I had already scheduled my vacation time at work, but I didn't plan on going anywhere until the last minute. I changed my mind a week before and started looking for a place to stay. There were surprisingly plenty of places available (I guess because it was the middle of July), but I ended up picking an efficiency room at the Tropical Winds because it was affordable and they were literally the only place I could find that would let me bring my 80 pound yellow lab. After a 20 hour drive from Pittsburgh I arrived and was welcomed by the owner (I think). She was very friendly and didn't treat me like a weirdo for going on vacation by myself (which I was self conscious of since I hadn't done so before). She gave me my key, showed me my room, and I was good to go. After that I saw her around a few times but she basically left me to myself, which is just what I wanted. Even when my 1 year old dog started crying like a baby when I left my room to go to the beach, and the owner was outside and heard her, she told me it would be fine and not to worry about it. The room was very small, but it had 2 A/C window units, wi-fi, an HDTV, and an almost full kitchen. This was more then I expected given that I waited until the last minute and it was so affordable. Its a little out-dated, but when you're right next to that perfect beach it really doesn't matter. I stayed 6 days and spent almost every minute on the beach, so I really didn't care what the room looked like. If you are looking for a place to get away from everything and aren't looking to get pampered, this is your place. Being in a residential area, it was quiet and there were no people around. I was able to walk my dog on the surrounding roads and almost never saw a car drive past. For what I was looking for it was absolutely perfect, and I can't wait to go again. If I had to make a recommendation, the only possible thing I can think of would be to get a new bed since it wasn't very comfortable, but honestly I would've slept on the floor and still loved every minute. I hope it stays exactly the way it is.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come experience Sanibel with the charm of Old Style Florida! Located on the sparkling waters of the Gulf of Mexico, on the west end of the island, Tropical Winds is tucked away in a very secluded, private setting within a small residential neighborhood. Enjoy one of our beachfront or nearby cottages in our own tropical paradise! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tropical Winds Motel And Cottages
- Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages Hotel Sanibel Island
- Tropical Winds Hotel