“Art Museum is FREE on Mondays! Blind/Visually Impaired Traveler.”
Review of The Ringling

The Ringling
Ranked #1 of 143 things to do in Sarasota
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ringling is located in Sarasota, Florida and preserves the legacy of John and Mable Ringling. It is home to the State Art Museum of Florida, the historic Ca' d'Zan Mansion, Bayfront Gardens, an Art Library, the Circus Museums and the Historic Asolo Theater. The grounds and gardens are free to visit, and the Museum of Art offers free admission on Mondays.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We visited on a Monday, when the Art Museum is free. And what an art museum! As a blind/visually impaired visitor, I was very impressed by the open layout of the museum (which helped me stay spacially oriented), and by the huge size of many of the works of art (which helped me make out some of the painting's figures and subjects). Many paintings occupied entire walls. This museum, and the entire grounds, is fully compliant with the provisions of the ADA, and handicapped visitors will feel welcome here. The handicapped bathrooms are spacious and spotless. Anyway, for the rest of the visitors, you will find a TON of free things to do while on the grounds of The Ringling. The grove of Banyan Trees, Mable's Rose Garden, the Bayfront Gardens, and the Secret Garden occupied much of our remaining time. The outdoor central courtyard at the Art Museum was spectacular. We didn't pay for any of the admission venues, so I cannot comment on them. I will comment on the extremely helpful and courteous staff working there. We were stopped several times and asked if they could be of assistance to us, and were offered explanations of what we were seeing and where to go to find other sights on the campus. Very professional staff, and a very stunning and beautiful museum campus. A must-see while in Sarasota!

1  Thank Glenn D

Reviewed May 9, 2014

We've been visiting Sarasota for more than 10 years and never fail to be amazed by the beauty of the art on display. There is now a new wing with more contemporary exhibits that only compliment the classical renaissance masterpieces that dominate the permanent collection. Add the circus exhibits, the rose garden and Ca D' Zan mansion to the day and you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

This was an opportunity to step back in time. I remember the circus coming to town in the 50's and to see the actual wagons and costumes again brought it all back to life. The Ringling home is beautiful and it is worth the extra money to see the second floor and have a guided tour with insights into the life of the family. The museum is amazing and we wish we would have had more time (it was close to closing when we finally got there). So much to see and do! Unfortunately we choose a day when there was a downpour and tornado warnings in the area so we had to battle the elements. The trams that run through the property were a life saver as a relief from the rain and we noticed that many people took advantage of them to move about this vast property.

1  Thank Dee R
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I absolutely loved this place! I am a fan, though of the circus, and I remember when the circus came to town in the 50’s (Richmond California) I was very little and my father took the whole family. He didn’t like the seats we had and changed them for better seats. What a memory!

This place is amazing. The miniature circus is incredible. I did not allow enough time, so plan on 1/2 a day at least, and if the weather is nice, you could spend the whole day here. The gardens are beautiful and the museum has some of the finest art I have seen! I was so impressed with the collection, puts the Dali Museum to shame, but it is entirely a different kind of museum.

I was there in 2012. It is right on the water and that was so beautiful. I loved the house that was their residence.

Well worth the visit!

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Go on a Monday the museum is free, the grounds are always free and worth that alone. The house is very nice and right on the water there is also a circus museum on the grounds. The museum was under construction as of May 2014 so you may not see all of it.
Art is primarily paintings from the 16-19th century.