“Just what I was looking for”

Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I had already scheduled my vacation time at work, but I didn't plan on going anywhere until the last minute. I changed my mind a week before and started looking for a place to stay. There were surprisingly plenty of places available (I guess because it was the middle of July), but I ended up picking an efficiency room at the Tropical Winds because it was affordable and they were literally the only place I could find that would let me bring my 80 pound yellow lab. After a 20 hour drive from Pittsburgh I arrived and was welcomed by the owner (I think). She was very friendly and didn't treat me like a weirdo for going on vacation by myself (which I was self conscious of since I hadn't done so before). She gave me my key, showed me my room, and I was good to go. After that I saw her around a few times but she basically left me to myself, which is just what I wanted. Even when my 1 year old dog started crying like a baby when I left my room to go to the beach, and the owner was outside and heard her, she told me it would be fine and not to worry about it. The room was very small, but it had 2 A/C window units, wi-fi, an HDTV, and an almost full kitchen. This was more then I expected given that I waited until the last minute and it was so affordable. Its a little out-dated, but when you're right next to that perfect beach it really doesn't matter. I stayed 6 days and spent almost every minute on the beach, so I really didn't care what the room looked like. If you are looking for a place to get away from everything and aren't looking to get pampered, this is your place. Being in a residential area, it was quiet and there were no people around. I was able to walk my dog on the surrounding roads and almost never saw a car drive past. For what I was looking for it was absolutely perfect, and I can't wait to go again. If I had to make a recommendation, the only possible thing I can think of would be to get a new bed since it wasn't very comfortable, but honestly I would've slept on the floor and still loved every minute. I hope it stays exactly the way it is.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank djs187213
There are newer reviews for Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages

Reviewed August 24, 2010

Do you want to go on a peaceful, relaxing trip......but don't want to leave your loving pet at home???? This is the place for you - Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages, in Sanibel, Florida is wonderful. Friendly staff, clean rooms, amazing screened-in porches, kitchen. and BBQ facilities to accommodate everyone! Best of all - NO NOISE OR DISTRACTIONS. The beach is only steps away and is basically private for those staying at the resort. Our 2 year old German Shepard had a wonderful time wading in the water, sitting amoung the shells, or just resting and taking it all in at the waters edge. After a leisurely dinner on the porch or table inside, collect your camera and head out to see some of the most amazing sunsets you will ever see and the stars, later in the evening is a MUST SEE. I highly recommend this quaint paradise hide-a-way - but book in advance. They were fully booked in August (off season and the slowest time of the year).
To our newly found family and friends at Tropical Winds, we hope to see you soon.
Thanks - "We're just a stones throw away in Pompano Beach"

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DeeDee0717
Reviewed August 14, 2010

We were made welcome and shown around on arrival.The motel was very clean and had everything we needed for 4 days.They even offered extra old blankets for our dog.Really nice place and I definitely would recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank djrwr
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We had to find a way to celebrate our daughter's sweet 16, and immediately thought of Tropical Winds. With our two dogs and 3 teens on board, we headed for this slice of paradise on Sanibel. We only had one night, and were happy that our cottages were ready early when we arrived. As ALWAYS, they were clean and lovely. We hit the beach in the afternoon for some shelling, and the dogs enjoyed the surf as much as we did. The girls came and went and we hadn't a worry, since the property is so safe and well managed. Back to the beach for a gorgeous sunset, and a relaxing evening. Morning gave us one more chance to enjoy the warm, sparkling Gulf waters. Am chomping at the bit to get back again before summer is out!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank shellgirl44
Reviewed July 11, 2010

The best part about your place is its location. We love that the beach is never crowded or loud and that it is always clean. The shell collecting is also the best. The room was clean and accommodated our family adequately. We appreciated the helpful staff who were always willing to bring us anything we requested (which was not much since the place is well appointed.)
We especially liked that we could bring our new dog so she would not have to sit home alone during our trip. She had a great time too!
We had a wonderful holiday stay and can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank 5jlhall
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We selected Tropical Winds because we wanted to take our dog. He was made so welcome, given his own towels, and was delighted by the close proximity to water. Accomodation a little dated, but all we needed and spotlessly clean.
The location is fantastic, a quiet haven, but close enough to amenities and restaurants if required. It was too hot to do anything but relax and swim.
We will certainly go back at the earliest opportunity.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JRD60
Reviewed June 17, 2010

If you are looking for a place to get away from it all, this is the place. We have stayed twice, once in one of the beach front rooms and this last time in cottage #3, we found the cottage larger and very private. This hotel is in a residental area, no high rise hotels and depending on what time of year, very few residents, very secluded. The hotel is very clean and the staff is wonderful! The beach is just steps away. This is not a luxury hotel, this is a beach hotel, we love it and we also get to take our pets along.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
#11 of 20 in Sanibel Island
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
#8 of 20 in Sanibel Island

Been to Tropical Winds Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!