“Myakka River birds and gators”

Almost Heaven Kayak Adventures
Ranked #4 of 88 Tours in Sarasota
More attraction details
Owner description: Kayaking eco tours and rentals
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Dozens of species of birds including black-necked stilt, limpkin, glossy ibis, roseate spoonbill (and many expected ones) plus large gators slinking under us from the near shore. Very attentive guide Kelly pointed out many interesting things and made sure the trip was safe. Strenuous paddling for 31/2 hours in shallow water, upstream against the wind, made for a good upper body workout. In these conditions, not for the "out-of-shape". The 1 hour trip back was easy going. If you're adding to your birding life-list, want to see big gators up close and personal, and like to do physical things, you will be happy to have gone on this adventure. If you want coddling and tire easily, stay home on the couch.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Brilliant morning spent kayaking.No experience needed. We had such fun. Guide was very informative fun and friendly. Would recommend to anyone. I have never kayaked before, thoroughly enjoyed it and had such a laugh.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have done whitewater rafting from West Virginia to North Carolina and canoeing/ kayaking in Ohio, Tennesee and Georgia, and for my money I have found no overall experience better than a tour with Kelly and the folks at Almost Heaven Kayaking.
It does not matter if you are experienced on the water or a 70 year old first timer, you WILL have a blast.
Whether it is the stark beauty of the mongrove tunnels, the funny cormorant birds driving near your boat for fish, the manatees or dolphins swimming nearby;........... the combination of wildlife seen above and below the water, gorgeous scenery and easy pace will have you wanting the tour to go on for hours. Toss in Kelly's unique blend of professionalism, laid back humor and expertise and you have a remarkable time for an individual, family or group. One that you will share with friends days and weeks later. Can you tell I had a a fantastic time?
PS- My wife loved it too.
Tom A., Ohio

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband & I really enjoyed our kayak adventure with Shane yesterday. He was very knowledgable & patient! We were able to see dolphins jumping & playing, a family of manatees, starfish, and a wide variety of other birds & wildlife. The mangrove tunnels were amazing! This was also our first kayaking experience together as a couple. Shane made it all seem easy! We will be back again soon.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Kelly is such an awesome guide. His knowledge of the area and wildlife was incredible. Our encounter with a baby manatee was beyond anything that can be put into words for me. This is my second time with Almost Heaven and I highly recommend them and especially Kelly.