“Food has always been awesome.”
Review of Drunken Poet Cafe

Drunken Poet Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Drunken Poet Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #289 of 1,046 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Orange Street
“Food has always been awesome.”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

I love Asian cuisine and Thai is my favorite. I was introduced to this place by an old friend as soon as I moved to Sarasota. By far the best I tried in SWFL. The owner is very attentive and the food has never disappointed. Great flavors and good variety. Servers should communicate better. Other than that it is great food, great location and great value. Ohhhh and if you drink Sake, they have pretty much every kind there is. :-)

• Visited February 2013

Lakewood Ranch, Florida
“Grouper was very fishy”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had heard this was a good place, so decided to try it. First of all, the decor is very old, dirty and needs an update. The prices here are very expensive, and the surroundings are not up to standard. The bathrooms were disgusting. When our meals came, we thought we were in for a real treat - the presentation was creative and beautiful. Turns out that was the best part of the meal. Our grouper was either not fresh or had been left unrefrigerated for too long. It was very fishy tasting, and poorly cooked. There are so many restaurants in this area that are good, that we will not return here.

• Visited May 2013
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
“Drunken Poet Cafe...fun and yummy!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

FINALLY, on my 4th trip to visit my daughter in Sarasota, I managed a visit to her favorite restaurant, Drunken Poet Cafe! It was everything I had been told, great atmosphere, GREAT food and really reasonable prices. I am definitely going back next time I am in town and I highly recommend this restaurant!

Visited April 2013
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
“average place in area of many alternatives”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This restaurant is trying to be all things to all people with their Thai and Japanese menu. I always felt is was better to do one thing well, then many things mediocre. The décor in this restaurant is getting a little worn and out of date. The service was good, but the prices were high for this type of food. I ordered a scallop and grouper combo and did not realize they were going to be fried. Also, the grouper had a fishy taste, which usually means the fish was in the refrigerator too long or they did not trim it very well. I for one am not going back.

• Visited April 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best sushi and Thai!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

I have been going to this restaurant for years! The owner and staff are friendly and knowledgable. The owner is known to give a free desert every now and then and let's her customers know she loves them! She is straight from Thailand by the way. I love the sexy man roll :) in the sushi section and the pad Thai and yellow curry. Delicious food always! Never a bad experience! The complaints on here are ridiculous like the one about service. I bet you left out the part that there was a full house on a Friday or Saturday night? Your server is a human being and I bet you couldn't do half of what they do! But besides all that, visit this restaurant - it is definitely worth your time!

• Visited April 2013