hour for a mediocre meal. Also, it is very noisy. We would never return to this restaurant. There are so many good choices in Sarasota that serve good food and are relaxing.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We have been meaning to try Owen's since they opened and just never had the chance. Finally it worked out one evening. Glad we went around 5:30. We were seated right away, and this was on a Monday. By the time we left there was a large group outside waiting to be seated.

We started with the smoked fish spread which was ok. Personally there are other places in town whose smoked fish spread we prefer. We also had an order of their boiled peanuts. There were quite good, large peanuts with a light kick to them.

There were three of us that all had the red snapper which was fresh that night. Each of us had it prepared a different way and each preparation was good and the fish tasted very fresh. ( We are fishermen, so we knew they were good.) We all tried several sides and agreed that the collards were a bit too salty. The slaw was good, but the favorite for each of us was the black eyed peas.

We also had the camp salad which was a good little salad and the fish chowder which had a good amount of fish in it and was very flavorful.

We shared two desserts, the bourbon pecan pie and the Mississippi Mud pie. Both were good, but the Mississippi Mud won out as the favorite.

Other dishes that passed by looked quite good as well. We enjoyed the evening and would like to return to try some of the other dishes.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Love, love this restaurant. The decor is quirky and fun! We love to eat at the bar, only wine and beer which is just fine for us. The food is outstanding and the service is also very good.