“A little bit of heaven in Florida”

Myakka River State Park
Ranked #6 of 141 things to do in Sarasota
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the original Civilian Conservation Corps parks.
Florida
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“A little bit of heaven in Florida”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

Spend a quiet day in nature. One of my favorite things to do when we visit the park is to climb the tower and hope the kites (a species of bird) are catching some air currents that day. The park is beautifully maintained but remember, this is not Disney - the alligators are real here! You can rent bikes and cabins and have a great time!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Park with something for everyone!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

This place was so cool. It has something for everyone. I was visiting a friend who her & her husband took me there. It has some awesome areas throughout. There were people out in boats when we parked, and then we walked down the trail through the amazing trees to see the Alligators! They were huge!! Then we walked through a wetland that had lots of birds and is a great area for birdwatchers. There were people throughout the park, enjoying it. You walked through the trails and could actually see where wild boar had been and even had a Canopy Walkway in the trees!! See my review for the Canapy Walk - I have bad knees, but I was able to walk the steps, which have little landings and informational plaques posted along your way. The view was awesome. I love State Parks and this was my first trip to Florida. My friends wanted to give me a taste of what the "real" Florida was like all in the span of a few hours. I truly enjoyed sitting on the benches near the water and watched an alligator slide into the water and swim down near where we were sitting and watch us as we watched him. What a beautiful place and so serene. Appears to have many visitors but was definitely not overcrowded. I'd love to spend time there again. It is a worthwhile place to visit if you have the time. There are many things to do and a wonderful gift shop is there also.

Visited April 2012
California City, California
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 224 helpful votes
“canopy walk was very peaceful and nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

This was our fist time at Myakka River State Park, & we had a very nice walk through peaceful paths and to the canopy where we had a spectacluar view!!! we also drove to the area where there was a great place to eat and a gift shop with VERY unique gifts. It was a great day!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank chantesinging
Gainesville Florida
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“beautiful park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is a huge park. They have hiking, canoeing, kyaking, biking camping, tram rides and boat nature trips. We rented the bikes and walked a few trails. It is lovely. Don't forget to bring sunscreen and bug spray.

Visited May 2012
Sarasota, FL
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Take out a kayak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Wanna get an upclose feel of the alligators? Take a kayak out, somewhat scary, but an amazing experience. The waterways of Myakka are so beautiful and serene. Make a stop at the giftstore/ice cream shop. They have some great souvenirs and tasty treats in there. Also incredible to ride bikes or just take a stroll through the treetop canopy walk. Don't forget to climb the viewing tower to see the expansive view of the Park. Absolutely gorgeous. I love Myakka!

Visited January 2012