“A little slice of heaven.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sanibel Island
Periwinkle Cottages of Sanibel
Reviewed August 11, 2009

If you are interested in having a relaxing holiday in the most beautiful setting imaginable, this is the place for you! My husband and I spent a week at the cottages and were able to completely forget about the pressures of our "real life" back home in the big city. Only a short walk to the beach, the morning and evening walks along the beach allowed us the opportunity to get a little bit of exercise without feeling like we had just been to a boot camp. And the sunsets can simply not been beat. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything as spectacular. We particularly enjoyed the privacy and quiet we were afforded on our porch as we sorted and cleaned the beautiful seashells we brought back from our daily walks. I adore seashells, and these are some of the finest beaches for shelling I have seen - not to mention the sand dollars and starfish. Accomodations were lovely and the furnishings were reminiscent of the spirit of "Old Florida." If you are tired of the concrete jungle, these adorable and quaint cottages are for you. But that does not mean you'll have to do without the comforts of home - we were glad to see that there was internet access - that allowed us to send tons of photos to our family and friends. I really enjoyed the convenience of being able to use laundry facilities without having to drive to a laundromat. We took a couple of day trips during our stay to see the Everglades as well as nearby Ding Darling on the advice of the couple who owns the cottages. Were they ever right - they seemed to know exactly what we wanted and were never to busy to answer any question we might have had about the area. It was nice to have a "local" help us find our way around. We're definitely planning a return visit to the cottages next summer.... and if I can talk my husband into it, I'm thinking it might be nice to see the quiet beauty of Sanibel this winter, as well!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank uptowngurl
There are newer reviews for Periwinkle Cottages of Sanibel

Reviewed July 15, 2009

Just returned from another recharging stay at Periwinkle Cottages. Already planning our next {5th!} visit which can't come soon enough! We actually live less than 50 miles away, but it seems like another world. With stressful hospital jobs, a dose of Periwinkle is just what the doctor ordered. This time I found the largest lightning whelk I had ever seen! We have stayed in the Ibis and love the breezy screened-in porch and king-size bed, but the Sandpiper is our favorite. We feel like we have our own little piece of Ding Darling, watching the turtles, birds and the occasional alligator too. We took just under a million photos this time. Mark and Kathy are always vwery accommodating, friendly & helpful.They are never too busy to answer any questions for us. We love the laid-back feeling and our privacy. Sometimes we are not able to leave until Friday after work. We have arrived as late as 11:00 at night, but are never meant to feel we have to pay before walking through the door. Instead, we get 'You're here to relax. Have a wonderful time" ...and we do! Our cottages is immaculate every time and the furnishings are very comfortable. Everything we need is included without those extra fees some places charge for beach chairs,towels and bikes. They even include high speed internet access, so when we absolutely need to reach the rest of the world we can. It's so nice to be able to throw a few personal items in a suitcase and just go! The rates are what brought us to Periwinkle our first time. Now the rates let us treat ourselves to Doc Ford's and The Timbers more often! If you're looking for something other than a cookie-cutter condo & want to get away from the noisy crowds, this is it. We love our little home away from home at Periwinkle Cottages.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank shellgalFl
Reviewed June 30, 2009

My wife and i have recently returned from a trip around floridas west coast.We planned our route and used trip advisor for help but nothing really prepared us for our dreadfull experience at periwinkle cottages.From the photo's you see of the cottages all seems ok
but on arrival it could not be more different.Firstly there was nobody there to welcome us to the cottages and i don't know about anyone else but i think its important to be made to feel welcome when your spending hard earned cash,and then we saw our room and i was gobsmacked we have done alot of travelling and stayed in alot of places but this was a tip. Smelly ,dusty the tv was broken and the backyard was a dump.We where booked in to stay for three nights and after a very uncomfortable first night we decided to complain. I was not expecting the responce we got. After complaining i was told that i had offended them and there family business and was also made to feel guilty for complaining and in return they where hardly bothered and it was my fault for staying there,so we packed our bags and left after one night.
We stayed in the bungalow at the rear of the property so i can't comment on what the other rooms are like.Thankfully it did not ruin our holiday we moved on and booked another hotel.I would strongly warn anyone to consider staying anywhere else but these cottages

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank mackyleicester
Reviewed June 25, 2009

We arrived at the Cottages on Sunday afternoon and Mark, the owner was on premesis and met with us. He was very nice and showed us around. He showed us around the pond and a small alligator was in the pond and stayed around the pond during our stay. Once we were settled in we retrieved our private parking pass for the lot at the end of the drive and went to the beach. The beach was beautiful. This was our fifth stay in the area but the first stay on the island. The shelling was ok the first afternoon but the sunset cant be beat. No crowds at the cottages, maybe 6-10 people if busy. Of the four cottages we met only two of the other parties and the third we never saw. We traveled with our 14 year old and 8 year old and I feared the fact that no swimming pool was available but the kids never once mentioned that there was not a pool. The complaints of the long walk to the beach are ridiculus. I am by no means in good shape and I enjoyed the walks to the beach especially in the evening to watch the sunsets. The neighbors on the drive are very nice and everyone is friendly.

We recovered some small to medium conch shells and some very nice whelks along with some others. Found a nine legged starfish, sting ray and several small sharks were caught in the area this week. It was hot but this is florida in the summer, its going to be hot but the gulf breeze makes it feel a little cooler.

We did take a day trip into the florida everglades about a two hour drive south just outside of Naples. Saw 49 alligators and a florida panther. Other than that we stayed on the island for the trip and truely relaxed. If your eating out you gotta hit several staples in the area. The Lazy Flamingo, Cheeburger-Cheeburger (the original) and the Island Cow are some that we hit on every trip.

After this trip I will always stay on the island and look forward to staying at Periwinkle in the future. This was a wonderful trip.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank pantherdad18
Reviewed April 18, 2009

We just got back from Sanibel Island.We stayed in the Ibis we really enioyed our stay and cottage. It was very clean and cheerful and was beautiful weather while we were there. The location near the beach was great and the shelling was good, my wife loved it. She was kinda disappointed that she didn't find a lot of larger ones though, maybe next time. It was a shock for me not having someone there demanding money before you get your key. Instead I got, we will see you in a day or two to settle up don't worry HAVE A GREAT TIME. I would recomend a rental car unless you like to ride a bike ALOT.
You are 2 miles from everthing nice flat bike ride though. Mark and Kathy were great host and would visit again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank firedogOklahoma
Reviewed April 7, 2009

Whether you travel to a sunny,warm destination with family, a sweetheart or alone, this is an ideal escape to an island cottage...just a short walk to an AMAZING beach.
Believe me, I have cleanliness standards wherever I go, and I know I will get nothing less than spotless when I stay @ Periwinkle...I've been returning to this destination yearly because i believe the owners are THE best, the value is unsurpassed and the overall experience for me has been nothing short of heavenly!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank seamearunr
Reviewed January 26, 2009

My husband and I first stayed at Periwinkle Cottages in 2004. I found them on the internet and booked with Kathy on-line.
Upon arrival I missed being right on the water for about 3 seconds. In addition to falling in love with Sanibel, we fell in love with Periwinkle Cottages. We have stayed in The Huron several times, alone and with our kids, we have been in The Ibis and The Bungelow, we have been in early fall, late fall, winter, spring and early summer...each season has its bonuses and drawbacks. Bugs are big in Florida in the spring, summer and fall...you just have to be prepared for that.

We love the location of Periwinkle, half-way between SAnibel and Captiva, right by Ding, and near Tarpon Bay, easy to get to Jensens for some boating and a quick drive to The Island Cow. You get the best of Sanibel without all the traffic or other tourists.

The private beach is private and beautiful and easy to get to. We have never found the grounds anything but neat and tidy, the cottages are always immaculate, I love the kitchen the best in The Huron, but the porch is better on The Ibis. Don't come with theexpectation of staying more than a night or two in the Bungelow, it is sufficent for breakfast and lunch but plan to eat dinner out at one of the fabulous resturants near by. We found it to have plenty of space and very comfortable but it is advertised as a short visit accomadation and that is what it is.

Even though we only see them once a year we think of Mark and Kathy as friends and appreciate that Kathy e-mails us with last minute deals and vacancies. I will admit that from time to time I look at other places that are right on the beach but can't resist the lure of lower prices and a trulywonderful, comfortable place to stay. Sanibel is a special place and Periwinkle Cottage make it all feel like home!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Plomist