“Rude Incompetent Management”

North Beach Tortilla Co.
Description: North Beach Tortilla Co.is a taco and tequila bar overlooking the Choctawhatchee Bay. The restaurant has a large covered deck featuring a selection of 100 tequilas, craft cocktails, and draft beer. The menu is a mix of Spanish, Southwestern, and Florida cuisine - with a strong emphasis on fresh, made-from-scratch food using carefully sourced ingredients and authentic cooking methods.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Attended a music performance this morning which was held on an unheated outdoor patio enclosed by plastic curtains. The assistant manager violated local ordinances by admitting 3 times the people allowed in the restaurant. To remedy this, she opened all the curtains to the 35 degree weather and 20 mph winds, thereby freezing everyone’s butts off. Greedy, unsafe and illegal. I hope the promoters of the music festival will not permit this restaurant to be a hosting venue in the future. The assistant manager should be relieved of her duties, and I caution anyone going to this restaurant because who knows what other violations they are guilty of.

Date of visit: January 2020
greats2016, Agency / Consultant at North Beach Tortilla Co., responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

While this review is spirited, it could not be further from the truth. To be clear, our patio was heated as best as possible and at no time that day did we come anywhere near reaching our county-mandated occupancy limits for the building. To be clear, the festival organizers were closely monitoring, managing, and staging the flow of people into all of our businesses that day the same way that they do for the entire festival weekend.

Our decision to open a handful of flaps on the leeward side of the building to aid in the egress of festival goers was the opposite of being in violation, it was done for people’s safety due to the location of the performances. Although we regret that you felt cold, we were also offering complimentary coffee and blankets to festival goers. Furthermore, to make unwarranted and factually incorrect statements about the safety of customers in our businesses is wanton and careless and should not be done so lightly. We hope that you will reconsider this review, but if not we trust that our reputation around town and beyond for operating friendly, safe, and legal businesses will outweigh your negative opinion.

Write a reviewReviews (25)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Went on a Thursday night and was surprised how empty the venue was - tells me the locals don’t like it. The location is great and the interior is inviting. We lived in San Antonio for over a decade (now live near this restaurant) and know good Mexican cuisine - this is on the opposite side of that spectrum. Had the stuffed jalapeño appetizer and it was unique... not in a good way. I had the tacos... how can you mess up a taco?? My wife had the shrimp fajitas and we have never seen boiled unseasoned anything in a tortilla with no spices... did I say Mexican cuisine?? Ask your twelve year old to make you shrimp fajitas! All of that could be forgivable if they served a killer margarita. It was not only not a killer... it wasn’t a margarita by any definition we know. Seriously, I bought $30 of extra shots to make our margaritas taste like one! Sadly, they charged me the $30. At the end of the evening, as we were leaving, we had a discussion with on-site management. Based on the reaction, this place will be out of business before you can visit it... unless clueless tourists keep it alive simply because it’s there.

2  Thank Bob D
Reviewed January 3, 2020 via mobile

My son and I had dinner here last night. Arrived by 5 and it wasn’t busy at all. We sat inside in a booth. The salty chips served with salsa to start are excellent. I love the latest menu and hope its to stay. My son start with the queso sofrito which he loved. For dinner I had the grouper bowl and my son had the steak fajitas. For dessert we had the blood orange pie. Everything here is fresh and delicious. And prices are reasonable. We can’t wait to come back!

Reviewed January 2, 2020 via mobile

Had dinner on New Year’s Day. They were understaffed so we were patient. Had the hot wings and they were good. My wife had the bowl with grouper. Paid extra )13-$15 for some a pitiful fish serving. We will likely not eat here again.

1  Thank EarlB731
Reviewed December 30, 2019

I would highly recommend to everyone. Dan provided outstanding customer service & respect. Thank you!!

Date of visit: December 2019