“Impressed!”

Holiday Inn Sarasota - Airport
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I must say that I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn in 30 years or more since the last one was run down and worn out. However, this HI was anything but worn out. The check-in was open and bright. The check-in process could have been faster but that was due to a alot of questions from a guest. The atrium was open and had lots of seating for socializing and meetings. There was a coffee bar and drink bar as well as a restaurant. The hotel also has an indoor pool, spa, jacuzzi and sauna.

The room was absolutely amazing (room 517). I think I am so impressed due to the fact it was not at all what I expected. I sent my husband pictures and he thought it was a Hilton, not a Hilton Garden Inn, but a Hilton. I noticed some reviewers said that room was heavily scented, but I did not experience that in my room or corridor. The room had a desk, chair and ottoman, 37 inch LG flat screen and a very comfortable King size bed. I also love the little touch of having the flexible reading lights on each side of the bed. An extra added touch was the firm or soft pillows that were wrapped with a cloth tie and sign identifying each. The room had dark mahogony colored furniture. The bed had a thick and comfortable mattress and bed. For those with kids, the room has a refridgerator for snacks and leftovers, however there was not microwave in the room. You could put a pack and play in the room, but it would be a bit crowded, maybe the rooms with 2 doubles are bigger. The hotel provides you with free Wi-fi in the room. There were a few dings- I found a long hair on my bed, the remote for the television didn't work properly and I can not stand to have the drinking glasses in the bathroom. When you flush the toilet, puffs of nastiness enter the air and get on bathroom items, including the glasses- YUCK!

The bathroom was of a nice size, my room had a shower that two people could fit in. It had 2 seats. The sink was a granite counter with an above counter sink. I really like the open table style of storage in the bathroom. The bathroom also had Bath and Body Works products for skin and hair care. They also provide you with a blowdryer.

I did hear a few planes in the morning but did not hear them at night. It was not so loud as to be disturbing. My a/c worked well in the room. The hotel is convenient to St. Armands Circle, Barnum and Bailey Museum and the harbor.

Definitely eat at the Columbia restaurant in the Circle.

One of my room keys said Stay Impressed and I definitely am. Watch out Hilton!

Room Tip: Room 517 was a very nice room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stay at this hotel everytime I come to Sarasota. The hotel is modern and clean, and the staff friendly. However the one negative is the restaurant, the food isn't good and it's pricey.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Friendly staff, updated decor, very busy. No airport noise at all. New pillows are small and they don't give you extras. The air conditioners turn on and off throughout the night- woke me up a few times- can't have the fan on all the time. Otherwise fine. Complimentary coffee in the morning. They have a sports bar and restaurant in the lobby. No other options close by to the hotel unless you have a car.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

Dear Floridatraveller75,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed March 26, 2012

We chose this Holiday Inn because it was located right next to New College. The convenience of where it was located at was great. The staff were nice. The rooms were clean and nice. The beds though were as hard as a rock and all of us complained the next morning about our backs and shoulders(side sleepers) in pain all night. I would stay here again if they changed out the beds. The breakfast attendant was great and only charged me $2.50 for the omelette I ate instead of the full price for the buffett.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Need a hotel close to the airport? Can't beat this upgraded holiday inn. Rooms are fantastic. Hotel only has indoor pool, but was great for the price. My king room had a whirlpool that played music! Kind of cheesy but it was relaxing after a full work day.

• Stayed: March 2012
hisrqgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sarasota - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2012

Thank you so very much for your comments about our hotel, The Holiday Inn Sarasota Airport. We strive very hard to exceed every guest’s expectation and our team is proud that we have succeeded. Glad you enjoyed your jacuzzi and the music. Looking forward to serving you in a very near future.
Best Regards

Reviewed March 12, 2012

Did I mention this was a great hotel? Unfortunately we only spent one night here but was still able to enjoy the delightful indoor pool with outdoor area and the wonderful firepit lounging area. I read an article in the business centre that the owner wanted to build/design the most "unholiday inn" Holidy Inn and I would say he did this with flying colours. We did not have a chance to eat in the hotel restaurant but read in other reviews that it is also unlike most hotel restaurants.
Hotel is very close to Sarasota airport but we were not flying out so did not avail ourselves of shuttle service.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HappyCanadian13

Thank you so very much for your comments about our hotel, The Holiday Inn Sarasota Airport. We strive very hard to exceed every guest’s expectation and our team is proud that we have succeeded. At your next visit we would love you to enjoy the Sporting News Grill, Cheff Mizell does a fantastic job with his food. Looking forward to serving you in a very near future.
Best Regards

Reviewed March 4, 2012

IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO ODORS OF ANY TYPE....STAY AWAY. This hotel went all out on plush, modern lobby and upbeat room decor. Very cosmopolitan feel when entering. However, rooms are highly fragranced. Checked in after 5 pm, walked into room and smelled like Febreeze was used on everything--carpets, bed, all surfaces. Windows did not open--not even a crack--so unable to let in some fresh air. Girl at front desk's response: " Yeah, if you are sensitive to any type of smells, this is definitely not the hotel to stay at". Spoke with manager to get credit card charge reversed and she said the scents were just part of the cleaning process. With a non-smoking hotel that is 3 years old, you have to wonder what they are trying to cover up.
Even after getting into my car, the scent was in my hair and on my lips--no exaggeration.
Get with the times Holiday Inn: With all your attempts at re-branding to a higher standard atleast set aside a few rooms (like other hotels do) that refrain from using fragrances.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, First and foremost I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectation and our facility and services fell short of your expectations.We take all our guest comments to heart and use them to educate and train our team to be sensitive to guests needs and consistently provide outstanding and impeccable service. I have shared your views with our housekeeping team and will strive to exceed your expectations at your next visit to Sarasota and The Holiday Inn Sarasota Airport.
Looking forward to serving you.