“The perfect rustic beach getaway”

Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages
Reviewed October 31, 2010

We enjoyed a long weekend getaway in Sanibel and were fortunate to stay in a charming cottage at the Tropical Winds. We walked on the beautiful, nearly private beach and picked up shells, shells, and more shells. The fully-equipped kitchen and outdoor grill allowed us to prepare meals and enjoy them at the table on our front porch. This place is a true delight...if you are heading to Sanibel stay here if you want something sweet and simple, but not to be forgotten. We are already planning our next trip back to Sanibel and will definitely be staying at the Tropical Winds again!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lagurl70

Reviewed October 12, 2010

This was the first trip to Sanibel Island for my husband and myself and this cottage was wonderful! The only regret we had is that we could only stay one night! The beach was beautiful and full of seashells! The room was clean, the kitchen was stocked and each "room" had it's own screened in porch. The manager met us at the cottages after hours and was friendly and very hospitible! We plan to go back for more than one night next year!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I had already scheduled my vacation time at work, but I didn't plan on going anywhere until the last minute. I changed my mind a week before and started looking for a place to stay. There were surprisingly plenty of places available (I guess because it was the middle of July), but I ended up picking an efficiency room at the Tropical Winds because it was affordable and they were literally the only place I could find that would let me bring my 80 pound yellow lab. After a 20 hour drive from Pittsburgh I arrived and was welcomed by the owner (I think). She was very friendly and didn't treat me like a weirdo for going on vacation by myself (which I was self conscious of since I hadn't done so before). She gave me my key, showed me my room, and I was good to go. After that I saw her around a few times but she basically left me to myself, which is just what I wanted. Even when my 1 year old dog started crying like a baby when I left my room to go to the beach, and the owner was outside and heard her, she told me it would be fine and not to worry about it. The room was very small, but it had 2 A/C window units, wi-fi, an HDTV, and an almost full kitchen. This was more then I expected given that I waited until the last minute and it was so affordable. Its a little out-dated, but when you're right next to that perfect beach it really doesn't matter. I stayed 6 days and spent almost every minute on the beach, so I really didn't care what the room looked like. If you are looking for a place to get away from everything and aren't looking to get pampered, this is your place. Being in a residential area, it was quiet and there were no people around. I was able to walk my dog on the surrounding roads and almost never saw a car drive past. For what I was looking for it was absolutely perfect, and I can't wait to go again. If I had to make a recommendation, the only possible thing I can think of would be to get a new bed since it wasn't very comfortable, but honestly I would've slept on the floor and still loved every minute. I hope it stays exactly the way it is.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank djs187213
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Do you want to go on a peaceful, relaxing trip......but don't want to leave your loving pet at home???? This is the place for you - Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages, in Sanibel, Florida is wonderful. Friendly staff, clean rooms, amazing screened-in porches, kitchen. and BBQ facilities to accommodate everyone! Best of all - NO NOISE OR DISTRACTIONS. The beach is only steps away and is basically private for those staying at the resort. Our 2 year old German Shepard had a wonderful time wading in the water, sitting amoung the shells, or just resting and taking it all in at the waters edge. After a leisurely dinner on the porch or table inside, collect your camera and head out to see some of the most amazing sunsets you will ever see and the stars, later in the evening is a MUST SEE. I highly recommend this quaint paradise hide-a-way - but book in advance. They were fully booked in August (off season and the slowest time of the year).
To our newly found family and friends at Tropical Winds, we hope to see you soon.
Thanks - "We're just a stones throw away in Pompano Beach"

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DeeDee0717
Reviewed August 14, 2010

We were made welcome and shown around on arrival.The motel was very clean and had everything we needed for 4 days.They even offered extra old blankets for our dog.Really nice place and I definitely would recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank djrwr
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We had to find a way to celebrate our daughter's sweet 16, and immediately thought of Tropical Winds. With our two dogs and 3 teens on board, we headed for this slice of paradise on Sanibel. We only had one night, and were happy that our cottages were ready early when we arrived. As ALWAYS, they were clean and lovely. We hit the beach in the afternoon for some shelling, and the dogs enjoyed the surf as much as we did. The girls came and went and we hadn't a worry, since the property is so safe and well managed. Back to the beach for a gorgeous sunset, and a relaxing evening. Morning gave us one more chance to enjoy the warm, sparkling Gulf waters. Am chomping at the bit to get back again before summer is out!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank shellgirl44
Reviewed July 11, 2010

The best part about your place is its location. We love that the beach is never crowded or loud and that it is always clean. The shell collecting is also the best. The room was clean and accommodated our family adequately. We appreciated the helpful staff who were always willing to bring us anything we requested (which was not much since the place is well appointed.)
We especially liked that we could bring our new dog so she would not have to sit home alone during our trip. She had a great time too!
We had a wonderful holiday stay and can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
#6 of 20 in Sanibel Island
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
#5 of 20 in Sanibel Island

Been to Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!