“Seashell Bonaza”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sanibel Island
Blue Dolphin Cottages
Plano, Texas
“Seashell Bonaza”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We choose the Blue Dolphin because of its location. We stayed in cottage #10 it was very roomy inside. Plenty of room in the kitchen to do some lite cooking,
Beth our Hostess while we were there was great, She put out coffee, fresh fruit & danish every morning. She was very friendly with all the guest. They had everything you needed to spend the day at the beach, buckets, nets, chairs, umbrellas . They even had a washer and dryer to do your laundry.We saw dolphins swimming in the water. The beaches were loaded with seashells. We found Conchs, welks , olives, tulips, turbans, buttons, nutmegs,paper figs, turkey wings,
The bed in the rooms were very comfortable . Tv, and wi-fi. I would highly recommend this place to stay if you thing about going to Sanibel Island.

Room Tip: Any room is great only steps to the beach. #7 & #6 Are closest to the beach, but you pay a littl...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cookie3009
Jerry S, Owner at Blue Dolphin Cottages, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
We are lucky you chose the Blue Dolphin and enjoyed our amenities. We do not provide the shells, they are for you to find! We look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I really cannot think of one negative thing to say about the Blue Dolphin. We literally just got back home today and I had to rave about this place!
Our stay here was part of my new hubby and I's honeymoon, and after a grueling 4 days in Disney World, we were ready for an escape! From the moment we pulled onto the property we were greeted with kindness and big smiles from the owners. We stayed in room #4 which was impecably clean and the perfect size with a good sized fridge and kitchen. They even had a bottle of champagne waiting for us! We walked around the beach for a while and we were instantly at ease and had found our paradise. There was hardly anyone on the beach. And talk about shells! The sunset was gorgeous and yes those pesky no-see-ums were biting but have no fear, The Blue Dolphin provides lots of bug spray, anti-itch cream, even sunscreen and aloe vera gel! The use of the beach chairs, beach umbrella, and bikes was a huge plus. The other guests staying there were all friendly and no one ever was too loud or woke us up. Beth (I think!) even printed out our boarding passes when we checked out! This place really knows how to provide service.
I have to say, I was so so glad that we didn't end up staying at some huge resort on the island. Even some of the other larger hotels/"cottages" we passed by didn't have the appeal The Blue Dolphin has. Word of advice: definitely rent a car while on the island. The Dolphin is pretty far away from the main road and it's a good bike ride to get anywhere. Seclusion, tranquility, romance, and pure paradise is The Blue Dolphin. If you're looking for an escape, you've found it! Thank you Blue Dolphin! We're already saving for our next trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie W
Jerry S, Owner at Blue Dolphin Cottages, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for the positive review. We welcome new guests and are glad you enjoyed your stay: your room and the amenities we offer. Again we would like to congratulate you and we are glad to be part of your wedding memories.
Indian River City
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have been visiting Sanibel for over 20 years and I have always wanted to stay on the west end of the island. After much research, I found the Blue Dolphin. They had good reviews on several different travel boards, so I thought I would give them a try.
I was able to make my reservations with Cindy and she was very helpful in finding me the perfect room for my extended weekend stay.
The grounds were very tropical and well kept. The muffins/fruit and coffee in the courtyard was a nice touch. I also enjoyed not having to bring my own beach chair or umbrella, as they are provided.
The location can't be beat. the west end of the island is very quiet and just what I was looking for.
The unit I stayed in (#9 - 1 bedroom) was very comfortable and clean. The bedding was new and very comfortable.

I am glad I was able to make reservations at Blue Dolphin and I will be returning next year.

Thank you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank PeriwinkleLady
Jerry S, Owner at Blue Dolphin Cottages, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for choosing The Blue Dolphin for your stay on Sanibel. We are pleased that you took advantage of our amenities and enjoyed them. We hope to see you in the future.
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 15, 2012

In my review last August I promised to return... and I'm very happy that I did. Our room (#4) was small but perfectly adequate; staff is unhesitatingly friendly and helpful (Beth Murphy should write a book on hospitality); owners don't rest on their laurels but instead keep to a steady schedule of updating, renovating, maintaining their lovely property; and, of course, the beach is divine.

And the other guests were, too. This is a place where, without round-the-clock management, guests must rely on the kindness and sense of responsibility of their fellow guests - to clean up after themselves in the shared areas, to be reasonably quiet in the early mornings and late evenings, to remember that the breakfast offerings, the umbrellas, the bikes, the towels are for ALL to share... and I must say that Blue Dolphin guests are a great bunch!

The only negative (which of course is no fault of the hotel) are the noseeums. If you are sensitive to their bites, as I am, they will probably be a source of consternation to you. I drenched myself in Off every single time I went outside, but to no avail... here I sit, having returned home 3 days ago, still itching like mad and needing benadryl to sleep. According to several web sites there is a repellant sold in sporting goods stores with a much higher DEET ratio; I'm definitely bringing that next time.

Thanks, Blue Dolphin, for another great trip. See you next year!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank EJMFL
Jerry S, Owner at Blue Dolphin Cottages, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
We are glad you enjoyed your stay. See you next year.
We are sorry to say we have no control over the insects on this Island, but we do keep bug spray in the laundry room for guests to use.
Houston
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Our first trip to Sanibel for a midsummer beach break July 12-16, 2012. Blue Dolphin is in an excellent location and exactly as advertised: clean, quiet, small (11 rooms) and right on the beach. No pool, no bar, no disco, no room service, but if you were looking for those things you probably wouldn't be looking at Sanibel. Hotel is in a residential area and beach access parking on Sanibel is restricted, so the beaches were beautiful, walkable and very uncrowded, with lots of shells. Small continental breakfast in the courtyard every morning, and beach chairs and umbrellas available to haul out onto the beach. Extremely peaceful and relaxing; we will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank HoustonTexatty
Jerry S, Owner at Blue Dolphin Cottages, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for selecting the Blue Dolphin for your vacation. We are glad that you enjoyed our amenities and our peaceful surroundings. We look forward to your return.
Paris, France
Reviewed July 15, 2012

actually one the best places we stay in the world. Even if it is not a huge luxury hotel. If you are looking for this type of hotel this in not the good place! Our cottage was the number 7 (not sure :-)) with a wonderful view on the beach. Welcome was great and location perfect for quiet. Cottages a well equiped and very clean. Nothing to add.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Traveler62France
Jerry S, Owner at Blue Dolphin Cottages, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank for your contribution to our reviews. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our little oasis and hope you will return for another visit with us.
Weston, Florida
Reviewed June 16, 2012

While not the responsibility of the management of the Blue Dolphin cottages, the Sanibel area has a problem with “noseeums” flea/mosquitos. Please do your own research and Google noseeums or sanibel noseeums. When we checked in we mentioned that this was our first time in Sanibel. Nothing was mentioned about the noseeums. No warning about what happens at dusk, on their property, with these creatures.
The day after my two night visit I developed welts with terrible 24 hour itches over most of my body with a visit to a Dermatologist necessary. It is a week later and I am still suffering. They don’t attack everyone; my wife was left completely alone. Here is what is amazing: I called the cottages and started to tell about my problem. The woman in the office interrupted me and said she knew it was the noseeums and how bad they are and what I should have done to prevent them. Yet the management doesn’t seem to think it’s important enough to give their guests any warning about the problem. If you go to these cottages be warned to prevent this terrible situation.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
16 Thank ear41
Jerry S, Owner at Blue Dolphin Cottages, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
We are sorry that you had a bad experience on Sanibel. Previous guests have commented on the pest problems and their reactions. We hope you enjoyed some of the amentities the Blue Dolphin offers.