“If you don't require beach front, this is a well priced option...”

Holiday Inn Sarasota - Airport
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here on the extremely busy July Fourth weekend in the Sarasota area, not realizing that it was the annual power boat show, parade and races. Most of the beach front hotels were sold out and the ones that were not were too expensive for our needs.
It's located across from the tower side of Sarasota airport and you definitely will need a car to get to the beach areas and other sites of interest. It's only a few miles, but since you are not at the beach you should get an early start, by about 9 or 10 am to find a parking spot at Lido Beach or Anna Maria Island, etc.
This hotel has a strikingly lovely decor which you do not expect from looking at the outside.
The soaring six story atrium with large skylight and the glass elevator that stops behind a waterfall on the lobby level all contribute. There is a comfortable bar and restaurant area hidden from view of the atrium center and a small but nice Seattle's Best coffee bar just inside the far end of the atrium.
The rooms were nicer than expected, especially for the very reasonable pricing.
One minor drawback is that, probably due to the open atrium, sound can carry to the upper floors from activity in the atrium lobby level. I'd recommend more sound proof room doors in the future. You could also request a room on one of the two narrow ends of each floor that are not directly on the atrium hall.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
hisrqgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you so very much for your comments about Holiday Inn Sarasota Airport.We strive very hard to exceed every guest’s expectation and our team is proud that we have succeeded and you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to serving you in the near future at your next trip to Sarasota.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is my second stay at this hotel, the first time was a deal through hotwire and I didn't know the hotel name before making the reservation but this time I looked for this hotel expressly. Not only the hotel is modern and eclectic, the service is outstanding, the all the staff was really kind and helpful, food at the grill was great and not pricey. I got the deal with the breakfast for two included. The coin laundry is free and we found the time to take a sauna too. We will definitely come back to this hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so very much for your comments about Holiday Inn Sarasota Airport. We strive very hard to exceed every guest’s expectation and our team is proud that we have succeeded and you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to serving you in the near future at your next trip to Sarasota.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I'm not getting that close to find out but if the saying applies to hotels; this one is in trouble.

You may have seen my raves about this place and the people and the restaurant. Well, I gave them another chance after being ferociously disappointed with the Back Office Staff/Management.

Cause of Disappointments:
1. My travel schedule changed and I wasn't able to be there for an overnight package and UPS couldn't cancel it. I called twice and spoke with the GM's assistant and with Rosa and advised that it was very important for them to refuse delivery. They didn't pass the information to the Front Desk so the package was accepted (even though my reservation had also been cancelled). It took a week for UPS to untangle what had happened but on the three occasions they tried to retrieve the package, no one could find it. During subsequent calls to the hotel, I was repeatedly told I had to give them a credit card number so they could remail the item. I declined. Two months later when I arrived, one of my favorite desk clerks excavated the (thankfully unopened) package hiding in a cupboard.

2. To thank this young man and several other individuals, I arranged for ten pounds of Cheryls cookies to be delivered. They were specifically addressed to him by name at the Front Desk and the card had a list of the other staff to share with. On my visit during the subsequent month, I asked how he'd liked them. He never received them. Turns out the Guest Services Manager had intercepted the package ($98 worth), given out three of the cookies and taken the other 45 home with him after explaining that a guest had sent them to him.

The situation was made worse by being advised that the GM would call me to discuss the issue and the Guest Services Manager was due to arrive for work in 30 minutes and would apologize to me. I waited for two hours. The GSM had been jumped by a rogue strain of the flu hiding in his car's dashboard and returned home and the GM had misplaced the index finger so crucial to his ability to dial telephone numbers.

So another month lapsed before my travels returned me to Sarasota. And I stopped on my way to the SRQ Hampton.
This time Rosa was in no mood to discuss the issue and belligerently asked what it would take to stop me from bringing up what had happened. I responded that I wasn't in the business of extortion and she had been in the hospitality industry long enough to know that the gesture is everything in customer service.
At that point I was pretty sure I knew what gesture they were considering so I replied that I'd tried to resolve the situation but it was clear they did not take employee thefts seriously. So I left.

I'm not certain Trip Advisor will publish this but it is an excellent indicator that if there are problems, the Management is either unable or unwilling to deal with them effectively.

So if you're planning an event here, I would make certain you have legal counsel loitering off stage.

If you're just staying the night, you are probably fine. I still have faith in the housekeeping department, the food service and maintenance crews and the Front Desk people.

It's just a shame that Management felt they didn't deserve extra special recognition sent from a grateful guest.

Thus endeth the sermon for the day.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BluntedHedgehog
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear BluntedHedgehog,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for the 4th of July. This hotel was very clean, staff was courteous, free wi-fi in the privacy of your own room. Nice sports bar and grill but of course it was very expensive. Didn't take advantage of free breakfast because we wanted to visit restaurants. The only thing is its about 9 miles from Siesta Key beach and a lot of the other attractions and popular restaurants, so we did a lot of driving. Long story short, I would stay again. It was a very comfortable and clean place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We managed to book this hotel through hotwire so got a very reasonable deal compared to booking the hotel direct. The hotel itself is located away from all the attractions and there is nothing within walking distance so a car is essential. Do not let this put you off, the hotel is lovely, rooms are very comfortable and nicely decorated with a very nice size bathroom. The hotel facilities are also very good. Overall, I would stay at the hotel again without a doubt.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndrewAndCeri

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I was very Amaze of this hotel and how beautiful and clean it was...I will recomend anybody to stay here...for such a cheap price I was expecting less than what I got,,I was very happy & my family& friends love it....

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 7, 2013

So, my hotel on Hotwire turns out to be the Holiday Inn Airport...ho hum. But wait, from the decor to the staff it was surprisingly terrific! Even the location was a winner as it was close to our function and amenities but secluded. Airport you say? Well it is located in an industrial park with little traffic and quiet for it's proximity to the airport.

The furnishings in the public areas are updated modern; if you didn't know you were in a Holiday Inn (not to cut down Holiday Inns) you would think you were in a more upscale hotel. The room was comfortable, quiet, and well appointed. The complimentary breakfast was very average.

Jennifer, the front desk clerk, was very accommodating, friendly, and anticipated our needs.

We fly out of SRQ when we travel to Europe because it's easier to maneuver through customs and security than our hometown airport of Tampa. So this will be our "night before" hotel of choice when heading out of SRQ.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
hisrqgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you so very much for your comments about Holiday Inn Sarasota Airport and our front office staff Jennifer. We strive very hard to exceed every guest’s expectation and our team is proud that we have succeeded and you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to serving you in the near future at your next trip to Sarasota.