Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Review Highlights
Great time killer.

We had some extra time before our flight so we drove out to the park. It was nice. Lots of bird... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
RoyalsFans
via mobile
Explore nature.

I drove out to take the river tour. It was a hot day - but there was a nice breeze once we got... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
kerrih442018
Selkirk, New York
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Sarasota
from $66.15
from $61.64
from $59.00
from $259.00
3,388 results
All reviews canopy walk boat ride bird walk wild pigs deep hole real florida gator stew nature trail observation tower suspension bridge roseate spoonbills bird watching old florida gift shop florida wildlife their natural habitat walking trails
Selected filters
Reviewed October 28, 2020 via mobile

We took the tram tour. Dennis was so knowledgeable and friendly. We learned so much about the park and the wildlife in it. It is such a tranquil place.

Date of experience: October 2020
Reviewed October 22, 2020

I drove out to Myakka for a change of scene during Covid isolation. Perhaps my mistake was going on such an oppressive hot & humid Florida day. I did a short walk to the Canopy Walkway, which is nothing special, especially since the observation tower at the end is closed due to Covid.

I decided to pay $20+ for a boat tour, but since the captain said he didn't believe in masks, and he was speaking near me for the entire tour (honestly, he didn't stop yakking for a second), I felt uncomfortable the entire time.

If you go, be aware that some trails may be flooded after a rain.

2  Thank Shariland
Reviewed September 26, 2020

My husband, 14-year old son, and I had a great afternoon at Myakka River State Park. We purchased the combo pass which included the boat ride and the tram ride. Matt was our guide on the boat ride, and he admitted up front that we probably wouldn't see many alligators or other wildlife due to the recent heavy rains and the time of the year. However we did spot one alligator on the shore and then two or three more in the water. We saw so many beautiful types of birds and got some great photos. Matt told us about the history of the lake at the state park as well as his family's connections to the park. Our guide for the tram ride was Robert and he was very knowledgeable about the plants and trees of the park. We also got to see a deer and a very large alligator. Robert also told us a lot of the history of the park, which of course we had already heard on the boat ride, but it was interesting nonetheless. We were able to walk around some flooded trails to get to the canopy walk, which was really nice but not as high or as long as we had imagined it to be. The 74 ft tower was closed (I am guessing due to COVID) so we didn't get to see that. Next time we are in the area and come to the State Park we will come prepared to hike and bike as we hear that the trails are incredible. The park is very well maintained and worth a visit for sure.

Reviewed September 22, 2020 via mobile

Captain Matt Reid was very knowledgeable about this beautiful ecosystem. His commentary was exceptionally entertaining and educational. His family has lived and worked in the area for generations. A most worthwhile excursion.

Reviewed August 31, 2020

Trying to keep socially distant my friend and I decided to visit Myakka River State park. We spent the day on a pontoon boat ride on the river with an extremely interesting captain who not only gave us a boat tour but talked about his families history on the river. We could have listened to Matt talk for hours. I totally recommend this boat ride.
We then took the tram ride and Evy was our guide and driver. She had so much knowledge of the park and animals we saw. She told wonderful stories of the pioneers and how they survived. I will go again!!!

Date of experience: August 2020