“Breathtakingly Beautiful”

and up
Small-Group Tour: 3-Hour Mysteries of Native Florida Hike
Ranked #2 of 145 things to do in Sarasota
More attraction details
Owner description: A sprawling botanical garden.
Reviewed February 2, 2014

It was a toss up for us to go to Selby's or to another spot. We are SO glad we chose Selby's. What a beautiful collection of well cared for and rare specimens. I'm not what you'd call a real nature nut but this was a gem of a spot. Located right on the bay, it's picturesque setting was classic old Florida at it's best. Even my 15 yr old son had a good time (just had to cut him lose with a camera). Well worth the fee and time spent. Before we knew it, 3 hours had passed. If we ever visit Sarasota again, we will return.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,366)

Reviewed February 1, 2014

There were several special aspects of this Botanical Gardens - orchids, bonsai, and lovely paths but pretty expensive. Probably wouldn't return.

Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

This was so much better than expected! So many beautiful orchids in bloom in the greenhouse. My husband wasn't thrilled about going but really enjoy the walk around the grounds. There is a small suspension bridge through the banyans that was fun as well.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Tropical trees and plants flourish in a quiet and beautiful waterfront setting. A world-class assortment of orchids reside in the greenhouse you pass through on your way to the outdoor gardens. While this is all sedate and grown up, a recently (late 2013) opened children's area features bouncy plank bridges and thatch-covered towers. Special kudos to the writer(s) and artist(s) who created the lovely, informative and surprisingly entertaining signage.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

This was my first trip to the Gardens. It will not be my last. My sister and I wanted a relatively nearby spot where she could indulge a new-found passion for orchids. She was not disappointed. I was dazed and amazed. The conservatory contains thousands of orchids, some nestled in huge bird's nest ferns and other (to me, the uninitiated) unlikely spots. We both took hundreds of photos and also spent time and money at the Garden Shop where very gracious and knowledgeable volunteers answered questions and helped Toni choose and pack several orchids to take back with her to the frozen North. I bought a totally gorgeous, colorful Dendrobium for a good friend who shared her family's Christmas dinner with me. I always thought the Marie Selby Gardens would be stuffy and mostly for old folks. Not at all.