Tripadvisor
Sarasota
All reviews vw bus valet parking pool area different temperature pools outdoor ping pong mid century modern charming receptionist bit firm name implies front desk free valet cold pool large hot tub grand opening marriott property great employees valet guys
Selected filters
Reviewed January 10, 2020 via mobile

What a great boutique style hotel! Thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The view of the Sarasota skyline (which is expanding rapidly) and between the buildings the bay, was beautiful. The hotel has a very tropical open feel to it Comfortable airy and bright, its really relaxing. There is a great pool area and pool bar anything you’d want is within walking distance from coffee shops, to restaurants and bars The rooms are quiet and mine a mini suite w kitchen and a great balcony that included a claw footed tub and shower set up w curtain. Very unique!

The people are cheerful and willing to assist at any time. Early flight, so they kept my rental car upfront for my 4:30a departure.

This place has everything. I’ll definitely stay again

Trip type: Traveled on business
YanaShtrak, Front Office Manager at The Sarasota Modern, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2020

Dear Anywhere_I_Can, on behalf of the entire hotel team, we want to thank you for sharing your most memorable experiences with us during your recent stay at the Sarasota Modern, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel. It is always encouraging to hear positive feedback, particularly when it comes from those who matter the most – you! By taking pride in putting people first, we are not only executing the mission of our founders, but exceeding the expectations of our valued guests. Please note your feedback has been shared with the hotel team as a critical way of understanding how we can continue to deliver great experiences.
Thank you for staying at the Sarasota Modern, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel and we hope you choose to create more memories here whenever your travels bring you back to Sarasota. Sincerely, Yana Shtrak

Reviewed January 6, 2020

We arrived 12/26 in the wee hours of the AM due to flight issues. We notified this hotel that we would be arriving late (after 1AM). Upon arrival, and no transportation, we called this hotel and was told their van was ‘broke down’ so no free shuttle (which they advertise in their ad). We finally secured a taxi for the 4 mile commute. Upon check in, the gal at the desk told us sorry, she cancelled our room because she figured we weren’t coming - but don’t worry because they still had rooms. But she wasn’t able to get into their computer system. After 20 minutes and her apologies, we got a room on the second floor. She gave us drink and breakfast tickets for our inconvenience, which we appreciated. The free valet is nice and handy, however the front desk does not dispense change (we tip the valet staff). What front desk doesn’t have change?? Either we or the front desk staff had to get change from the bar. Frustrating. When we saw our room in daylight on our first day, the corners were dirty - hair and stones (yes, some pebbles) in the corner. I complained to front desk. They said: oh my, we will send someone to clean. Room did appear cleaner later that day. We saw the pools however would not use them because there appeared to be dirt on the bottom, esp in the corners and along the sides on the bottom. On our last full day, we did go in the pool because the sun was hot but were careful not to step in the dirt. We did mention the pool condition to staff and noticed that the pool appeared cleaner on the day we checked out. Also, regarding the pool, we had no where to sit and noticed how crowded it was, only to be told by a visitor who lives across the street at another facility, that this hotel opens their pools up to the public on weekends for free. My husband and I were disappointed to hear this, especially given this was a holiday weekend?!?! The subsequent cleanliness of the room over the next several days was sub-quality: the towels were not all replenished, nor was the coffee packets or cream. The wine glasses were taken but not replenished with clean ones. There is no light over the coffee area so you can’t see how much water to put in the coffee pot. (I had to use the flashlight app on my phone so I didn’t overfill it). Again, I let the management know that this is a logistical issue and they may wanna consider a light in the ceiling so one can see what they’re doing?? At one point, I took a list of 6 things that had not been done to our room (on Day 3?) to the front desk. The gal on duty was understanding and aghast and said she would send someone up right away. Later, when we returned, there were items still not completed. We awoke to construction noise and whistles blowing from a high rise that is being built in close proximity to this hotel, including noise on a Saturday morning. A positive was that the restaurant was decent however the menu was always the same. They had no sugar-free syrup (disappointing). The wait staff was very pleasant, the food was good and decent portions. The bar was nice along with the staff as well. My husband is a titanium member with Marriott and we will be escalating our experience to Marriott. For what we paid per night, our experience and quality with this hotel was very disappointing. Maybe this was because we were informed by this hotel staff that 3 staff had quit that week, right before NYE and that this was the reason for all the issues. Not our problem...in fact, we should have been given a discount for all the quality issues we experienced. On our last evening at this hotel, we inquired where their printer was so that we could print out boarding passes for the flight home the next day. We were informed they don’t have a printer that will print boarding passes. Seriously?? It was just one thing after another at this place. We were frustrated beyond words and just anxious to check the heck out and go home. We will never return to this hotel.

Date of stay: December 2019
1  Thank bhumreviewer
YanaShtrak, Front Office Manager at The Sarasota Modern, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2020

Dear Bhumreviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback.The experience you described is not characteristic of the level of service our associates strive to provide. I would love the opportunity to hear more about your recent stay in an effort to prevent this issue from occurring in the future.
Please feel free to contact me via email at yana.shtrak@thesarasotamodern.com . I look forward to speaking with you in order to restore your confidence in the Sarasota Modern, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel.
We sincerely apologize again for falling short of meeting your expectations. As a teachable moment, we have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure the necessary guidelines are in place to prevent cleanliness and service issues from occurring in the future.
Once again, thank you for your valued feedback and we hope to serve you again whenever your travels bring you back to Sarasota.

Reviewed January 6, 2020

The modern loft rooms were great for our older kids. We had a balcony room as well that was very nice. I love the downtown location. Valet parking made it very easy in and out. The pool area was great with wooden lounge chairs.

Dear Rick L,
On behalf of the entire hotel team, we want to thank you for sharing your most memorable experiences with us during your recent stay at the Sarasota Modern, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel.It is always encouraging to hear positive feedback, particularly when it comes from those who matter the most – you! By taking pride in putting people first, we are not only executing the mission of our founders, but exceeding the expectations of our valued guests.
Please note your feedback about loft rooms and valet parking has been shared with the hotel team.Thank you for staying at the Sarasota Modern, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel and we hope you choose to create more memories here whenever your travels bring you back to Sarasota.

yana.shtrak@thesarasotamodern.com

Reviewed January 6, 2020

So I booked this Hotel and was a bit skeptical because of the reviews - but the rooms looked so nice, I really wanted to stay here because there is nothing like it in Germany... and we loved it!!! We checked in with Juan- he was SO great and helpful! We had a beautiful room (the design is so amazing!) even the elevator is really cool. Valet parking was free so my husband was happy (he hates paying for valet) and breakfast was great! We had a lovely waiter. We were checked out buy a charming receptionist with long blond hair (forgot to ask for her name) and are happy and on our way to siesta beach ;) will definitely come again!!!!

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear Himberrys,on behalf of the entire hotel team, we want to thank you for sharing your most memorable experiences with us during your recent stay at the Sarasota Modern, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel. It is always encouraging to hear positive feedback, particularly when it comes from those who matter the most – you! By taking pride in putting people first, we are not only executing the mission of our founders, but exceeding the expectations of our valued guests. Please note your feedback has been shared with the hotel team as a critical way of understanding how we can continue to deliver great experiences. Thank you for staying at the Sarasota Modern, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel and we hope you choose to create more memories here whenever your travels bring you back to Sarasota.
Best Regards, Yana Shtrak

Reviewed December 31, 2019 via mobile

Checked in NYE 2019 with my husband and 6 month old baby. The room reeked of dog, had dog food crumbs on the floor, with dirty sheets - mascara on the sheets. I asked for a room change and the second room smelled equally bad - like a kennel. Asked to speak with a manager but no one came. Apparently the managers were all busy cleaning rooms on NYE. Rooms were $500/night on NYE btw. We used 40K points/night

3 hours later, a sour faced rep by the name of Yana approaches me in the lobby and has the unchecked temerity to tell me 'there's nothing I can do'. When did vacuuming and clean sheets become a lofty request for a hotel room???

We are Titanium Elite members with Marriott and couldn't believe the piss poor service. This hotel is a joke. We first stayed there NYE 2018 when it was newly opened. Service was mediocre but at least it was clean. A year later, it's apparent this particular hotel is poorly managed and honestly a joke and a disgrace to the Marriott/Sheraton brand.

Do yourself a favor - pick Art Ovation instead. I really wanted this hotel to be my favorite because the pool is lovely but cleanliness trumps ALL with hotels. We called Marriott Bonvoy to escalate the matter around 8pm and the rep couldn't believe how rude the staff were to her, lending credence to our complaint.

We checked out and couldn't get another hotel room anywhere in town. I'm absolutely furious at this hotel and their management because they clearly couldn't handle the NYE demand and ruined our plans.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
YanaShtrak, Front Office Manager at The Sarasota Modern, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2020

Dear Jjay_Flower