“First Time...!”

Almost Heaven Kayak Adventures
Ranked #4 of 82 Tours in Sarasota
More attraction details
Owner description: Kayaking eco tours and rentals
Useful Information: Activities for older children
DeLand, Florida
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“First Time...!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was our first time in a Kayak and I will admit to being a little apprehensive Don't worry this is a fun trip for every one. Shane our guide for the Mangrove tour was excellent his knowledge and obvious love for nature was evident we were show all kinds of sea life as well as shore birds. This was the Lido Key Tour, and only my wife and I were on the trip. Thanks Again To Shane For A Wonderful Experience.

Charleston, wv
“West Virginians found almost heaven in Florida too”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My son, daughter in law and myself went kayaking with the alligators at the Myakka River and had such an adventure. My son spent days talking us into going and Kelly our guide made it an enjoyable trip. He shared his knowledge of the park and animals. I would recommend it for anyone.

Faith Dangerfield
Charleston, West Virginia

Bradenton, Florida, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Our Kayak Trip on Lido”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Took the Lido kayak tour on Monday and it was fabulous. Our tour guide was Kelly, who is very knowledgeable, comical, and has an overall great personality. Our trip was supposed to be two hours, but we were out much longer. We met McFriendly the baby manatee who swam back and forth between all the kayaks, nudging each one and surfacing repeatedly. She esp. loves Kelly, understandably. The mangrove tunnels were fascinating and beautiful. We had a wonderful time, so will be going again asap. Thanks Kelly and Almost Heaven.

Gadsden, Alabama, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Paddling with the dolphins”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Just took two kayak adventures on Lido Key. Our guide was Kelly. A fine young man and an excellent guide. He is a good conversationalist; knowledgeable and extremely helpful and patient. The trip would not have been as good, I don't believe with another guide. A special thanks to him for making the trip special. Hope to see you next year. David E. Coffey

Visited September 2012
2 Thank David C
Sarasota, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Leisurely kayaking on beautiful Lido Key!”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Just returned from a lovely guided kayak tour of the Lido mangroves. Our guide, Kelly was charming, funny, and knowledgeable! I had a blast and will definitely be going again for either this, or another kayak tour.

The tour ran just a little long because we paddled a little closer to the channel in order to watch dolphins feeding on a school of fish and jumping right out of the water! The cormorants followed us from beginning to end and one even sat on the end of a kayak! The amazing Kelly showed our small group not only cormorants and dolphins, but also a male conch (during mating season, they are bright orange and huge), a lightning whelk, jumping mullet fish, sea urchin, mango tree crabs, ospreys, American brown pelicans and lots of other birds! I learned a LOT about the wildlife and the area's history. Kelly also emphasized the delicate balance of the biodiversity in the area which made me even more appreciative of having a guide who cared about local ecological preservation.

I wanted to mention that one client in our group had some physical limitations (joints), but this was no problem for her or Kelly. Our guide was very helpful and accommodating and gladly towed her kayak during times she was unable to continue paddling. Contact Almost Heaven if this is a concern for you. From what I can tell, this is a nice, leisurely paddle for anyone in reasonably good health, but if for some reason you do need assistance, help is there if needed. With Kelly's help, it didn't stop this client from enjoying an amazing morning on the water today! Don't pass it up!

The paddling was easy and leisurely, but come prepared with a hat, sunglasses, water, and sunscreen. The mangrove tunnels were only a small part of the tour (but amazing, nonetheless). Most of the time is spent in the bay under the hot sun, but it's worth every second. Seems like the morning is the best time to go, but with so much wildlife, I'd never advise against any available tour!

This is a great activity for a group of friends, families (probably not babies and toddlers, but call and see what their experience is), teens, couples, and just going it alone. Myakka is next on my list and I'll definitely ask for Kelly!

Visited September 2012