“Great food but....”
Review of MoZaic

MoZaic
Reserve with OpenTable
MoZaic is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #126 of 1,031 Restaurants in Sarasota
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pineapple Avenue
Description: At Mozaic, we are committed to a guest-friendly cuisine that is seasonal and market driven, utilizing fruits and vegetables from local farmers and seafood from surrounding waters. Mozaic's dinner menu features an exciting variety of polished dishes ranging from starters and small plates to hearty entrees and indulgent desserts. Our new modern American small plate menu emphasizes sharing and seasonality, served with a side of Mozaic’s signature artistic flair. Our cuisine is not defined by a specific geographical area, but rather reflects a mosaic of cultures and influences. The ingredients we use are sourced locally whenever possible and are not strange or exotic, but really quite familiar and the flavors are intoxicating.
Sarasota, Florida
“Great food but....”
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

I really enjoy the food I've had from this fabulous chef but.... Then there's the rest. I've had some fabulous serving staff and others less so. When dining solo or have brought a guest, they ( the hostess) often tries to seat me at a table adjacent to the bar. Do I need to offer her a tip for a decent table? I'd understand if the place was crowded, but that's not the case. I look forward to going here but often leave disappointed over the service but never the food. The occasional wine lunch is a fantastic bargain, great food, great wine, no pressure. I wish I could say only fabulous things about this restaurant and it's wonderful food.

Huntsville, Alabama
“A Little Bit Of Moracco In Sarasota”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

My wife and I love MoZaic. When we travel to see family in Tampa, we take time and drive another hour south to Sarasota just to eat at MoZaic. My wife is from Morocco and she has never felt that any Moroccan or Moroccan style restaurant comes as close as MoZaic’s food to being authentic Moroccan style. But don’t let that put you off, the chef puts his own spin and fusion with other styles that even restaurants in Moracco would find difficult to match. We absolutely love the food at MoZaic. We’ve eaten many times there and have never had a bad meal. Be warned, we recommend making resurvations as it’s a popular spot. As for the service, impeccable! We always have the same waiter or request to be seated in his section. He is professional, elegant and so very accommodating. I’ll spare giving his name, as to not embarrass him. The décor is colorful yet not over the top. But that’s my opinion and I’m not a decorator. Never the less, I’d eat there even if there was graffiti on the walls because the food and service are astounding! We love MoZaic and as long as it maintains the same Chef and service staff, my wife and I will continue to dine there.

1 Thank The_Wondering_One
New York
“Colorful, like the name - great Savor Value”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I can't add a lot to what's been said, particularly about its offerings during Savor Sarasota summer specials. Having sampled a few restaurants, it's true that as some comments reflect, the menus differ in terms of how many dishes are offered on the special menus, and some offer some fancy fare but "no substitutions" or other restrictions. I know many locals enjoy sampling , just as in New York we have a restaurant week and both visitors and locals can reap the benefits.

So I found Mozaic to be very pleasant, with bright tropical feel and lots of sun from the street. I do understand how for some it may be annoying to have so many "pop-up" additional charges for large bits of the supposedly "special", "price fix" menus, but here as elsewhere, it's just part of the package, as I see it. YMMV Also, as I look at the regular menu and the 3 dishes with surcharges, I see that the usual divers' scallops dish costs $33 by itself, so... the deal of 3 courses for $29 is still very good given the exquisite dishes, and the extra high cost add-ons, well - they exist, just as do some bargain prices on normally super-costly dishes now made more affordable on the special and summer dinner menus.

The atmosphere was pleasant and the food was very good, carefully prepared, attentively served, and the walls were covered with paintings on exhibit in addition to a mosaic of Mozaic art.

They are proud of their extensive wine collection. We did well with their recommended "Lazy Creek" Pinot Noir.

Some of the Savor menus are an appetizer, main, and dessert. Some are soup, salad, entree. This menu offered 3 solid dishes, soup, first course, main course, but not including dessert. Dish 1 included an "asparagus vichyssoise with parsley buttered croutons and zesty goat cheese", a curry pear soup, roasted corn and tomato soup, or for us (and I see for others) the winner was "Sopa Valenciana of Lobster and Clam with saffron picada". Dish 2 offered escargots and mushroom fracassee, spinach ricotta gnocci (which I chose and loved), organic greens, salt cod, pancetta (or for $6 extra the very expensive diver scallops, which are indeed very expensive, always).

Dish 3, the big one. Here there were 7 choices + 2 upgrade options (Mediterranean bronzino or Australian lamb rack). Included as price fixe were a baked lemon sole, "Provencal seafood bourride of wild Argentinean shrimp, clams and dorado...", free-range pork porterhouse, roasted cornish hen, artichoke and mozzarelli ravioli with asparagus (a good choice for vegetarians?). The winner for us (and others, clearly) was the "Star anise smoked duck breast, cherry bread pudding and crystallized ginger orange glaze".

If that all sounds delicious, it is. For such a light and airy place (though in a chic little area of downtown, opposite a small artsy park), there was unexpectedly serious gourmet cooking happening here. Sure, it's on the pricey side in general, but good, and with this special (and others) there are some great opportunities to sample their wonderful offerings at a discount.

Oh yes, desserts are "optional, additional $6". Of course they are rich-chocolaty delicious.

I do understand why some may be irked at all the additional choices (going off or beyond the actual "specials" while listed on the specials menu). Some may appreciate it, others love the fact that with most Savor Sarasota offerings, there's no big decisions to make, other than one from column a, one from column b... Here there are options, both basic and deluxe. It's all good.

“Great Food!”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We went to Mozaic as part of Savor Sarasota. We had a wonderful meal, and the service was perfect! The Sopa Valenciana was delicious, the duck breast was the best I've ever had, and the chocolate dessert was incredible! We're so glad to have found this restaurant - we will be back!

Charlotte
“Excellent Food and Service”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This was recommended by the Ritz in Sarasota. It was walking distance, superb food, wine and service. Also, it happen to be restaurant week and we got 3 courses for $29. It was a deal !!!!
Especially good were my scallops and lamb ! Would eat there again tomorrow.