“Mayonnaise in my California Roll?”
Review of Yume Sushi

Yume Sushi
Ranked #260 of 1,078 Restaurants in Sarasota
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 15, 2012

For someone who has eaten sushi on the West coast and elsewhere this place is definitely sub-standard. For people who don't have very high expectations, it is probably fine. But to me, it is not as good as my neighborhood local cheap sushi takeout was in Greenwich village in college. Two other sushi restaurants in sarasota are much better. I had a california roll with my sashimi and it had Mayonaise! in it . disgusting. the server didn't seem to think that was a problem.
Anyway, I won't go there again.

1  Thank Tookl

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went there because of the great reviews on TA . Having arrived shortly before 5PM when they open for dinner, we joined a number people who were eagerly waiting in line. At 5PM we were welcomed inside into a really nicely decorated and comfortable space. The menu offers lots of unique sushi and sashimi, plus other Japanese entrees and bento boxes. We tried two of the bento box combinations . One had shrimp tempura as the centerpiece and the other had sushi and chicken teriyaki. The bento boxes come with miso soup and a green salad. Both were fresh and so delicious! The portions were ample so we were glad that we didn't order a separate appetizer. Dinner for two cost approximately $40.00 before tax and tip. Well worth it! Next time we'll go for lunch and try one of the lunch specials.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

This restaurant serves fresh, creative, beautiful sushi and accompanying dishes. The staff is invariably helpful and efficient...and welcoming. I usually find that the soft-shelled crab is excellent -- and better prepared than in many seriously upscale establishments. This is not a "beautiful people" watering hole....just an honest and fairly plain place with a warm and invariably smiling staff eager to please. Easy to find on Saraaota’s Main Street…good place to take kids as well.
We had an excellent starter in the Yume Scallop appetizer topped with fish roe...and would definitely order this again. Then, we ordered a platter of sushi including: Hamachi Roll, Salmon Roll, and Spider Roll punctuated with some Yellowtail sashimi. Great choices that did not disappoint.
Open on sundays and mondays when many other restaurants are not.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We've been eating at Yume since it opened a couple of years ago. The main chef is from another very popular sushi place and he left there to open his own restaurant. You probably won't find better sushi in Sarasota! People always tell me about other places being good, but we always come back to Yume. They have a large variety of sushi and other dishes, and they always have specials on their board that are fun to try, and delicious too! There are 3-4 sushi chefs so they are able to get all of the orders out quickly. They have really good soup, and for large groups they serve their dishes in sushi boats which people really love. The only negative comment I have about Yume is that sometimes it takes a while to get your check at the end of the meal. Still, it's worth it because you won't find better tasting sushi in Sarasota. It's a small place, so you may need to make a reservation on a busy night. They don't have their own parking, so you will have to park on the street or look for Sarasota's valet parking. Give Yume a try - I don't think you will be disappointed!

Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife and I have been coming here for several years now with friends, mostly to celebrate birthdays.

Each and every time we come here, we are treated like gold. The service is always amazing. The servers seem to handle large parties extremely well, even with separate checks. Everyone always smiles and they make you feel as If you we're in their home, which is exactly the way it is supposed to feel. Most of the restaurants in SRQ haven't grasped this concept yet, which is a shame.

The chefs are very accommodating, making specialty items without batting an eye. We have eaten at every sushi place in town and Yume has the BEST sushi at the BEST prices and the BEST service PERIOD.

The seaweed salad is amazing...don't leave without trying the Lobster Roll....you will thank me later!