“Pelican was Perfect!!”

Lucky Pelican
Ranked #26 of 1,029 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sarasota, Florida
“Pelican was Perfect!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

This doesn't require a lengthy write up. Everything about our first visit to the Lucky Pelican was fantastic! Incredible food, service and hood vibes!

• Visited May 2014

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Apparently, I need to choose better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

Came here based on yelp reviews with my girlfriend, brother and mother. They all liked it much more than I did. I liked it, and I would definitely go to 3.5 stars if I had a half star, but I didn't like it enough to round up and the service left a bit to be desired, so I am rounding down.

Service - the server was friendly, just not very attentive. We told him at one point that we needed a few more minutes to order, and he disappeared for 15. Our order, once placed, took at least another 30 minutes, and nothing we got was that complicated. I think we were here for close to 2 hours, and for a weekday dinner at a place that is not fine dining, 2 hours is too long.

Food - everyone I was with really liked it, so maybe it was what I ordered, but I wasn't blown away. It was good. Definitely worthy of that extra 1/2 star, but not much more. I got their ocean burrito - a wrap filled with Spicy Shrimp, Cod, Crawfish, Fresh Corn Salsa, Cilantro, Cheese and Jambalaya Rice with a spice sauce on the side. I was still in New Orleans mode, so I saw that, and I jumped on it, but it was disappointing. Maybe my own fault for going creole after having just been in the creole capital - after all, how can Sarasota do creole better than NOLA? They can't. I should have known better. Again, I want to stress this was good, but there were obviously better things on the menu based on the reactions of everyone else.

So don't let my review scare you away - I was the lone disappointed person in this group. And they were busy, so clearly I was the crazy one. Just don't get the ocean burrito, and you should be fine.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank tbow77
Denville, New Jersey
“Great fish!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

We went with family who lives near for dinner and had a wonderful dinner of very fresh fish with great sauces. Yes it is busy in the winter and you have to either go early or wait for a table but this is a great neighborhood restaurant with friendly wait staff. We loved it so much we went back for a lunch. Next time we are in the area, we will return.

• Visited February 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Great English Style Fish and Chips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

We, from Canada, are very used to getting quality english style fish and chips. This restaurant is the only place in Sarasota where we were very impressed with the quality of fish and the breading. They came steaming hot and plenty off! We went back twice to have them and will go again next season. The wait time to get into this restaurant can be quite long and no reservations accepted, but they are very organized and everyone seems happy while they wait. The dining area is quite noisy, so if you are after quiet this place is not for you.

• Visited March 2014
Statesboro, Georgia, United States
“Nice find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Very good local restaurant. They have a robust seafood menu. I ordered the grilled cod, which was one of many fish options to choose from. The only challenge they have is that the restaurant is not that large, but they are very busy, so you will almost certainly need to wait for a table.