“We had a great time at SJG” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sarasota Jungle Gardens

Sarasota Jungle Gardens
Ranked #18 of 138 things to do in Sarasota
More attraction details
Owner description: An Old Florida attraction since 1939, Sarasota Jungle Gardens allows visitors to experience things you won't find anywhere else. Feed free-roaming flamingos, watch parrots ride bicycles, catch lemurs at play, stare down a vulture, or pet a skunk. Be sure to visit the Flamingo Cafe for a refreshing lunch or snack. Enjoy one or more of our acclaimed animal shows. Annual events include Holiday Lights, select nights in December, and Jungle Trails and Bunny Tails, every year on Good Friday.
Tampa, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“We had a great time at SJG”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

Our family had a great time visiting Sarasota Jungle Gardens. Our kids are 7 and 13, and both were entertained by the shows and the interaction with animals, particularly the flamingos. I've been to a lot of attractions in Florida in my life, but this is the only one that has ever let me walk in and amongst a largish flock of flamingos. They eat right out your hands and one of them (No. 38) walked all over the park with our boys. The trails are lushly vegetated with some really tropical style plants and even the water features are "old Florida", hence the sulfur smell. The parrots are awesome, and the backstory on some of their oldest parrots is amazing, but I won't spoil it for you.

In my opinion, people leaving negative reviews about SJG are comparing it to some other type of park, one that is $100 for a single ticket. We got into SJG for $54 bucks for the entire family, and really enjoyed the shows and animal exhibits. Yes, the reptile house is hot. They're cold blooded, so I'm not sure what people expect. Yes, the attraction has some age on it, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the people that work there are very friendly and the animals are up close and personal. This isn't the National Zoo in DC. This is an Old Florida attraction, the kind that were around before the interstates were built.

I highly recommend it to families, but even adults will think the parrots and flamingos are worth the price of admission.

3 Thank YellowJacket26

Tampa, Florida
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“We had fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is a small, older attraction in Sarasota. Its a nice place to spend a few hours. The grounds are beautiful and there are plenty of animals. The big attraction here is getting to feed the flamingos. These birds can be a bit snooty, so don't be disappointed if they ignore you. There were people there with wild kids that were making the flamingos skittish as well. I wasn't expecting the "Gardens of Christ" either. Overall, it was fun. Don't expect to eat here unless you want simple counter fare.

1 Thank KrazyKoko
Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Ideal Beach Break with Toddler”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Mom, Husband, 2.5 year old and myself. Had a "non beach day" adventure to Sarasota Jungle Gardens. We went on a Thursday - mid April - not too crowded, not too hot, and easy parking.

It's old Florida charm, very well kept, and the perfect amount of stimulation and ease for both daughter and my mom. The gardens are beautiful and they keep it very well maintained and clean. I relived my youth holding a large Macaw from Brazil and daughter attempted a smaller bird. Mom embraced a Hyacinth Macaw. We fed Flamingo's and daughter pet a goat and tortoise.

Super easy going and very relaxing for all. Staff was incredibly friendly, knowledgable, and welcoming.

Gift shop could be more successful if better merchandised or used as a gallery.

On site food is terrible with poor choices for kids and adults - so bring your own lunch or eat before you come.

2 Thank sfactor503
Sarasota, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It was fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

We spent several fun hours today at the Sarasota Jungle Gardens with a 2 year old who loved it! It is well maintained and the animals are well taken care of. I would recommend it for a great way to kill a few hours with young children.

1 Thank sks1984
Hurley, Wisconsin
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 195 helpful votes
“Very Nice for Younger Children”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

We brought two families to the Sarasota Jungle Gardens and each of us had younger children, 3, 4, and 6 years of age and everyone had a great time. It is rather pricy and it cost over $40 for me and my two small children. It is good enough to keep kids attention for about an hour and a half. The kids had a wonderful time and there were many things to see. We would most certainly do this again if we ever end up in Sarasota. If you have a large family, you will be looking at a $100 bill...