“Ruben Gracious as Always”
Review of El Toro Bravo

El Toro Bravo
Ranked #38 of 1,148 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: When it comes to Southwest Mexican cuisine, there is only one place in Sarasota that creates a one-of-a-kind dining experience that keeps visitors and locals coming back for more. Family owned and operated, El Toro Bravo combines fresh, flavorful food along with honest prices and outstanding service.
Reviewed January 13, 2012

This was a return visit after a year hiatus. Sat with 7 others, five of whom were pleased with their more traditional dishes of tacos, quesadillas, veggie burrito. Two of us were disappointed in the Pescado Rico (tilapia in crusty breading). The fish was "fishy" tasting, no doubt a frozen Asian variety. The plantains were over-cooked and too heavily breaded. The salad was excellent as was the salsa provided for the chips. Very nice, inexpensive bottles of wine available along with wine margaritas and beers. Close seating and noisy.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

We have lived here for 21 years and have always passed this strip center restaurant without going in until I read the reviews on this site. That was my mistake. This has quickly become my favorite Sarasota Mexican restaurant.

My son and I both had the Acapulco, This is a lot of great food. We got the beef echilada with the red sauce. It came with a chile relleno, taco, beans and rice. My wife had the beef fajitas. This was the most flavorful beef fajitas that I have ever had. As good as the Acapulco was, I wish that I had ordered that. My daughter had the stacked and raved about how good it was.

The restaurant itself is nothing special, but the presentation of the dishes is very good. Service has always been very good. For they type restaurant you are going to, I felt outstanding. But I don't want to make you think this is 5 star restaurant service either.

I go to two different mexican restaurants. El Adobe is the more reasonably priced ($7 a meal), but the quality isn't as good. This is about $5 a plate more, but the taste is outstanding. You can't go wrong either way, but I'd go to this one.

3  Thank Sarasotabob
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Muy atentos. Me hicieron sentir en casa. Los chips y la salsa sabrosos! Y las fajitas super ricas! Gracias! Volveremos.

1  Thank Modico
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I have been to my fare share of Mexican restaurants in my time, both here in the United States as well as in Mexico. This place is king of the hill. The atmosphere, service, and of course, top quality food is enough reason to put this on everyone's "best of" list. Ruben is possibly one of the kindest owners to a restaurant I have ever met and his staff is top quality.

Tonights meal was simply amazing. I love spicy food and my waitress knew right away to bring me some of their extra spicy salsa which did not disappoint. The food comes out piping hot and from the first bite you can tell that this isn't "chain restaurant" food. Sarasota offers several very, very good Mexican restaurants, several of which I have already reviewed but for the most authentic "Mexican food" experience, no other place touches this.

I tried a new dish tonight but I usually get the Fajita Burrito which is divine. My wife loves their steak Fajita's but honestly, there is nothing on this menu that isn't going to be amazing from what I have tasted thus far.

Be warned, this place gets busy fairly early even during the week. There is a reason for this and you'll see when you go. Chef/owner Ruben has made a name for himself in Sarasota. There are quite a few people that know of this place and have been here and they all love it! I myself have gotten my whole family to visit on more than one occasion and will continue to do so. Bravo!!!

5  Thank EugeneW8874
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Love Mexican food and went here for lunch based on other reviews. I was expecting the food to be good, but it was even better than I expected. Fresh Salsa was very good. had the Jalepeno Relleno appetizer and it was really tasty and came with 3 different sauces to try. Our entrees were excellent. Food arrived quickly and as we ordered it. If you love Mexican food, good here.....watch out their is another restaurant in the same plaza.

2  Thank JohnTavares_Florida