“Your tastebuds will dance with delight but you may perspire.”
Review of Gateway To India - CLOSED

Gateway To India
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Gateway to India is nestled in a row of competitive restaurants on Hillview Avenue, but holds its own. If you like new tastes, interesting combinations, and hot (and I mean HOT--if so desired) spicy foods, do try this fine restaurant. Lamb Vindaloo is the hothot favorite of my husband and myself, though I have to pace myself and drink lots of water, but chicken Tandoori is also delicious. You may request the amount of heat you desire and the kitchen will accommodate. We also, on our last visit, and we plan to go often, tried an appetizer called "Vegetable Pakora" which had the crispiest coating around a veggie center that was delicious, especially dipped in their special sauces.There is a large list of vegetarian offerings. The decor in the restaurant is very beautiful a la India, and we prefer the back room, which has more of a sense of privacy and coziness. Service was prompt and attentive (more water!!) but just one thing needs improvement, --the beers tend to be on the warm side and Americans prefer their beers COLD, but as we heard another patron mention this matter to the waiter, perhaps that lesson has been learned by the time you read this.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We were delightfully surprised at the quality of the cooking at this little restaurant just off the Tamiami Trail, in a neighbor of small restaurants and bars. Area is fun and this place is special. Lots of ethnic customers (with families in tow) on Saturday night outings underscored the setting. Service was prompt and friendly but food was a bit slow to arrive--primarily because they actually cook to order, rather than re-heating previously prepared dishes. A special treat!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

The menu warns patrons that quality Indian food takes time to prepare. I don't know what kind of impatient patrons they are accustomed to seeing, but ours was delivered in respectable time. To be fair, though, it was early in the evening and we were one of the first tables there at the time. Maybe the service gets slower as the restaurant fills up, but personally I'm okay with the evening meal taking longer to prepare if it is good quality. I'll save my demands for sudden service for the busy mid day time slot.

The chicken tikka masala (mild) was pleasant with no rough edges. The onion kulcha was wonderful. The peshawari naan was amazing. It could almost be a desert by itself.

Overall it came across as a middle of the road Indian restaurant and fare. They accomplished this quite well. Didn't hurt that the prices were pretty reasonable too.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We have eaten at many Indian Restaurants and never before were charged for a second basket of papadam and for a small bowl of mint sauce to go with. They did serve onions with the papadam. The food was decent, but we were irritated by the extra charges. Also, we were fascinated when the man sitting next to us called the waiter over, pointed to something on the floor, and announced he and his companion were leaving. We spent the rest of the meal trying to guess what it was.

1  Thank linfor1
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I had a craving for Indian food the other night, so we stopped at the Gateway for dinner. Everything was superb: chicken tikka masala, biryani, naan. We left the restaurant in a state of euphoria. It was not inexpensive, but worth every penny. Two days later I came back for the $10 lunch buffet. Wish I hadn't. Although there were many choices, the food lacked the rich flavors we found on our evening visit, and some of the sauces were downright watery. If you really want to find out how good Indian food can be, come for dinner, not lunch. Note that the restaurant has its own parking lot, which is great because Hillview can be very crowded.

2  Thank Ron C