“Customer Service”

Holiday Inn Sarasota - Airport
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 5, 2013

For work I have been traveling someplace every week since Feb. The weeks I have spent in Sarastoa have been amazing. Scott (customer service at check-in) has greeted me like I am coming him. Truly happy to see us. He has been courteous, professional and ensuring our needs were met. Marvin was also amazing when needed more blankets or anything else brought up to room, he gave excellent attention.
The food is good but the dining staff of Sandy, Wayne and Jay make this outstanding.
The only downside is that since there is a restaurant, there isn't anything like an apply,banana or some sort of snack to grab on your way out the door in the morning for a snack during the busy work day.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up, down the hallway or on same side as restaurant are quieter then opposing side.
Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
hisrqgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you so very much for your comments about Holiday Inn Sarasota Airport. We strive very hard to exceed every guest’s expectation and our team is proud that we have succeeded and you enjoyed your stay with us. I have forwarded your comments to Marvin, Jay, Sandy and Wayne as well. We look forward to serving you in the near future.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I wouldn't recommend this hotel for business travelers. The guests were loud - yelling to each other and laughing and carrying on at all hours of the night with no respect for other guests. The way the hotel is set up with an atrium, loud guests in the hallways are heard throughout the hotel. I travel to Sarasota for work quite often and this was the first time staying here. I will not stay here again. I didn't sleep well the entire visit.

• Stayed: July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Dear Heathbo77,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. I understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights while visiting Sarasota. The hotel is well furnished with modern decor. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others as well. However, during our stay the hotel was full of some sort of teenage sports teams, and we were positioned right in the middle of them, literally, they were on every side of our room. They kept opening their doors, slamming their doors, yelling in the hallway, and congregating right outside our door, cursing and carrying on. I was initially pretty annoyed because when booking the room my only request was "a quiet room." How "in the middle of a hallway filled with teenage boys" translates to "quiet" I have no idea. We put up with it for one night, and then the next morning we asked to be moved, which they quickly and happily did, I only wished I'd asked sooner. The only other issue was that I'm pretty sure there was a whole family pool crashing. When we went down to the pool, the door that opens with a hotel key was instead propped open with a towel, this was the same set-up for the door that leads to the outside parking lot right off the hallway of the pool. This family kept going out into the parking lot and then back in, never a hotel key in sight. Overall, the quality of the hotel rooms is great and comfortable, I just think the staff/management should monitor these few things to give their guests a better experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so very much for your comments about Holiday Inn Sarasota Airport. We strive very hard to exceed every guest’s expectation and our team is proud of their services. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that other guests in the hotel caused by making too much noise during the night hours and would like to invite you back with us with a promise that we will have your room in a very quiet area. Please make your reservations directly through my office and I will personally arrange for this. I look forward to serving you in the near future.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Having heard good things about this place I thought i'd just poke my head in. Wow! This isn't the Holiday Inn I stayed at when I was 12! Beautiful and clean and I was greeted by the biggest smile I've seen in months.I didn't catch the girls name at the front desk, but thank you. The food was what I heard about the most so I went for the sports bar and grill. NO LIE! that was GOOD. Ribeye flatbread app and burger. Whoa baby. Great Service too. Special Thanks to Dylan Bower for the tour and hospitality. I will be back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Thank you so very much for your comments about Holiday Inn Sarasota Airport and our front office staff Jennifer. We strive very hard to exceed every guest’s expectation and our team is proud that we have succeeded and you enjoyed your stay with us. I have forwarded your comments to Dyan, our guest services manager and our Chef. We look forward to serving you in the near future at your next trip to Sarasota.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here on the extremely busy July Fourth weekend in the Sarasota area, not realizing that it was the annual power boat show, parade and races. Most of the beach front hotels were sold out and the ones that were not were too expensive for our needs.
It's located across from the tower side of Sarasota airport and you definitely will need a car to get to the beach areas and other sites of interest. It's only a few miles, but since you are not at the beach you should get an early start, by about 9 or 10 am to find a parking spot at Lido Beach or Anna Maria Island, etc.
This hotel has a strikingly lovely decor which you do not expect from looking at the outside.
The soaring six story atrium with large skylight and the glass elevator that stops behind a waterfall on the lobby level all contribute. There is a comfortable bar and restaurant area hidden from view of the atrium center and a small but nice Seattle's Best coffee bar just inside the far end of the atrium.
The rooms were nicer than expected, especially for the very reasonable pricing.
One minor drawback is that, probably due to the open atrium, sound can carry to the upper floors from activity in the atrium lobby level. I'd recommend more sound proof room doors in the future. You could also request a room on one of the two narrow ends of each floor that are not directly on the atrium hall.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so very much for your comments about Holiday Inn Sarasota Airport.We strive very hard to exceed every guest’s expectation and our team is proud that we have succeeded and you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to serving you in the near future at your next trip to Sarasota.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is my second stay at this hotel, the first time was a deal through hotwire and I didn't know the hotel name before making the reservation but this time I looked for this hotel expressly. Not only the hotel is modern and eclectic, the service is outstanding, the all the staff was really kind and helpful, food at the grill was great and not pricey. I got the deal with the breakfast for two included. The coin laundry is free and we found the time to take a sauna too. We will definitely come back to this hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so very much for your comments about Holiday Inn Sarasota Airport. We strive very hard to exceed every guest’s expectation and our team is proud that we have succeeded and you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to serving you in the near future at your next trip to Sarasota.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I'm not getting that close to find out but if the saying applies to hotels; this one is in trouble.

You may have seen my raves about this place and the people and the restaurant. Well, I gave them another chance after being ferociously disappointed with the Back Office Staff/Management.

Cause of Disappointments:
1. My travel schedule changed and I wasn't able to be there for an overnight package and UPS couldn't cancel it. I called twice and spoke with the GM's assistant and with Rosa and advised that it was very important for them to refuse delivery. They didn't pass the information to the Front Desk so the package was accepted (even though my reservation had also been cancelled). It took a week for UPS to untangle what had happened but on the three occasions they tried to retrieve the package, no one could find it. During subsequent calls to the hotel, I was repeatedly told I had to give them a credit card number so they could remail the item. I declined. Two months later when I arrived, one of my favorite desk clerks excavated the (thankfully unopened) package hiding in a cupboard.

2. To thank this young man and several other individuals, I arranged for ten pounds of Cheryls cookies to be delivered. They were specifically addressed to him by name at the Front Desk and the card had a list of the other staff to share with. On my visit during the subsequent month, I asked how he'd liked them. He never received them. Turns out the Guest Services Manager had intercepted the package ($98 worth), given out three of the cookies and taken the other 45 home with him after explaining that a guest had sent them to him.

The situation was made worse by being advised that the GM would call me to discuss the issue and the Guest Services Manager was due to arrive for work in 30 minutes and would apologize to me. I waited for two hours. The GSM had been jumped by a rogue strain of the flu hiding in his car's dashboard and returned home and the GM had misplaced the index finger so crucial to his ability to dial telephone numbers.

So another month lapsed before my travels returned me to Sarasota. And I stopped on my way to the SRQ Hampton.
This time Rosa was in no mood to discuss the issue and belligerently asked what it would take to stop me from bringing up what had happened. I responded that I wasn't in the business of extortion and she had been in the hospitality industry long enough to know that the gesture is everything in customer service.
At that point I was pretty sure I knew what gesture they were considering so I replied that I'd tried to resolve the situation but it was clear they did not take employee thefts seriously. So I left.

I'm not certain Trip Advisor will publish this but it is an excellent indicator that if there are problems, the Management is either unable or unwilling to deal with them effectively.

So if you're planning an event here, I would make certain you have legal counsel loitering off stage.

If you're just staying the night, you are probably fine. I still have faith in the housekeeping department, the food service and maintenance crews and the Front Desk people.

It's just a shame that Management felt they didn't deserve extra special recognition sent from a grateful guest.

Thus endeth the sermon for the day.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BluntedHedgehog
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear BluntedHedgehog,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C