“Fantastic Experience”
Review of WaterColor Inn

WaterColor Inn
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

I recently had the pleasure of staying at Watercolor for several days this past April. What a beautiful property and an overall great resort experience. The staff members, from check-in to the wait staff at the pool bar/grill, were friendly and attentive. They were able to accommodate several special requests with ease.

The hotel rooms were spacious and all are beach-front. I was able to stay on the 4th floor, so I had amazing views of the sunset during my stay. The rooms and clean and well-maintained.

I also loved the coziness of the library, which is located off of the lobby. I enjoyed a glass of wine and a good book one rainy afternoon... The wine and cocktail menus were unique and offered something for everyone.

Overall, I was very pleased with my experience at Watercolor. There are a multitude of activities to participate in daily, easy access to the beach and several pools, and lots of great shops, restaurants and bars nearby. I only wish I had had more time to explore the area via bike (which are provided for each guest). I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone visiting this area.

• Stayed: April 2014
AmberLetoMayer, General Manager at WaterColor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at WaterColor Inn & Resort! We are so glad that you were able to enjoy the library and find some time to relax at the resort. If there is anything that we can do to assist you with your future beach vacation plans, please let us know.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

It is very seldom that we leave a vacation after a full week and think to ourselves that we just want to stay longer. This place makes you never want to leave. The staff is great and the resort is the best. Stay on the 4th floor, the view is great.

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th floor if possible. More expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We just got back from a week at WaterColor and had the perfect experience. We rented a house in Watercolor for me and my husband and 7 teenagers. We started off the week by renting bikes for everyone from the Bike Barn (WC guests receive 25% off). That was great because then the kids had just enough freedom. They were able to go to WaterColor and Seaside communities and their beaches on their own schedule. Nothing is open too late so they never got in any trouble. We never had a worry about safety - everyone rides bikes there and it's the preferred mode of transportation. We rented a house that had a carriage house in the back and we put 5 teenage girls back there - and all their mess! It was the perfect setup.

I wish WC had more restaurants. Most of their options closed at 5:00. I never did find the sushi place. The shops are cute but overpriced. My husband and I had a nice evening at the Wine Loft sitting outside listening to music and enjoying the weather. Overall, we would recommend WC, though. We loved it.

Room Tip: We rented a house on Lake District Lane. I wouldn't stay any further than that. The part over th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank KMD814
Reviewed July 11, 2014

My family and I just returned from our July 4th stay at the Watercolor Inn & Resort. I think all of Texas was staying in Watercolor as we always sat next to people from Dallas (yay) and Houston (meh).

We stayed in room 207 and had a great view of the ocean and some of the dunes. The room was quite clean except for under the bathroom counters. I dropped a something and when I picked it up, there was a ton of other hair colors that collected on it. Gross! I know housekeeping is in a rush but for the $500/night we spent, I would expect it to be cleaner. The mattress was pretty bad but we are spoiled with a Tempurpedic mattress at home.

We really appreciated having a mini-fridge and not a mini-bar. With so many young kids and babies, having the fridge for milk and water was wonderful. We were able to go to Publix (about 10 min. drive due to all of the pedestrians crossing 30A in Seaside) and get a few groceries.

We attended the 4th of July picnic on the beach. Although the food was okay, sitting on a beach at sunset, and watching fireworks shoot off from a barge was awesome. Everybody enjoyed it. Although the boat that Watercolor was using to launch fireworks died, they found a way to convince Seaside to move theirs closer to our resort. AWESOME!

The beach. Granted it was a holiday weekend but I don't think I have ever sat THAT close to strangers. However, most of them were very nice. The cabana boys led us to our pre-reserved chairs (did this when we booked our hotel and highly recommend) and setup our umbrella for us. These guys work quite hard as they put up and take down these chairs every day. Giving them a couple of dollars will go a long way as they have to sit outside and deal with not-so-kind tourists.

PSA: If you want to play music while on the beach, please do not blast it. What you enjoy, the people around you may not like. Be respectful! We had one person set up speakers and blast her country music. However, we were trying to get my toddler to nap on the beach and sitting so close to them and loud music did not work.

Since we paid $150 for 2 chairs, we wanted to sit there for as long as possible. Unlike other resorts, you don't have to race down to the beach to grab a chair at 6 AM. Everybody took their time to get down to the beach and it was nice. It didn't get crowded until around lunch time. The ocean water was not always clear as there was June grass floating around. However, it really depended on the day. Our true highlight of our trip was seeing Dallas Cowboys Tight End, Jason Witten sitting 50 feet from us. Since we're from Dallas, we were excited to see a local celeb.

The food at the beach club was meh. Nothing special but very $$$$. I felt the Gathering Spot's food was a bit better, but I'm sure it was the same. I would highly recommend leaving the resort to take a 10 min walk/bike ride to Seaside. They have a ton of places to dine and people watch. We had our last dinner in 30A at Great Southern Cafe. It must be popular since it was the only place with a wait. There are a lot of cute shops for both kids and adults. I bought a few things for my son at Seaside Kids and Duckies.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and the staff was wonderful. If we had to wait more than 5-10 min for a drink, they would give it to us for free. However, I would recommend adding another person to the front desk or a mobile station OR direct general questions to reservations. We had to wait over 15 minutes for assistance and most of the time, the employees were on the phone.

I would say this is more for families during the busy season, as a ton of family reunions were going on. However, we did see a lot of couples there as well. If you don't mind being around young kids, then you will be fine.

Room Tip: If you want quiet at all hours, make sure you request a room away from the adult pool. Since we brou...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2014

What can one say about the beaches on the Florida panhandle that hasn't already been said…they are the best. This lovely resort is right on a pristine beach, and adjacent to some nice beachside shopping areas in Watercolor and Seaside. Your room is amply sized with a large shower and bathroom area. Very nice toiletries are provided and the bed is outstanding. We loved to sit on the outside deck and watch the gulf waters wash ashore. The service is top notch and everybody is super friendly. I was a bit disappointed in the condition of our room - we saw several areas where paint was peeling off the ceiling and the light fixture in the shower was very loose and a slight touch allowed it to drop out of the ceiling. I alerted the front desk to this potential hazard but no repairs were effected while we were there. And while the wifi is built into the cost of the room, it was inconsistent in its operation and speed. We used the resort's bikes and never had a problem securing a pair of them in the morning. All in all, this is a very nice resort but I wouldn't say it's a bargain….you're paying top dollar to enjoy the view and amenities. Pickings are slim in this area for hotels/resorts, and this is clearly the best available.

Room Tip: Pay the up charge to get a gulf view from the third and fourth floors…it's worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This is a lovely resort, right on the beach! We stayed in the Inn (hotel) since it was our first visit and were thrilled with the accommodations. The room was very nice, the bed OH SO comfortable, the bath products very nice, and the view from the (fourth floor) room fabulous. We did prepay for beach chairs, and we saw others standing in line at 9 a.m. to get beach chairs. Other reviews said that the chairs are set up too closely, but it is a popular beach. You are not "on top" of others in chairs as some reviewers said.You are next to others in reserved chairs under umbrellas. Very nice! (I agree that the chairs are an additional cost that should be included in the room, but that is another topic all together.) We also enjoyed the adults only pool -- so quiet compared to the noise that goes with a family pool; however, the family pool is very big and nice. A sign reads that "towels do not reserve chairs, people do," and they take that literally. We saw pool workers removing towels that others had put down to reserve chairs. This is a tough stance, but as long as they are consistent, I appreciate it as a guest. It is wrong for one person to go down early to a hotel/resort pool and reserve a large group of chairs for family/friends that meander down much later. Good for Watercolor! We enjoyed a continental breakfast at the Fish Out of Water, and I had planned by taking sandwich makings for our lunch, packing the cooler. That was the way to go! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and took advantage of their DVD library. We could watch the July 4 fireworks from our balcony -- so nice and convenient!

Room Tip: The fourth floor offers the best views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fromAtl
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Water-Color, seaside can't be explained in words...only experienced. From the moment you arrive, to the time you leave, this community offers great food, incredible beaches, and an experience that's hard to match as it relates to beach resorts and coastal living...if you go once, you'll most certainly be back again!!!

Frank and Erin Hawkins

The Henderson - A Salamander Beach & Spa Resort
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Sandestin at Grand Boulevard
Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort

Been to WaterColor Inn? Share your experiences!