“Nice walking or biking paths”

Topsail Beach State Preserve
More attraction details
Owner description: With three miles of beach, this state beach appeals to nature lovers.
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Nice paved pathways for walking or biking. The map is a little confusing to understand at first. We had fun looking for flowers and bugs to photograph. And we got to park for free the day we visited. Normally a charge for parking there.

All reviews
"laundry facilities"
"tram takes"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed August 10, 2011

Ok, this was my first real camping trip in my new travel trailer so I cannot honestly elaborate on the park amenities as I have nothing to compare them to. Nonetheless, I was appalled that I inadvertently parked my RV in spot #6 and immediately began to have some unwanted visitors. There was a date fruit tree 3 feet from my trailer which most certainly attracted the yellow jackets that fed off of it in the early to late afternoon daily, making it impossible to sit outside and enjoy the florida sunshine. Of course there were ants too but that's expected, right. What I did not expect to see were what appeared to be flying asian cockroaches which are very prevalent in Florida. Looked it up on my Iphone. These are about 1/2 inch golden brown and not the giant palmetto bugs, although I did see one of them too. My neighbor confirmed this for me since he is a lifelong resident of the area.
I watched while these roaches flattened out and then made their way into my travel trailer via the front door. Yes, that's right. They made it through the closed screen door and the main door as well with ease. I went to Home Depot and bought some ammunition which I began to spray everywhere and I did this daily. I sprayed around the doors and storage areas. I continued to see the roaches on the exterior but they were no longer entering my trailer via the doors. Now, they would land on you and follow you inside so we had to be very careful so as to not bring them in with us. I even saw one in my car! I learned that they are attracted to the lights so we kept our outdoor light off at all times, which seemed to deter them.
I suppose I sound like a roach phobic and I guess I am. These pests carry disease and I did not want to bring them home with me but I did. Today, we went back to our camper to put up some laundry we had washed after our return home. A roach landed on the laundry basket then flew out the door.
I now know that there are foggers you can use at campsites and to avoid parking next to any fruit bearing tree. I am writing this review because I wish I had been forewarned.

1  Thank candfloyd
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed at the RV park in the Preserve. The spaces are extremely well kept, we had privacy between our Motorhome and our neighbors and beach access is very easy over a paved trail to walk, bike, or take the free tram service. The area is very uncrowded since it is away from public areas. The sand and the water are just beautiful! The Park Rangers are very helpful with directions and suggestions for restaurants and other area attractions. We really want to go back here! I highly recommend this park.

6  Thank jano-staugustine
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Family with 3 teens. Walking to the beach was quite a trek. The tram was the best solution, but I've always been self mobile. We had to leave the beach at a certain time or it would be another hour for transportation and it was quite a hike. Tram posted it's times were approx. so we got there early and sat and waited. Supposedly another attraction was campbell lake, but was never mentioned on tram and we still wonder were that was. Advertised for fishing. We fished with fresh bait and lures and did not catch anything(fresh water around campground). Salt water only netted trash. They people running the campground did seem nice and helpful. The campground was very clean. The showers need a serious update. The shower we went to had no place to sit dry items except the public sinks.

2  Thank tiff30452
See more reviews
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed a week in the cabins at the Topsail Beach State Preserve. These were awesome - so much room with all the extras we needed! The kitchen was well stocked with all appliances plus extras such as a blender, toaster, and coffee maker. Note - no cork screw provided! We thought the accommodations were an excellent value! Every day we rode our bikes down the .7 mile trail down to the beach and our kids loved this part of the trip. Our six year old loved riding down the trail and easily made the trip several times a day. We noticed many families walking the path and riding the tram provided. It's really a well set up camp ground. The park rangers are helpful and around if you have any questions. I was even stopped by a ranger one evening when traveling a bit too fast on the roads around the campground, which shows they are watchful! The pool was great and our kids found lots of new friends to hang with each evening. My husband and I enjoyed the shuffle board courts as well. Everything was very well maintained.
I felt this campground was extremely safe. We often left our bikes / trailers unlocked around the campground and never worried about anything being missing.
We expected to see some of the Florida wildlife. After all - we chose this location simply to get away from the high rise condos and crowds. We were told by the rangers that black bears are often seen throughout the grounds, but we weren't fortunate enough to see any. One evening my son was building with legos in the back room of the cabin, when he came in to tell me there was a large scorpion in the room. My husband went to look, but couldn't find anything. We questioned him, because our midwest boy had never seen one outside of zoos or books. His comment was priceless, "Mom, I think I know a scorpion if I see one." About five minutes later my husband went back in to look, and sure enough, there was a scorpion in our back room. Luckily (or sadly, if you're a 10 year old boy) that was the only sighting.
We had our second Wild Kingdom moment while fishing in the fresh water lake. We took the approximately 2 mile long bike trail to get to the lake, and honestly I was creeped out from the very beginning. Not a soul around, huge overgrown weeds on the sides of the lake and trail, and no clear fishing areas / docks. After about 20 minutes of casting into the weeds, I noticed the log close to us was moving. Yep - two gators moving in closer to see what we were up to. I know gators don't attack people on a regular basis, but I didn't want to stick around to find out. This is their territory and I was clearly trespassing!
When we needed anything we found it handy to have the new WalMart literally five minutes away - we could have ridden our bikes easily, but there is a four lane highway to cross. We loved the bike trails around the area and found we could easily do 15 mile rides with our kids with very little trouble.
We found that Topsail had everything we expected! We were looking for a private area with opportunity to be active yet relaxed. We hope to return soon!

12  Thank ballstatealum94