“I guess I just Don't Get it ...”
Review of Five Guys

Five Guys
Ranked #305 of 1,031 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Sarasota, Florida
“I guess I just Don't Get it ...”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

These places always get rave reviews, here and in other cities. We've only been to this one on Cooper Creek, but the experience is always the same - a surly staff, hastily prepared food, fairly high prices for a burger joint, and just plain poor quality food.
The grill cook stands back there pressing the frying meat patties down with a flat weight (the first no-no in burger cooking), the tomatoes - here in the land of ripe crops all year - are always green, and the fries are greasy and overdone. And for this we pay nearly $20 for two with a couple of drinks and a small fry to share.
Sorry, but we've tried it for the last time. When I want a burger I'll go to Checkers and get a good one.

• Visited February 2013

“Never again!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I went to my local Five Guys for a quick bite around 7:50pm this evening. As I approached the counter to place my order, the young woman in front of me had placed hers but did not have enough money to pay for the entire order so she left the store to get more from her car. As I stood there, I asked if cashier if she could ring up my order on the other register but she refused and told me that if there were more people in line she wouldn't wait for the young woman to pay for the food she had ordered but since I was the only one in line behind her I had to wait. And wait we did. I said at one point that if the woman didn't return quickly I would leave and go elsewhere at which point the cashier just shrugged her shoulders and said, "OK." Finally, the young woman walked casually back to the counter and paid. I placed my order and sat down to wait for the food to be prepared. When I finally got my burger it was not prepared with the correct condiments that were listed on the receipt. Another burger was prepared for me that was correct.
I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO ANOTHER FIVE GUYS AGAIN!!!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank ronpam713
Sarasota, Florida
“Good fast food hot. Homemade fries”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

If you remember/like Boardwalk fries--the ones with all the seasonings, you'll like Five Guys. Great fries, good burgers. VERY limited menu. Food is nice and hot and fast. GREAT place to take the kids. Not a terribly big place. Good for take out too. On the northeast side of town. DIfficult to find. In a great shopping area! BJ's Wholesale is close by. Not too awfully far from Lakewood Ranch. To tell you the truth, I really like this place if I'm going to go off my diet. NOT a place for vegetarians. French fries are about the only thing vegetarians can have here.

“The peanuts were good, that's about it ...overdone and over priced for the quality of food”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Very very dry burgers and I normally eat well done burgers ( this is your only option )
white tomatoes , tasteless bacon Cajun fries are just ok nothing special, not worth the money at all very disappointed

“Better than In-N-Out”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

There, I said it. Moved to Sarasota from California last year and had heard about the raging online war between In-N-Out fans and Five-Guys devotees. I understand that Five Guys now has locations in California, but I never tried it until landing here. Now, don't get me wrong, I love In-N-Out, but Five Guys is just a little better. The burgers are amazing and a small order of fries will feed an entire family. I tried the barbecue sauce on one visit and didn't love it, so I stick with the basics. About 15 free topping choices, by the way. At first glance, Five Guys seems more expensive than In-N-Out, but that's because the default burger order is a double patty. It's a bit annoying that they don't bend over backwards to volunteer that information, so be forewarned on your first visit...if you want a single, you have to order a "LIttle" burger, which should be sufficient for most appetites (especially if you get a BAG of fries). Come to think of it, I'm craving a burger right now....

• Visited October 2012