“Great Food, Good Service”
Review of Cafe Americano - CLOSED

Cafe Americano
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Lakemary, FL
“Great Food, Good Service”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I visited Cafe Americano, in downtown Sarasota, for breakfast on two occasions. Both times, we were quite please with both the food and service. Admittedly, the servers made (minor) mistakes on our orders on both occasions. Nevertheless, we enjoyed both the food and service. The breakfasts were really quite good. When we noted the mistakes in our orders, the servers were quick to correct them without any attitude.

Overall, we found Cafe Americano to be a relaxing place to enjoy a mellow, relaxed couple's breakfast.

• Visited June 2013

Venice, Florida
“Very, very bad food”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We went to the Cafe Americano last night. This was supposed to be my husband's birthday dinner. The food was absolutely awful -- one of the worst meals we've ever had. My husband had veal saltimobocca, which was unrecognizable when it arrived -- a heap of poor quality prosciutto on top of two tiny pieces of tough veal on top of mashed potatoes!! (Mashed potatoes??) I ordered fettucine with sausage and wild mushrooms with ricotta cheese. The fettucine arrived with ground sausage on top, no sauce, no cheese, and tons and tons of mushrooms, One of the ingredients had a very bad taste -- not sure if it was the mushrooms or the sausage. My husband actually ate his food because he was so hungry; I had a few bites of mine. We both woke up with horrible indigestion in the middle of the night. STAY AWAY from this place!!

1 Thank Mamanaj
Sarasota, Florida
“Always a pleasure”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My favorite restaurant downtown. Great staff, very helpful and kind. If you like to eat meat i can highly recommend the ribeye or the veal. If you prefer pasta you have to try the linguini with bottarga or spaghetti carbonara.

Sacramento, California
“Poor service & terrible food”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Exceptionally poor service and underwhelming food highlighted our Sunday lunch at Café Americano. My mother, wife, and I thought we would give this place a try after church today. The guy that brought out some bread kind of tossed it onto the table instead of placing it. We commenced ordering our entrees.

I ordered whole wheat pasta with olive oil, red pepper, and a small green vegetable in it. My mother ordered lasagna and salad and my wife had a Panini with shoestring fries and some minestrone soup.

The problems began soon after we placed these orders. Our waitress was Ariadina. She started out fine and was giving good service until we hit the entrees. My mother’s lasagna was grotesquely cheesy and greasy, so we sent it back. My mother said it was the worst lasagna she’s ever had. They took the dish away and then the waitress came out to ask us why it was not desirable, telling us that her manager had never had anyone say this before about the lasagna. This was the first instance of the “manager” never making an appearance even though the situation called for it. I actually tried to talk to the waitress, but she turned her back and walked away with a Cheshire-ish grin on her face. My wife noticed the disrespectfulness as well and did not appreciate it whatsoever.

The plate I was brought was not even the same dish I had ordered. When I informed them of this, they took it away and brought me the correct dish. Unfortunately, the correct dish wound up being extremely spicy with tough spaghetti (those “red peppers” were crushed red chili peppers, not red bell peppers like I thought they were). When I informed her of my dissatisfaction with the dish, she just took the dish away without saying anything or trying to recover the situation. Once again, NO MANAGER came out to speak with us even though we knew the “manager” was there. Also, my wife aptly described the food as "hospital food". I've seen better minestrone soup out of a can than what they served my wife.

I work at a local 4-Diamond beach resort and am a guest service supervisor for them, so I know good and bad service when I see it. This was terrible service and terrible food. Take our advice and find another restaurant; there are so many other good ones in Sarasota that actually care about their food quality and clientele!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Loved this place!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Was on a yacht in Marina Jack for a few months and went to this Cafe often. Great coffee, excellent food and really good service.

Visited May 2013