“Good Location”

Anchor Inn & Cottages
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We stayed here in May and had a really nice time. Some of the tenants were a little noisy by the pool and the curtains could be a little better to block out the light. Otherwise it was a good price for the location. Road bikes to the beach not too far away. It wasn't fancy but it was a nice little island getaway.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Anchor Inn & Cottages

Reviewed September 15, 2011

My wife and I, we are "seasoned citizens", spent a couple of days, Sep. 7 & 8 in Sanibel on a mini vacation. I found the Anchor Inn on this website and decided to check it out when we got there. On the way into Sanibel we stopped by the Chamber of Commerce and ask about hotels and the very nice lady gave me all the "specials" for that week. There were several at $99.00 a night and the Anchor at $69.50 a night. We went by the Anchor and decided to stay there. It's a very small complex and old. It does have a pool, tv, internet, and NO phone. The room was clean and a nice size. However, the bathroom is VERY VERY small. I used the windowsill in the bathroom for my shaving gear etc. Would I stay here again? Yes. We planned this trip so we would not be there during the high season. Be prepared to spend some bucks! Eats and treats are expensive!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lakesidegent
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Room was very clean and of nice size. Two queen beds and small kitchenette. Central location on island. Overall very nice affordable, bit rustic with island feel, great covered seating area in front of rooms. Will return for next vacation.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We were in Sanibel/Captiva for 2 days of a 12 day south Florida journey. Part of the charm of this property is a given...it is on Sanibel...can you go wrong here? This little inn was charming. It is part of the reason I suppose people go to Sanibel which is to escape the large hotel chains and mass crowds. Our room on the end was really a 1 bedroom apartment. Very cute, nicely decorated, certainly had that Florida feel and the kitchen with supplies was nice and practical. Instead of eating out for breakfast, lunch and dinner we bought groceries down the street from the only "big" store in town and cooked a few nice meals. While cooking on vacation is not our first choice we were on a tighter budget than we liked and after a hard day shelling at the beach we just wanted to kick back in the room and relax a bit. The onsite washer and dryer was handy. The pool was very clean and enjoyable. Overall we enjoyed our stay and I would highly recommend you check it out.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We read the reviews before booking this hotel so we really did not have any surprises EXCEPT that the shower was too small for regular size adults. Actually, the bathroom in general was too small even though it was just my boyfriend and I. There was limited space to use on the sink counter, so we had to place some toiletries on the small bathroom window windowsill. The plastic shower curtain needed a good scrubbing or just thrown out and replaced. The bathroom in general needed a good cleaning, having noticed visible dirt on the floor and marks on the walls. We stayed in the one bedroom/1 bath style rooms. A few positive notes: The staff was friendly upon checking in and leaving, the room itself was decent size, and the bed was comfortable. The location of the hotel was also convenient to everything on the island, though situated next door to a late night bar. We did not have a problem with the noise from next door because we are heavy sleepers, but we were not there on a Saturday night either. On a different note, we were a little confused on why there was an envelope in the room for tips to leave for the housekeeping even though the front desk let you know up front that there was no regular housekeeping?! Overall, a cute place to stay for a one time deal, but we are returning to Sanibel in Aug. and decided not to return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TTS3
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I stayed at the Anchor Inn & Cottages with my boyfriend. It was our first trip together and we both LOVED staying in the cottage. It was adorable. We cooked in the little kitchen together and were so happily surprised at how many thoughtful touches were included, like mixing bowls and a cutting board. The cottage itself was completely charming, as was the little swimming pool. The staff was there when we needed them, but otherwise low key. We fell madly in love with Sanibel and will definitely be coming back many times. The Anchor Inn will always be a very special place for us.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband and I took a trip to Sanibel Island, FL for our anniversary and we stayed at the Anchor Inn. To begin with, their website for the Anchor Inn is incredibly decieving. When we finally got there, we found that the pictures on their website are very decieving. It looks like there are numerous rooms and multiple, very spacious, A-frame cottages like the one we stayed in, and a huge pool. As it turns out, there are only 3 A-frame cottages that were very tiny, maybe 10 other rooms, and the so called huge pool might have been about 10 ft long and 5 ft wide. It says that the closest beach is a 1/2 mile walk, this is not true, the closest beach is a 2 mile car drive, we clocked it. We barely got there with enough time to check in, because the place closes at 9pm which we were not told. So we got checked in and settled, the whole place seemed to have a dingy aura about it. I went into the bathroom only to find hair in the shower stall and on the towels. When I went to have a meal, on their plates and in their cups, I found what I thought to be dirt, but who knows what it actually was. When my husband and I went to bed, we found small bugs in the bed with us, possibly bed bugs, I'm not sure exactly. I happened to be looking up at the ceiling at some point, only to see a giant lizard climbing down the wall toward me, and the next morning I awoke to find a giant roach laying in the middle of the floor. I then got cleaned up and headed to go get my money back for it being so nasty. I was met by the owner, a very rude woman, by the way, and I told her everything I have listed above and she says "well it miust not have been that bad, you didn't complain last ngiht". I told her that I didn't complain the night before because she had already closed for the night. She then wants to come inspect the cottage "to see proof of my accusations", as she said. I had to get in the shower that morning, obviously, so the hair in the shower was gone. The hair on the towels was still there, the dirt on the plates was still there, but nothing was said, she then wants me to show her the bugs. Now come on people, I can't control where the bugs go, but I did kill the roach and show it to her, to which she responded, "this can't be true, we spray for bugs". Well apparently they need a different spray! All in all, the owner basically calls me a liar to my face and then refuses to give me my money back. She was extremely rude and obnoxious. So we had to stay in this NASTY hotel for the rest of the time we were booked. My husband and I didn't have a lot of money to spend, but wanted to go somewhere for our anniversary, so we couldn't just pack up and lose the money. I went out and bought cleaning supplies and cleaned the place from top to bottom just so we could stay there with some degree of cleanliness. Now I don't expect hotels to be perfect, I know things happen, but I DO expect it to be decently clean or I'm not paying for it. My advice to anyone planning on staying at the Anchor Inn on Sanibel Island, FL is to stay away from this place if you want a clean place to sleep, NASTY, NASTY, NASTY!!!! WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN!!! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple