“Signature donuts”

Bennett's Fresh Roast Sanibel Island
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Roasting coffee shop with from-scratch hand cut donuts, breakfast and lunch.
Reviewed May 4, 2014

The maple-bacon donuts were too good to describe! Like a good bite of pancake, bacon, maple syrup, and butter. A little decadent!

1  Thank Cseastham49

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

I was a huge fan of the Bennets restaurant located in downtown Fort Myers and had been a regular every time I could get down there. Unfortunately my visit to the Sanibel shop wasn't as pleasant. To start off I made my morning trip to the shop promptly at 6:05am, 5 minutes after the establishment opened. It really upsets me that it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to get a hot donut here. You would assume that since the restaurant opened at 6 you would at least be able to receive a lukewarm donut, right? Wrong. I went for the classic glazed and cinnamon sugar. The CS was just downright awful and tasted like grease.... The glazed was okay but certainly not up to my standards from the restaurant downtown. The girl who served me seemed to be in a quite melancholy mood as well. Maybe it was just the fact that it was so early? On the other hand, the coffee was phenomenal and if that's what you're looking for give the place a shot.
Due to the unfriendly service and the greasy, cold donut I won't be back. Such a shame because I was really looking forward to it ever since it was announced.

Bob G, Owner at Bennett's Fresh Roast Sanibel Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

We are always saddened when a customer isn't pleased with us. We sincerely hope that we get another chance to serve you and make things right. We're not sure what happened that day, but we'll take extra care to pay special attention to your comments about the quality of the donut and service you got. We work hard to make sure we're welcoming, mannerly and as attentive as possible in order to ensure that each and every person who walks in the door has a top notch customer experience. We're sorry that wasn't your experience. We do want to mention that hot or warm donuts just aren't our thing. Here's why. We hand cut each and every donut from our from-scratch signature dough that's "proofed" or raised 3 times. It's a lengthy process. Each batch takes about 90 minutes to make. If we used a mix to make your dough like many donut shops (including those "hot donut" kings at the Krispi chain) it's a great deal easier to serve 'em warm, especially when they're made my machine in a huge assembly line operation. Our donuts are old fashioned fresh made donuts that we think are delicious long after they cool down. In any case, we guarantee everyone's total satisfaction, of there's no charge. Please come back and give us another try.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Fresh pastries each morning. The donuts are very large and yummy! Soup and sandwiches for lunch are great.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We all tried the french press coffee cup. The coffee was great! The individual french press cup are an interesting piece of engineering. The donuts were tasty, including the maple bacon, glazed and heath donuts.

Our service was good. The staff kept the line moving the whole time we were there.

We will definitely be back!

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Nothing bad to day, only good stuff. Great coffee, and excellent donuts. Lots of people biking for morning coffee; I wish was staying closer. I really did love sitting outside; lovely plants. Peaceful start to the day. Just plain good stuff!