“Acoustics need work” 3 of 5 bubbles

Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall
Ranked #39 of 138 things to do in Sarasota
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The City of Sarasota's landmark Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall has been entertaining audiences with a variety of Broadway, orchestra, classical, music, dance, theater and comedy for more than 45 years.
Florida
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Acoustics need work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have seen a couple of musicals here and I have not been impressed. They were decent, but not the quality expected of that venue.

Visited February 2013

Austin, Texas
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Fun Time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We went list night to the Van Wezel to see Pirate's of Penzance. It was the NYC Gilbert and Sullivan group touring and they were only playing one night. I've never gone to the Van Wezel before when we've visited Sarasota (we come at least once a year). I have to say we had a wonderful time.
I thought the acoustics were really good in the auditorium and the show wonderful. A nice new adventure for our trip!

1 Thank Rebecca G
Cape Coral, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Paid my last visit”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Went to Les Misberables last night. I have to say I have always found the fact that there is no centre access aisle odd, but people were still allowed to stumble in 40 minutes into the performance using cell phones as flashlights. I spent most of the first act bobbing up and down.
Please enact a strict "curtain up" policy!

4 Thank SWFLGuest
Troy, Michigan
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“The Purple Building has its charm. The music is not bad either.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

A unique auditorium by the water, host to world class performances in the Sarasota area. Dinner is available on site which makes it convenient. A must see if you are in Sarasota.

Apollo Beach, Florida
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Van Wezel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Excellent venue for plays, concerts, the symphony - from any seat you have a fantastic view of the entertainment. Very well organized and the docents are more than helpful.

Visited April 2012