We stayed here over the 4th of July holiday weekend. We were looking for a secluded, restful place to get away from it all, and the Blue Dolphin was absolutely perfect. We stayed in #4, which is a small efficiency with a view of the Gulf from the front patio and a small shared outdoor shower out back. The room was spare but very clean, and the small kitchenette included a set of dishes, cookware, and some utensils so we were able to make a few meals during our stay.
What we loved most about the Blue Dolphin: all cottages are only steps away from a gorgeous white sand beach covered with shells; other guests were mostly older, nice couples - in such a small, intimate place, the other guests felt like friends after just a day; the seclusion and quiet - we felt like it was our own private beach, even during the busy holiday weekend; free wi-fi internet (not that we used it much with the beach right there); free use of beach chairs, umbrellas, & bicycles; peaceful beach with a low surf, warm water, and shallow a long way out; access to a laundry room on site; landscaping made every cottage feel private; staff was very unobtrusive but kind and accommodating when needed; quiet reading and sleeping on the lanai next to the beach; and last but not least, the wildlife - we saw more cool animals on this property than we did at the wildlife preserve - we swam with wild dolphins every day of our stay, saw osprey catching fish in the surf, sea turtle nests, ibis, pelicans, crabs, tiny lizards, live shells, etc, it was a wonderful show every day! Several of our fellow guests were fishing in the surf daily and seemed to be happy with their catches, so this is probably also a good location for anglers.
Note: if you want a "resort" type atmosphere with a pool, kids splashing/screaming, and lots of activity, this is probably not the place for you. The Blue Dolphin is the kind of place one goes to get away from it all - peaceful, sedate, and relaxing! We are mid-30s with no kids, and the gestalt here was so utterly perfect for us that we didn't want to go home. We are already thinking about our next vacation at the Blue Dolphin!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A truly refreshing vacation awaits you at the Blue Dolphin Cottages. We are a family owned, intimate and charming motel situated directly on a tranquil, white sandy beach on the beautiful Gulf of Mexico. The Blue Dolphin Cottages offers a selection of accommodations in its 10 units, either bright and airy efficiencies or spacious one bedroom suites, all with completely equipped kitchens, phones and cable television. Each unit has a comfortable sun deck surrounded by lush tropical landscaping. With our compliments, you will enjoy a delicious continental breakfast every morning. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Blue Dolphin Cottages Hotel Sanibel Island
- Blue Dolphin Sanibel Island
- Blue Dolphin Hotel Sanibel Island