“What a lucky find! Quaint Florida Americana- secluded beach and home-like atmosphere”

Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages
Reviewed January 7, 2011

I f you are looking for a quiet place to get away from the crowds, this is it! The beach is beautiful and secluded. The owners of the property are on site to be helpful and friendly. Nothing fancy, but a bit of Florida Americana can be found at the Tropical Winds. No need to bring beach chairs or umbrella, they are graciously provided. I have never stayed in a cleaner place. It felt like home from the moment I arrived. I highly recommend this motel for people who enjoy the simple pleasures of life.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank bishopcatwoman
There are newer reviews for Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages

Reviewed November 30, 2010

Sanibel Island is a great place to view wildlife, especially birds, at the Ding Darling National Wild Life Refuge. It is also known for shell collecting. This motel is perfectly located for those activities. To access private beaches on Sanibel you need a neighborhood parking permit. Private beaches usually have better shell collecting.

The cottages were built in the late 40's to early 50's and provide a short walk ( make sure you cover the soles of your feet due to sand spurs) to the beach. We stayed in Unit 5, a one bedroom efficiency. The kitchen, bathroom and bedroom are very basic. The shower in the bathroom is exceptionally small. The kitchen is sparsely furnished and has very basic appliances i.e. two burner hot plate, small personal refrigerator, 4 cup coffee maker, etc. No daily maid service is provided. If you want clean linens you must place the used ones in a bin outside your door by 10 AM. The cottages have free Wi-Fi.

Most of the restaurants on Sanibel are either mediocre or very expensive. If you have a kitchen, even basic, you can make your own meals. Jerry's supermarket has a good deli and decent selection of food. Stop on the way in.

This is our third visit to Sanibel/Captiva. I would recommend this hotel to others based on the location and for the activities mentioned above.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2010

We enjoyed a long weekend getaway in Sanibel and were fortunate to stay in a charming cottage at the Tropical Winds. We walked on the beautiful, nearly private beach and picked up shells, shells, and more shells. The fully-equipped kitchen and outdoor grill allowed us to prepare meals and enjoy them at the table on our front porch. This place is a true delight...if you are heading to Sanibel stay here if you want something sweet and simple, but not to be forgotten. We are already planning our next trip back to Sanibel and will definitely be staying at the Tropical Winds again!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lagurl70
Reviewed October 12, 2010

This was the first trip to Sanibel Island for my husband and myself and this cottage was wonderful! The only regret we had is that we could only stay one night! The beach was beautiful and full of seashells! The room was clean, the kitchen was stocked and each "room" had it's own screened in porch. The manager met us at the cottages after hours and was friendly and very hospitible! We plan to go back for more than one night next year!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I had already scheduled my vacation time at work, but I didn't plan on going anywhere until the last minute. I changed my mind a week before and started looking for a place to stay. There were surprisingly plenty of places available (I guess because it was the middle of July), but I ended up picking an efficiency room at the Tropical Winds because it was affordable and they were literally the only place I could find that would let me bring my 80 pound yellow lab. After a 20 hour drive from Pittsburgh I arrived and was welcomed by the owner (I think). She was very friendly and didn't treat me like a weirdo for going on vacation by myself (which I was self conscious of since I hadn't done so before). She gave me my key, showed me my room, and I was good to go. After that I saw her around a few times but she basically left me to myself, which is just what I wanted. Even when my 1 year old dog started crying like a baby when I left my room to go to the beach, and the owner was outside and heard her, she told me it would be fine and not to worry about it. The room was very small, but it had 2 A/C window units, wi-fi, an HDTV, and an almost full kitchen. This was more then I expected given that I waited until the last minute and it was so affordable. Its a little out-dated, but when you're right next to that perfect beach it really doesn't matter. I stayed 6 days and spent almost every minute on the beach, so I really didn't care what the room looked like. If you are looking for a place to get away from everything and aren't looking to get pampered, this is your place. Being in a residential area, it was quiet and there were no people around. I was able to walk my dog on the surrounding roads and almost never saw a car drive past. For what I was looking for it was absolutely perfect, and I can't wait to go again. If I had to make a recommendation, the only possible thing I can think of would be to get a new bed since it wasn't very comfortable, but honestly I would've slept on the floor and still loved every minute. I hope it stays exactly the way it is.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank djs187213
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Do you want to go on a peaceful, relaxing trip......but don't want to leave your loving pet at home???? This is the place for you - Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages, in Sanibel, Florida is wonderful. Friendly staff, clean rooms, amazing screened-in porches, kitchen. and BBQ facilities to accommodate everyone! Best of all - NO NOISE OR DISTRACTIONS. The beach is only steps away and is basically private for those staying at the resort. Our 2 year old German Shepard had a wonderful time wading in the water, sitting amoung the shells, or just resting and taking it all in at the waters edge. After a leisurely dinner on the porch or table inside, collect your camera and head out to see some of the most amazing sunsets you will ever see and the stars, later in the evening is a MUST SEE. I highly recommend this quaint paradise hide-a-way - but book in advance. They were fully booked in August (off season and the slowest time of the year).
To our newly found family and friends at Tropical Winds, we hope to see you soon.
Thanks - "We're just a stones throw away in Pompano Beach"

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DeeDee0717
Reviewed August 14, 2010

We were made welcome and shown around on arrival.The motel was very clean and had everything we needed for 4 days.They even offered extra old blankets for our dog.Really nice place and I definitely would recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
#11 of 20 in Sanibel Island
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
#8 of 20 in Sanibel Island

Been to Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!