“In awe of the beauty”
Review of The Ringling

The Ringling
Ranked #1 of 144 things to do in Sarasota
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ringling is located in Sarasota, Florida and preserves the legacy of John and Mable Ringling. It is home to a Museum of Art, the historic Ca' d'Zan Mansion, Bayfront Gardens, an Art Library, the Circus Museums and the Historic Asolo Theater.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We were here during the summertime and decided to go out into the rose garden. It was more beautiful than words can describe. Definitely a must see!!

There are newer reviews for The Ringling

Reviewed August 23, 2013

..yes, for 25 dollars a person I was expecting something more. Art is a huge piece of the museum, with mostly paintings but this IS the collection of John and Mable Ringling, so be prepared to like THEIR taste and do not expect anythign further. The musem is NOT mapped by era or anything, so just roam around and yes, you will see some very nice masterpieces. Not to miss but try and exploit the free Mondays.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I didn't see a place to review the Ringling show in Texas so I thought I would include it here:

I never went to the circus when I was a kid, so when my friend asked me to go to the circus with her I thought I would finally get to see what all the fuss was about. I was wrong. I was dumbfounded by the poor quality of the show, in almost every aspect. The first thing that struck me, when we entered the arena, was how small the circus seemed. Maybe I was expecting the “three rings” we used to hear about. But the venue swallowed up the circus act. It hardly appeared to be “the greatest show on earth.” And I am still trying to figure out what the hell dragons have to do with a circus act.

You know, I understand that the “actors” in the circus do the same act night after night after night. I’m sure it gets old to them. But real professionals don’t let the audience see that. Most of the people in the circus show were like zombies, just going through the motions. I realize that the circus is really geared more toward children, but even kids can see through poor acting like that. There was no precision. No enthusiasm. No pride in what they were doing. If I had actually paid for my ticket, I would have felt ripped off.

The Lion-Tamer was the biggest surprise of all, to me. Those animals were so beaten down that I found myself rooting for the lions and tigers! There was one cat that seemed to have an intense personal hatred for the guy with the whip, and I didn’t blame him one bit. That was the saddest display I’ve ever witnessed and I pledge right now that I will never attend another circus that uses animals. What are we teaching our children anyway, that animals are to be exploited for our own entertainment? They are so intelligent and how very cheap and tawdy they were presented and treated!

What happened to the trapeze acts? This circus had two lines in the air with some sort of motorbike attached – one on each side of the stage area. One of the bikes seemed unable to make it all the way to the top of the line. There was so little light on them, that you couldn’t really see what the hell they were up to up there, anyway! Whatever it was, it wasn’t very exciting or dramatic or even interesting.
There was probably some theme to the circus and I suppose it involved dragons somehow, but I was never clear on that. The sound quality wasn’t good enough that I could actually understand the words being sung. Also, who knew that the circus was a musical? I didn’t. The man who I guess was the “ringmaster” was actually more like the lead singer. He had a decent voice and rode around on different contraptions singing stuff I couldn’t understand. And the circus music? Oh! Has that stuff changed at all in the last 500 years? The only circus I had been to before this was Cirque du Soleil, which has live, original music. I guess I expected something like that from The Greatest Show on Earth. The music was a big FAIL in my opinion.
I don’t know what I expected, but when all your advertising calls you The Greatest Show on Earth I think you have something to live up to. This circus sucked. It was just totally lame. Don’t waste your money.

12  Thank Pamela D
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I were in Florida on business and visited the museum and mansion.It is an amazing gorgeous old house.The grounds are very beautiful. You get to see lots of the old circus items and the train the traveled on.. I am sure they have added much since then. I would go again if I could.

1  Thank Lisa G
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I were told to visit by someone who works with him. We were so glad we took his advice. The whole experience was wonderful. We learned much about the circus and how it started and very much enjoyed the tour of the mansion built by Mabel Ringling and the history behind it. The museum was fabulous and you could easily spend a day on the various free tours they offer. If you are in the area do go and see it. Another piece of advice is that if you are an AAA member and buy the tickets in advance you do save some money.