“Perfect happy hour on a rooftop!”

Ceviche Tapas Bar and Restaurant
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Sarasota, Florida, United States
“Perfect happy hour on a rooftop!”
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

The weather and company were fantastic today and so was the service! Tasty, filling, and diverse tapas with cold beer on tap. My friends enjoyed flavored martinis created with style!

Orlando, Florida
“Delicious, romantic and fun!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Dark and sultry, with a Flamenco band, this place oozes romance! Loved all the tapas, loved our bartender, she was great! We love Ceviche in Tampa, and location measures-up for sure!

Visited October 2012
Sarasota, Florida
“Great food and service”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our Wineing Diners dinner group went here this month. The service was excellent as was the food. We all found it comical that the server kept trying to convince us that you "share" Tapas.... we don't like to "share" anything... especially when the food it pricey. This was made even more hysterical when someone ordered the deviled eggs and it came with 3.... There is no way he was giving up his eggs. All in all the food, service, and atmosphere we all fantastic. This place is good for a special dinner or a fun night with friends. I don't think the kids would appreciate it much, They have a bar on the 3rd floor with a live band on the weekends and its a great place to go and enjoy happy hour. They also have a roof top bar that is always open. The unique historical building all adds to the fun appeal an evening at Ceviche.

Visited October 2012
Burnsville, North Carolina
“A Definite Visit on Vacation”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

When vacationing in the Sarasota area, we always visit Ceviche. The tapas are FANTASTIC, the service is wonderful, and the ambiance is really cool. There is nothing better than going to Ceviche with friends and sharing several delicious tapas with each other.

If possible, go on a Tuesday to take advantage of their Tapas Tuesday where about 25 different tapas are only $4 each! I highly recommend the piquillos rellenos. Melt in your mouth good! Quite possibly the best relleno I have ever had.

Definitely stop by Civiche when in Sarasota!

• Visited July 2012
Coral Gables, Florida
“Meh . . . very forgettable”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I love ceviche. I make it at home, and I have it often when I go out. I've been working in Sarasota and I had heard of this place called Ceviche. Gotta try it, I thought. Well, I was generally disappointed. The ceviche was good . . . it's hard to mess up ceviche in the first place. But for a place called Ceviche, the ceviche was uninspired . . . as was all of the other fare. The food and services, quite frankly, was dwarfed by the architecture, which was very nice. Although the decor was hackneyed Spanish tables and Mexican blown glass.

The two ceviche's I has were the "de la casa" and the "pulpo". Both are served in stainless steel martini glasses . . . where do these overtly modern fixtures fit in. The de la casa was good, a bit of spice but not overbearing. I think maybe the spice came from bloody mary mix. The pulp was octopus onion and lime and tended to be on the bland side. Digging into the dish I quickly found that the dish was stuffed with lettuce, What appeared to be decent portion, quickly was revealed to be somewhat meager, especially for the prices.

I also had the salad with duck. The duck was some precooked, smoked blandness and it was offset by sweet figs, apples, a meager sprinkling of walnuts artichoke hearts and lots of lettuce. The sweetness was the only taste. Their was no foil to it, making it a totally uninteresting affair. It could have used some cheese (perhaps a stilton) and some roasted almonds or at least more than 1/2 a crushed walnut.

Likewise, the Sangria was over-iced, watery and unoriginal.

The service was OK . . . but I have come to expect most restaurants in the US to have fair to middling service. At least the server did not want to be best friends . . . I hate chit-chatty servers, but I did have to ask for the check twice.

Overall, from a foodie perspective Ceviche was a dud. It needs a chef who understands that lettuce and sugar are not spices and puffing proportion size with hidden lettuce is, well, dishonest at best.

• Visited October 2012