“2nd vacation @ Mitchell's + will return!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mitchell's Sandcastles

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sanibel Island
Mitchell's Sandcastles
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“2nd vacation @ Mitchell's + will return!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is our 2nd stay @ Mitchell's, and we plan to make it our annual vacation destination. The location is perfect. 5 (ish) minutes to Ding Darling, shopping + several restaurants. Bikes, beach furniture + kayaks are available free to guests. The pool is lovely and water was surprisingly warm and comfy for this wimp..lol..(late Oct.) The gulf water is always beautiful, and was pleasantly warm during this stay. We stayed in Gulf Front 3 our 1st visit, and we're in Gulf Front 2 currently. Both units are exactly as they appear on the website, as are the grounds. You'll find no surprises or disappointments. Everything is exactly as it appears in the website photos. We found both units to be very comfortable, cozy and well stocked with all the necessities to make you feel at home. Gulf Front 2 has really lovely ocean + sunset views right from the living room, kitchen + private patio deck. My grandchildren even told me when the dolphin were swimming by, so we could quickly run out to have a better look. GF 2 also has a wonderful (HUGE) seating/preparation counter, which is perfect for larger groups and/or families. 8 people can eat comfortably, which is shocking for a cottage setting! We love a laid back comfortable no pressure vacation, and Mitchell's Sand Castles was the perfect fit for us. Management + staff are pretty much invisible, but if you are in need of something, they will magically appear... They totally respect their guests privacy, which really makes it feel totally private, peaceful and serene. If you are looking for all I have described in a cottage type setting, then you need to look no further than Mitchell's. If you are looking for the equivalent of the Ritz, then your search (sadly) continues. Oh yeah, almost forgot, if you're a "shelling" aholic like me, you won't find better than this perfect mid island location..(I went to Blind Pass, Bowman's Bch & the Lighthouse, and it was a waste land compared to what was right under my nose.) I truly love this place, and God willing, it will be our annual vacation destination.

Room Tip: Gulf Front #2 has a lovely gulf + sunset view. Kitchen has a HUGE counter with 4 stools, plus a tabl...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
dc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Actually,I can't tell you how great Mitchell's Sandcastle and all of Sanibel Island really are........I don't want to ruin it for everyone! But I will tell you that Mitchell's was exactly what we needed for a couple of days of rest and relaxation. Like most places, it is all about expectations. If you are expecting 5 star accommodations with room service you will be disappointed. But if you want low key, friendly people, free bikes and kayaks, right on the beach with a view of the best sunsets every night, this is it! It is clean and comfortable, you get everything you need (kitchen, pots, pans, coffee maker!) and Joel (the owner) gives the best restaurant advice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jitsky
Clearwater, FLorida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Having spent many happy vacations on Sanibel in years past, I was excited to be able to return by myself (with my two dogs) and was thrilled to be able to find pet friendly accomodations. I chose Mtichell's based solely on Trip Advisor's reviews and I was not disappointed. The entire experience was better than I could have ever imagined! In the past, we had always stayed in the larger condominium complexes (along East Gulf Drive) and loved them but I was curious to see what the other end of Sanibel would be like. Mitchell's is on 6 acres surrounded by private homes on either side (all on a dead end street; West Gulf Drive for those of you familiar with Sanibel). Consequently, there was almost no one on the beach most of the time (except those of us staying at Mitchell's). As a single traveller, I chose Seagrape and was pleased with my accomodations. Seagrape is very small but perfect for one person. When I arrived I found it to be in perfect condition. The kitchen is tiny and sparsly furnished but has all the basics one needs to prepare a meal. The bathroom was beautiful (all updated fixtures) and it had a great shower. Small shampoos and soaps are provided and there are more than enough towels, washcloths, hand towels, and kitchen linens as well. The bed was very comfortable and the bed linens were top quality. The only suggestion I would make there would be to get rid of the polyester bedspreads and go with all cotton as they wash and wear better. The rest of the furniture was in fine condition and the unit had a flat screen television.I chose a unit with a screened in porch as this gave me an extension of my cabin and my dogs loved the extra space. It was also a great place to take off the sandy beach shoes and brush off sandy wet dogs, too. The porch also had a table and two chairs (as well as a ceiling fan) and I enjoyed sitting out there in the dark in the evenings listening to the ocean. Many of the units (mine included) look directly out on the water. Each unit also has its own charcoal grill right off the porch.

There is wireless internet all over the property and it works very well. The two pools are beautiful and I spent a good deal of time swimming and floating around in one of them talking with some nice people who came all the way from Canada! Pool towels are supplied but they ask that you leave them at the pool when you are done. There are ample hampers for the dirty towels. There are also tons of pool toys and noodles to play with in the pool area.

They will even furnish DOG TOWELS (the older more worn/stained towels) to clean your 4 legged friends after they go in the ocean. All you have to do is ask the lady at the laundry and she has them immediately available.That was so handy for me!

There are beautiful kayaks, bicycles, helmets, tennis stuff, beach chairs, umbrellas; all available free of charge. Ther are also two nice playground areas for little kids.

The best part was meeting so many nice people who all had their dogs with them. My dogs had a wonderful time not only on the beach but just exploring around and meeting the other dogs (and their owners). Sanibel is VERY strict about leashing and picking up after your dog, but that is easy to do because the complex has trash cans all over the place for the refuse.

I cannot wait to go back to Mitchell's again; maybe in the late spring. I am hoping to return with my kids and their families/significant others. Joel is extremely accomodating and will answer any and all questions you have about the different units on the property. They are all different and have slightly different ammenities. So, to be completely satisfied with your vacation at Mitchell's, make sure Joel has answered all your questions.

Along those same lines, the staff I met were all cheerful, friendly and so accomodating. Thanks to all.

Thanks, Joel, I really enjoyed myself and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The layouts (as well as the locations) of the different units vary a bit. Be specific in your needs...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank BETSRN
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at Mitchell's for 4 nights in September. We stayed in a studio cottage (The SeaGrape). The view was incredible. You could see the ocean right from our porch! It was just my husband and I and we loved how much space this place had. It was much bigger than staying in a hotel. Everything seemed clean. We were excited that this place has a little kitchen and went to the grocery store so we could cook a few meals there. Unfortunately, there were little bugs on the counter and in the cabinet where the dishes are and some had wandered into the cereal box we brought with us. We told the front desk and they did send someone out to spray raid to irradicate the problem. They did within a few minutes of our complaint, unfortunately, the bugs were still in the cabinet where the dishes were located. We did not end up cooking much because we were uncomfortable abut the bugs and didn't want to complain too much. I know that Sanibel is a very natural beach, so I assume it comes with the territory. Aside from that our cabin was adorable and clean and comfortable. I missed not having an iron and hair dryer in our room, but I get the idea that if I would have asked for one, one would have been provided. It was not a huge concern for me so I just lived without it for a few days. The air condition is VERY powerful which felt amazing when coming in form the hot, humid weather. The porch is so cute and if we had been here longer we would have taken advantage of it more. We had a bucket to rinse shells (and our feet) when we came back from the beach. The cottage next to us was being renovated and after the first day the construction guys had taken our hose to use for the renovation. It was an inconvience when cleaning off the shells, but not too much so because we ended up meeting some of the neighbors and using theirs. ( we knew we were staying offseason so we expected some renovations)

As far as outside, The pools were clean and so refreshing! We swam everyday and we're not big swimmers. They even had floats and "noodles" to swim with. And we were usually the only ones in the pool. (and even the farther of the pools was a short walk away, the online map makes it look farther) The beach is just steps away! There were only a handful of people on the beach at any given time and the shells are EVERYWHERE! I enjoyed seeing all of the different kinds of birds wandering on the beach and looking for shells. The ocean is a bit rough on the bottom due to the shells. I wore flipflops when going in and then it smoothed out a bit.

Mitchells overall was a nice place to stay. It has everything you need to stay here for a while and the staff members are very nice and responsive when asked for things. Beach chairs, umbrellas, kayaks, bikes, pool towels. The kitchen was effeciently equipted. It appeared , based on the people who were staying there, and the way things are equipted, that people who stay here stay a longer amount of time. I regret that we only stayed for a few days and would look forward to staying a longer amount of time in the future.

I would also love to bring our dogs! Quite a few people had their dogs. The shelling was great. And staying in a place so close to so many different forms of wildlife was amazing. We saw lizards, ospreys, a woodpecker in the tree outside our room, and all types of shore birds. We also saw a hoofprint on the beach the one morning and if we had more time, I would love to investigate at night how it got there.

We'd love to come back and would recommend this place to family and friends.

Room Tip: Seagrape is the the smallest room you can get and second closest to the beach!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Stephanie F
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was our first stay at Mitchell's but not the last. The cabin was spacious, very clean, quiet, and close to everything. We stayed in #7 9/22 to 9/29, and wish I was still there! The bed was very comfortable, everything we needed was there, and it was a very short walk to the beach. We had the dog with us. He had a ball. He is a wuss about the water, not interested, but is really excited about meeting new people. He is a con artist, and loved having all these new friends!

We had stayed at another dog friendly place previously, but much prefer Mitchell's. the cottage was twice the size, this ehnd of the island is so peaceful. Some mornings on my shelling walks I was the only person on the beach. Sunsets saw a few more, but still not crowded. Everyone was so friendly.

Someone had posted that they really wanted to visit here, but not if there were dogs. I would not recommend this place for folks who are afraid of dogs, or do not like them, not because the dogs were aggressive, but because most cabins seemed to have a dog or two. All the dogs we met were friendly, well behaved, and appropriately on leash. What a great vacation, and looking forward to visiting again soon.

Room Tip: Almost any room would be good, depending on what bed arrangements you want, view, etc. It is a real...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kris48
Auburn, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Due to my husband's business being closely tied to construction & the bad economy, we hadn't been to our favorite corner of the world (Mitchell's Sand Castles) since Sept of 2009 but we finally got a chance to go even if it was only for a weekend (9/14-9/17).

When we were there in 2009, we met Joel right before we left and he was about to take over and so excited about what he could do with the place. Believe me, he is a MAN OF HIS WORD!! He has done amazing things to improve Mitchells in the last 3 years!

Now remember, we have been coming for Sanibel and staying at Mitchells since 1983 (29 years) and loved it even though it was "old Florida" style but we're old fashioned kind of people so we discovered in '83 that Mitchells was the right place for us.

We were SO HAPPY to see that Joel had re-modeled all the cottages and made them so much more comfy than ever before. This shows me that he is there to stay and not abandon our "piece of heaven" on earth!

Everyone was so helpful; no problems at all! Oh we did have a cracked coffee pot, when we informed them, it was replaced with a BRAND NEW coffee maker!

Thank you Joel for making our "one & only vacation spot" even better than ever before!!

We'll see you next year; hopefully in September!
Janice & Mark Duncan
GA

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jduncan395
Vashon, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I have been visiting Sanibel at least annually since our honeymoon (in 1986!). We've stayed in many local hotels, and Mitchell's is our favorite. My husband is a fisherman and I'm a sheller, so we stop for groceries, unpack, and walk a few steps from our cottage door to the beach. Great location, great new owners, pet friendly place. Nice clean pool, with towels provided. Beach chairs and umbrellas available. The perfect place for a relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: They are all great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Beachview Cottages
Beachview Cottages
#3 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Mitchell's Sandcastles? Share your experiences!