“A Bit Disappointing”

Description: Phone: 941-366-0070
Plantation, Florida
“A Bit Disappointing”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

While the food was very good, and the restaurant (we sat on the porch) is homey, comfortable and in a quiet location, we found the service just so-so. It wasn't extremely busy, yet the owner's wife seemed hassled and only thanked us on our way out. It was my husband's birthday. We asked for a candle in the cake. When my husband came out of the bathroom, the waiter was in front of him with the candle in the cake. My husband said "I think I should go in front of you" and the waiter either didn't hear him, didn't understand - and my husband followed the cake.

Sarasota, Florida
“A strange experience”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Four of us had reservations for dinner a few nights ago. The restaurant is very nice looking - a bucolic setting in the middle of town, very nicely set tables, a handsome room and a charming porch. And the food was really excellent. The menu has several "rules," and these are a bit off-putting. But, and it was a big but, the service that night was pretty awful. They seemed to be totally understaffed. It took us over half an hour after being seated just to place a wine order. And then our waitress vanished. After we had finished more than half the wine, our waitress reappeared to take our food order - and she seemed anxious to get back to something else - the kitchen? Another table? Hard to tell. Questions about preparations and ingredients were answered, but impatiently and briefly. It took several requests to get more bread. the busboy started clearing while some of us were still eating. We'll go back for another try, but in this case it'll be two strikes and you're out.

2 Thank IntlTravler
Sarasota, FL
“Lush and calm”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Recent lunch on the veranda at Lavanda in Towles Court. Wonderful setting, away from traffic and crowds. Great menu, served in very reasonable time, very good, abundant salad, unobtrusive service that was very accommodating. Good wine by the glass, no hurrying of diners. Have been here for dinner, too – still good service and food. We will definitely be back.

1 Thank definiteopinions
Sarasota, Florida, USA
“Wouldn't recommend to a friend...enemy maybe.”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone who I actually liked. While the setting was beautiful, the food was mediocre at best. The service was average and wasn't anything to brag about, especially considering how slow the evening was. I'll never go here again. I wouldn't even consider buying a groupon for this restaurant...it was that bad. If this is how they treat their customers I feel bad for the help.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Ian P
Sarasota, Florida
“Bucking the trend”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The reviews are why we came to Lavanda;the experience will not bring us back.The service was perfect and the porch is a great place to have a meal.The food was average and the price was a little on the high side.I had the fish stew(as indicated in the menu) however;the server clarified the dish by saying it was more a dry stew. it wasn't dry but wasn't a stew as indicated in the menu. I dislike a meal when I get the impression the kitchen counted the one shrimp and 2 scallops. It's a personal pet peeve ; but I think it takes portion control to an extreme when you're spending $100 for dinner.
My companion had a veal chop that was satisfactory. She ordered the small salad; and thought it was ordinary for $9 .We did not drink or the tab would have exceeded $100 with ease.
We didn't have any appetizers so no comment.

• Visited January 2013