“Your average Science Center” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of G.WIZ - The Science Museum - CLOSED

G.WIZ - The Science Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: GWIZ is a 501(c)(3) science and technology center nestled on the edge of Sarasota Bay in downtown Sarasota. The mission of GWIZ is to be the gateway to lifelong adventures in science. With a focus on STEM Education, we are in the business of igniting imaginations and creating that 'a-ha' moment for people of all ages. GWIZ offers numerous interactive zones focusing on all things science, a critter habitat, and a Fab Lab. Visitors also have several program options such as summer camps, Lifelong Learning, birthday parties, Educational Outreach, and the list goes on! We believe there is great value in embodied learning, learning that sticks with ya' ... come get nerdy with GWIZ!
Watkins Glen, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Your average Science Center”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

I wasn't disappointed in our trip to GWIZ, but I am glad that I didn't put too much into the experience by way of expectations. We basically used it as a time filler and, really, that's all it was. While each Science Center location is a bit different from the next, they are all really quite similar and this one fit that description. The Mindball game was really very neat and the price was definitely affordable. I don't regret taking my kids there - they had a great time, but I am glad there wasn't too much hype put on that part of the day.

Flower Mound, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great place for families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2008

The GWIZ science place and museum was one of the highlights of our family trip to Florida. The wife and I enjoyed the Egyptian Tutankhamun exhibit and the kids had a great time with the interactive exhibits on the second floor. The building is not large but it is feature packed; there is a "brain" game called Mindball which allows you to move a ball using your Alpha / Theta brain waves while seated opposite an opponent; a series of scientific exhibits that measure and explain your metabolics; numerous other experiments that it was hard to pull the kids away from.

The cost of admission is miniscule in comparison to the value for our entire family - read "cheap"! Parking is free and the location is ideally situated to other area attractions such as Ringling that make GWIZ and Sarasota a great destination.

1 Thank mdwatkin
Merritt Island, Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“My Son's Favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2007

We went to Lido Key for Spring Break and this was not on my list of things to do. However, when I mentioned it to my 9 year old son he really wanted to go. They were changing exhibits on the first floor so admission was half price. It was a whopping $12.00 for the three of us. The new exhibit will be about the Ice Age.

The second floor was open and my son was in heaven. It was all-hands on science exhibits. And the best part, all but one, were working. I have been to a few smaller science "museums" and been terribly disappointed because most things did not work. This was very nice. His favorite exhibit was a stop action computer program where you could record your own movie. They had two of these set up and they both worked! The also had an exhibit called "Mind Ball" where you use your mind to move a ball to your opponents side of the table. That was very popular. We spent about 2 hours here and closed the place down. My husband and I were both impressed with how many hands-on things there were to do and how interesting they all were.

It's worth a visit if you're in the area and your kids enjoy this type of place.

2 Thank sshuttle