“Concert extraordinaire”

Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall
Ranked #39 of 141 things to do in Sarasota
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The City of Sarasota's landmark Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall has been entertaining audiences with a variety of Broadway, orchestra, classical, music, dance, theater and comedy for more than 45 years.
Middletown, New York
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Concert extraordinaire”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

We attended the Yanni concert last night with family. The center is a very pleasant smaller venue, beautifully decorated and easy to maneuver. There were many ushers to help you find your way. Parking was plentiful. This was my first time attending a concert here and will not be my last.Only complaint, which had nothing to do with the center, was a large screen TV was not used, and since we were far back it would have been nice to have a screen for closeups. There are no bad seats and the sound and lighting effects were phenomenal. They offer a wonderful choice of performances to suit anyone who loves live performance. And Yanni? THAT was an amazing performance. I gave this review 5 stars particularly because the center is so intimate, Yanni sat at his piano and spoke to the audience after 3 encores on a conversational level for quite a while. It was the perfect ending to a perfect concert.

Visited December 2013

Sarasota
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 206 helpful votes
“Terrific Sound System”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Saw "America"....the 70's band at the Van Wezel. This place is great for a small venue. The sound us terrific. Noise doesn't bounce off the walls and ceiling like Tampa Bay Times Forum. I would return for another show soon.

Visited November 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Big but still pleasant venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

This was my first time at the Van Wezel. It is on the waterfront, if you find that a plus for an after concert stroll. The facility was bigger than I expected, and, thus, more walking than planned for. Nevertheless, my mid-rang seat was comfortable, with an unobstructed view and great acoustics.

Staff and volunteers were pleasant, efficient and knowledgeable. Parking is ample and free.

I would love to have a venue like this in my town.

Visited October 2013
Tampa, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Wonderful place, not a bad seat anywhererer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

We went to see Itzhak Perlman and his winter conservatory students. This was my first time being here and I love this venue. It is small enough to not have a bad seat in the place. I would gladly sit up at the back knowing I could still see everything wonderfully. I love that parking is easy and included in your ticket just find your place and your done. They only drawback is since it's smaller there's no center isle so you're climbing over people to get to the middle or getting climbed over if you are near the edges. I would most definitely go there again for any performance!

Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“WOW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Attended the Mama Mia play and we were all blown away at how professional and entertaining it was! Even though we were in the next to the last row we could all see perfectly. I love going here because the parking is easy. I would love to see it again....that's how good it was! Thank you Van Wezel!

Visited October 2013