“Adventure in dining”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Springfield, Missouri
“Adventure in dining”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Drove over from St. Pete to eat dinner - my wife saw some good reviews posted so had to check this place out. Ordered the snapper - tasted great - though pricey ($29). The cole slaw was good, as were the fish tacos my wife ordered - didn't care much for the red beans & sausage. Server was friendly, though she didn't keep our water glasses filled promptly at first after our meal was served, which was disappointing because the food was a bit on the spicy side. She made up for it though by keeping them full after that which really helped. Loved the surroundings & atmosphere, worth the drive if you have the time!

1 Thank Robert W

Sarasota FL
“It just never disappoints ...”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Gumbo sea food jambalaya my choice "exquisite", corn crusted catfish my partners choice, both very down to earth recipe's of just plain good food. The service goes right along with the fun atmosphere which just engulfs you from the moment you step in to this place. You just cannot go wrong here and it want break the bank either. Casual dress always welcome too.

1 Thank foodone
Sarasota, FL
“Fascinating down-home fish camp environment in downtown Sarasota next to Burns Court Cinema”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

You have to take a good look around Owen's Fish Camp as there is an amazing array of flotsam and jetsam decorating this casual dining and drinking hotspot. VERY crowded sometimes around the "cocktail hour", you may end up waiting for a table or spot at the bar in the charmingly Floridian back yard, but there's lots to look at there too. I'd say it's more of a "happening" place than a gourmet experience, but the raw oysters we had were divine, oysters rockefeller not so great (overcoooked oysters were like little chewy pellets underneath the soso toppings). But I had my first UFO beer there and really liked it (and I'm not the beer enthusiast in our family, but my husband enjoyed the selections). The homey atmosphere is comfortable, and apparently the rest of the menu has appeal because it is usually VERY busy at this pub/restaurant, so you might want to check it out.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank anniemax
Sarasota, Florida
“Good but wouldn't go back.”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Raised in Florida and have eaten in some of the best fish restaurants...but this one did not impress. Unique atmosphere...very well done, but no AC (fans inside and outside seating only)
but that didn't faze me. Location in downtown Sarasota with the shops, so very good local. I ordered the cornmeal catfish which was a good portion and good piece of meat but oilier than I prefer. Cheese grits and collards were great, but I don't go to a seafood restaurant for the sides. Wish I would have ordered the fried green tomato salad instead. My husband ordered the fried basket with shrimp, very good; oyster, very good; crab, too salty; grouper, ok. Fries were good...coleslaw came in an itty bitty lil' cup and per his words, awful. Must be why the portion is small. Glass of wine, over priced. Just OK, wouldn't recommend or go back.

Vail, Arizona
“Original, mixed review”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We showed up around 6:30 on a Tuesday and were seated right away. As mentioned earlier the parking is a challenge. We had to park around the corner but within 2 minute walk.
The restaurant is set up to look old and worn looking. They purposely try to put unmatched glasses on each table. I guess that is the mood they are going for.
Our waiter was good an we received our food super quick. I had the fish and chips, which were excellent and my wife had the scallops which were below average. They needed to be cooked another minute she thought. Based on my meal I would go back, based on my wife's, she wouldn't return.
We decided that we could recommend it as a better lunch place than a dinner place.