“Mattison Covers All Bases” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mattison's Forty-One

Mattison's Forty-One
Reserve with OpenTable
Mattison's Forty-One is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #131 of 1,026 Restaurants in Sarasota
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Chef Paul Mattison invites you to join us and experience Mattison's Forty-One's elegant, friendly, fun, and comfortable atmosphere. Winner of Florida Trend Magazine's prestigious Golden Spoon Award the menu includes fresh seafood; Mattison's signature meat dishes like lamb, aged beef, and duck; we have a complete tapas menu, including sushi, calamari, Chef Paul Mattison's signature Artichokes Esther, fresh salads, and more. Mattison's Forty-One serves lunch, dinner and Sunday Brunch. There is live music and dancing every night along with nightly specials and events including Early Happy Hour, Girls Night Out, Wine-Pairing Dinners, Cooking Demonstrations and more. The Galleria is a beautiful complete catering facility seating up to 100 people.
Venice, Florida
“Mattison Covers All Bases”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have had two recent experiences at this Restaurant. On October 18 I hosted a group of ten friends for a celebration at dinner time. I advised the Restaurant a week ahead so they would be prepared for us. And prepared they were! They had our table ready and beautifully set prior to our arrival. The group decided to hang by the piano bar prior to seating and that was fine. Our table would still be there for when we wanted it. We were introduced to our waiter who took note of the wines we wanted to have with our meals. The bartender graciously team worked with the table waiter to consolidate the bar drinks with the meal check. We had a great time! Everyone ordered their own selection and all dishes came out perfect. The waiter was most attentive to everybody's needs and kept the wine flowing uninterruptedly (while always checking with me when a new bottle was needed). We partied for about three or four hours, enjoying some dancing by the piano while at the table and at the end of our meal. A common dessert had been prepared ahead of time for us and it was carved individually to seal our evening.
First base: The Food (it was excellent)
Second base. The Atmosphere (elegant and comfortable) Good piano performance.
Third base: The Service (exceptionally attentive and accommodating) Very professional
Home plate: The Cost (the check did not break the bank)

My second experience was November 10. Three couples, we were sat in a very comfortable round table for six. Our server (a different one) was again most accommodating, experienced, and knowledgeable about the various food offerings. All dishes were exceptionally good (six different selections). Again the four bases covered. Fast, efficient and professionally dealt with.
Was I lucky or what?

• Visited November 2013

Florida Keys, Florida
“Disappointed and wont return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

I really didn't know much about this restaurant but had been to the City Grille location - it was OK- and I wanted to give all of the Mattisons a go. I have also driven by this location often (as other reviewers had!) and wanting to try something different, my 17 year old daughter and I decided to try it. We went on a Sunday about 4:45 and we thought the place was closed due to the lack of cars in the lot as well as the lack of anyone in the entryway when we went in. (It is season her in Florida and with the increase of visitors, we expected to wait!) However, we were finally greeted and seated immediately in a very back booth even though there wasn't anyone else in the restaurant.

We were very surprised at the formality of the restaurant itself. The outside is brick and the entry seems fairly casual. However, the stuffiness of the décor really surprised me. I must say that the wait staff was exceptional that is for sure. We have no complaints however, for the price of the meal, I didn't think the portion size nor the ambiance deserved the price. The quality of the food for the most part was good. However, the steak that they said was a specialty was almost totally fatty and a true disappointment, especially for the price. The calamari appetizer was very small, yet it was tasty. An herbed bread was served along with an herbed butter (one or the other would be sufficient). The wine list by the glass was very limited - I felt this was unusual due to the Mattison's involvement in the wine fest as well as other social engagements.

The salmon which I was told was wild caught was very nice - but there was no creativeness with the sides - asparagus and mashed potatoes. (which I will admit were good) However, with the price tag associated with this restaurant - which we were unaware of when we decided to go- I would assume something spectacular.

During our meal, the restaurant filled up. Mainly with either couples celebrating some anniversary or a group meeting for a nice dinner out.

I would not take younger kids to this location. And I would in fact be hesitant to even bring my inlaws here if and when they visit. There was not enough ambiance (nor wine list) to warrant an upscale dinner out. I must say I was disappointed. I think that the menu itself could stand alone, but not with the dining experience.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank camer-always-aready
Venice, Florida
“Disappointed!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

After reading all of the complimentary reviews and driving by this place many times in the past ten years we decided to try it. The parking lot is always full. We both felt like we may have been in the wrong place as the "Mouth Watering Mattisons" was not our experience. Nice decor but out out place in Florida. Sort of "Midwestern Kitsch". Clean, nice people, active bar. Most were watching the ALCS and it seemed all were rooting for Detroit.... The service was a little slow although the place was half empty. Our first wine choice was not available but the list was extensive and reasonably priced. We shared a Rangoon Shrimp appetizer (just OK). Angela had the pasta special with shrimp and I had the pork shank. Also just OK. Heavy food! The people from Iowa and Nebraska will love it. I thought I was in Omaha. ...Disappointed!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank gardner34285
Canada
“Nice Surprise!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

First time visiting this well known institution of Sarasota. At first looked a bit too formal but upon entering we found very friendly and professional, attentive servers who made us feel very comfortable. Our guy was so patient and kind with one of our friend's mother and her requests, he really made the difference.
Now about the food, wow, fantastic and very well priced for the quality of restaurant it is. I had the veggie pizza and French onion soup, both absolutely delicious and served hot and fresh. We will definitely go back and we are thrilled we are right in their neighborhood. Tasteful entertainment in the bar area 7 nights a week and super "happy hour" offerings, what more could a hungry traveller ask for? Also great value in their fixed price meal for only $29.00.
Next time we hope to enjoy their cozy, private lush patio area.
Thank you Mattisons, we'll see you again soon!!

• Visited October 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Mouth-watering Mattisons!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I visited this restaurant with my 2 friends off the cuff. We were quickly greeted and seated by polite staff. We perused the menu for lunch, but unfortunately we were too late but the waiter, corrected the menu error promptly ( much to our dismay as the prices were cheaper for lunch!!). However to compensate he did suggest the $29 special in which you could sellect three courses, so 2 of us opted for this. I chose the crabcake,pot roast recontsructed and the raspberry white choc moose torte.Well all I can say is "bravo" as the food was awesome. The presentation was to gourmet standards and the pot roast just melted in my mouth and I ate it all with just the fork!! Iwas too full to eat dessert, so they kindly placed it in to-go containers for me and my friend. I ate the dessert later and I can truly say that it was the best I had tasted and I scraped the container shamelessly using my fingers to get every last morsel. My friend gave the same rave review of the dessert and she does not have a sweet-tooth like mine.The restaurant was very clean, swift, efficient service. Good wine sellection available and cocktails are served also.It's a bit pricey for those on a budget, so I suggest having lunch instead as it is less costly or go for the special like I did. I will definately be revisiting this restaurant!!!

• Visited September 2013