“Yum . . with a capital Y!”

Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse
Ranked #79 of 1,144 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 19, 2014

It's been awhile since we've been to Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse and now we wonder why! Both of us ordered the NY Strip medium and it was cooked to perfection.

The wine list allowed me many choices for a red wine by the glass while my hubby enjoyed Woodford Reserve. And an appetizer of shrimp cocktail was delicious and the tails were huge. Again, these were properly prepared.

The sides we ordered were the brussel sprouts & creamed spinach both would be enough to share for a table of 4, but we each wanted something different. We had some to take home for an omelet in the morning.

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews I was a touch nervous, but my over all experience was great.

Valet was normal. Reviews said he was a dick.

Wait staff was amazing. I had the best impression of service. However I would say that they need haircuts, shaves and dry cleaning of the white jackets they wear.

The food was hit and miss.

The bread they bring out was very good but they need to just bring pretzel rolls and make them a touch bigger to help with spreading butter.

The lobster Mac and cheese was out of this world. Of you go this is a must try.

Both the Cesar and wedge salads were very good.

The Steak Dijon (cooked medium/well) was the best steak I have tasted in a long time.

The 16oz ribeye (cooked medium rare) was close to cold and was pretty fatty and had a more than fair amount of grizzle.

The creme brûlée was meh and burnt.

The cheese cake (plain) was the best I have had. The server even brought me chocolate syrup when he noticed I was on the fence.

Total bill $136.10

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Been here once before and the first thing that pops to mind is that it matched my earlier experience and expectations spot on.
The bar area is inviting and enjoyable. The food in the restaurant is great. Our party had mainly fish and one filet mignon. All cooked to perfection.
A point to consider. The restaurant was fully booked and in our booth it was too noisy to have a good conversation with he 4 of us. So we had paired (the men on one side and our wives on the other side) conversations mainly.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

In late January, we made a reservation to celebrate my wife's birthday based upon the many good reviews we had read about this restaurant. We were in search of a good steakhouse in the manatee/Sarasota area and had done a lot of research on this. All of the reviews pointed to this being everything that would make this special occasion a memorable one.

The moment we stepped in the restaurant we were greeted by the maitre'd with the words "how can I help you" with a look that telegraphed "You don't belong here and have entered our fine establishment to seek directions to the nearest McDonald's" . We did have leather jackets (it was cold in late January) but other than that we wore what would be considered to be dressy casual clothes beneath. No shorts or t-shirts. After informing him that we had a reservation, he bravely put on a smile and escorted us to our table.

We chose to forget the frosty reception considering it was a special occasion. The table was located in a nice area and we liked the decor and ambiance. We had a chance to peruse through the menu and felt excited at the prospect of a fine dining experience. The wait staff came out promptly and took our orders. We went with a bottle of wine, splitting a salad (recommended by our waitress), ordering 2 sides and two porterhouse steaks. The prices were quite a bit on the high side, but this was a special occasion and it was a nice restaurant, so it didn't matter.

The salad was large, very nice and turned out to be the best part of the dining experience. Baby greens with goat cheese. The sides were steak fries and potatoes au gratin with gruyere cheese. The sides and steak came out at the same time. Everything looked good except that the fries looked like French fries. After we dug into the food, the fries were barely warm and limp. The potatoes au gratin had no flavor. Tasted like baked potatoes with cheese on top. This was the issue with both steaks as well. My wife had ordered her's medium well while I had ordered mine medium. My steak looked great until I tried to cut off a piece. It was quite undercooked to the point of being rare. I don't have an issue with rare beef but do have a problem with meat that is more gristle and fat than meat. Thankfully, my wife's steak was a better cut than mine. After gamely trying to eat the fries, I decided that I couldn't take it anymore. The server apologized for the fries and I chose to replace them with whipped garlic potatoes instead. The whipped potatoes came out looking very pale but a shade warmer than the fries. The texture of the whipped potatoes was grainy, with little taste of any garlic. After trying to convince myself that they were special, I couldn't delude myself that they didn't have the same grainy texture of instant mashed potatoes. I decided to focus on the steak and after filling a side plate full of gristly and fatty pieces, I finally gave up. We decided to have them wrap up our food and took a chance on a dessert. Apple pie a la mode! It came out looking great but after a couple of bites we had to give up. The dough was undercooked and soggy, with a paste like consistency. The a la mode part (vanilla ice cream) was excellent, though it comprised of 2 tiny gonad sized balls. The only thing that they obviously didn't make in the restaurant was the best part of the dining experience.

On the good side, other than the pompous maitre' d, the wait staff was very courteous and friendly and the ambience was nice. Unfortunately, we will be chalking this restaurant to our list of "never again". The next time we want to spend upward of $200 we will go to Bern's.

2  Thank vs123456632
Reviewed February 7, 2014

My two lady friends and I checked out the Happy Hour Specials advertised on the front of the restaurant--martinis and small appetizer plates at special prices from 4 to 6:30PM. The bar area is to the right as you enter the restaurant and if you go behind the bar there are more tables and chairs and booths, plus couches and plush chairs for complete relaxation. Our martinis were a bit more than the advertised $5 because "special"--the pear martini quite delicious, the Cosmopolitan a little too limey for my taste, but my companions enjoyed their choices and soon we were laughing too loud and making jokes with Adam, our patient waiter. The appetizers seemed a bit uninteresting to me, sliders with their top of the line beef; a flatbread idea like a minimal cheese pizza,; shrimp in batter with a tasty dip (our most pleasing choice), But the atmosphere is the thing, dark with colorful lights on the bottles, bathrooms with lady pleasing decor, and further in where the real restaurant resides, a drawing room palette of woodsy notes, individual rooms for parties (one of which has a real fireplace!) and more or less an inner sanctum you only see if you have dinner. But Happy Hour is a good way to check it out, and we had a great time for a relatively reasonable price.

1  Thank anniemax