“A treat for special occasions”
Review of Cafe Gabbiano

Cafe Gabbiano
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Gabbiano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 1,031 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Canal
Description: Cafe Gabbiano is the best Italian fine dining experience on Siesta Key! We invite you to enjoy our carefully prepared authentic Italian cuisine and a world class selection of wine.
sarasota
“A treat for special occasions”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Our family went to Gabbiano's last night and all of us had a spectacular meal. We had small children and they were well-contained in a small alcove away from other diners and all were happy with their "kid menu" fair. The fish was perfect, pasta homemade, and the wine cellar complimented the cuisine. The prices were on the upper level but the service and ambiance make Gabbianos a treat to savor when celebrating with those you love.

• Visited December 2013
Marc G, Owner at Cafe Gabbiano, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
We're always happy to host a special meal, Pam. Thanks for choosing us for your celebration. I'm thrilled to hear everything was a hit among your family. We'd be delighted to have you all back anytime.

Take care,

Beverly Hills, Michigan
“Relaxing, diverse menu, well prepared meal”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We have a condo on Siesta Key but haven't really lived there, just visited. We are now spending more time in Sarasota. We were happy to find Cafe Gabbiano. The setting is relaxing, our meals have been well prepared and delicious and I have always found the service to be very good and certainly responsive. I like the alternative to the "beach-y" restaurants, which are fun, but when you have guests and want a more quiet, relaxed atmosphere, this restaurant fits perfectly. I have been impressed with the quality and "taste" of their home vineyard wines. Our last pick, the Montepulciano, was well balanced and satisfying. I usually have the Linguine Pescatora and my husband likes and enjoys the Lasagna Bolognese. The prices reflect a more expansive dining experience and I did not feel they were out of line.

Marc G, Owner at Cafe Gabbiano, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
We're so happy to hear you and husband are fans of what we do, Sue. It's always a pleasure to welcome in new and familiar faces. Anytime you're in the area, we'd be delighted to have you in for a delicious meal.

Cheers,
Marc, Owner
“Missing the specific Italian atmosphere ..but overall it was just ok”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Food was good,but nothing special for the price we paid.Service so and so..not so good.We had to ask our waiter for the specials.He was asking us if we were ready for giving him the order after 4-5 mins we sat down .We basically poured our wine in the glasses,not offering fresh pepper for any dish we had,not offering coffee or cappuccino ....not willing to upsell ,I guess.Crumbling the table?!No.
Atmosphere was not so special as I expected...The music was somewhere outside ,I guess.I hardly could hear it.Don't expect at something classic Italian!!!
They didn't recognize our special occasion either,even if when I made the reservation I told them about our special event.We expected ,like in other restaurants from this category ,to say in the end at least "happy anniversary",but nobody said.

1 Thank Andreramm
Marc G, Owner at Cafe Gabbiano, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
I'm very sorry we didn't meet your expectations. From the sounds of it, we didn't do our best to give you a memorable evening. I can assure you that our team is capable of doing much better. I'd be happy to mention this instance to everyone in hopes that this won't occur again. Please accept my sincerest apologies and know we don't take your feedback lightly.

I know we've got what it takes to give you a night worth remembering for years to come. If you're ever in the mood for some Italian or even just a glass of wine, please consider joining us again. If you decide to come back in, please ask for myself or Peter so we can make up for our shortcomings your last visit.

All the best,
Venice, Florida
“Good but living off location”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We went with friends Saturday night after hearing many good things but also reading reviews which suggested it didn't always meet expectations. How true both thoughts, friendly, mostly professional service though Open Table reservation doesn't get you best location on the porch and certainly not inside. Food was two to three hits and equal number of misses. The advertised Allen Brothers filet was not as good as you can buy at Publix but at $41 it should be much better. My sole Meniere was good but not equal to restaurants less expensive in New England. I saved my biggest fault for last. Almost all the house wine is their own label. The Sauvignon Blanc had turned and was undrinkable and the replacement Pinot Grigio was not much better. I tasted my wife's Chardonnay and not much better either. So beware and look for other alternatives by the glass. I might add I got a real look from the waiter who replaced my first offering. I would have challenged him if not with group of friend's. So bottom line, living off location, much better true Italian places in the area, and they have an attitude because of that location. There is a reason they are rated no higher than 100+ out of many on Trip Advisor in Sarasota.

2 Thank Jack R
Marc G, Owner at Cafe Gabbiano, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
I'm sorry you didn't leave us more impressed with your meal, Jack. Please know we're always interested in hearing from our guests whether it's good or back feedback. I can assure you that we will take every word to heart while moving forward and I'll mention your concerns about the food and the service to the rest of the team. In the meantime, please accept my apologies for the lackluster experience. I hope that you will give us another shot so we can really 'wow' you.

All the best,
Bradenton, Florida
“Loved Gabbiano but too expensive to go to again”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I loved our experience at Cafe Gabbiano in Siesta. However, we have decided that $100 dinners for the two of us are 'probably not worth it." Nice while it is happening, but not worth it. So, we are probably not going to go here again. The waiter was excellent; the veal was awesome. lt was an awesome dinner. OH, there was a long black hair on the table which the waiter kindly took away.

Marc G, Owner at Cafe Gabbiano, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Though I'm so glad you two enjoyed yourself while you were with us, I'm sorry you feel it wasn't worth the bill in the end. Please know that your server would be happy to point out some dishes that are a little easier on your wallet if you decide to join us again. I'm sure we can please both your pocketbook and your stomach. Hope to see you once again for a lovely meal.

Cheers,