“C-06 was great! Reasonable and walk-able to beach.”
Review of Colony Inn

Colony Inn
Dunedin, Florida
“C-06 was great! Reasonable and walk-able to beach.”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have walked by the Colony 'pink shell' many times during visits to Sanibel and thought it looked like a cute 'old Florida' property. Typically I stay at long term rental homes during peak tourist season, this visit to Sanibel was just for 1 night in mid-October and the Colony immediately came to mind. I looked at the rooms online and decided to try room C-06. I love that they have several photos of each room so you can check out the bed(s), décor, and furniture (note: they vary a lot - perhaps they are individually owned?)

We were very happy with C-06! 1 bedroom with a king size bed, a living room area with a sofa bed, 2 chairs, a small dining table with chairs, a screened outdoor patio, bathroom, and a small kitchen with everything you need to make simple meals. The kitchen and bathroom looked modern (recently renovated I believe) and the room was nicely decorated with comfort in mind (none of the 'bamboo with outdoor cushion' super uncomfortable furniture - hurray!)

The property is well maintained and has a nice size pool and pool area. It's not on the beach but close enough to walk to the beach - 60 steps from the right side of the parking lot to the path to the beach and then a few minutes on the sandy path to the water. The room was reasonable compared to other lodging options (chain and boutique hotels, condos, etc.), quiet (off the very traffic-y 'strip' - Periwinkle), and walk-able distance to the beach. The small kitchen is great for preparing breakfast/lunch - you will save money on meals and be thankful for some decent food (note: there are a lot of mediocre over-priced restaurants on Sanibel/Captiva!)

Room Tip: Definitely look at the photos for rooms. C-06 was modern and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank M H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
stewwwie1
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed in room C-20. For someone like myself who likes short weekend trips I have stayed in much better places. if I had paid the in season rate I would be demanding a refund. The place is old and it shows. No one seems to care about the grounds and they really should. I went to the pool and it was filled with worms and other assorted debris. I cleaned what I could using their skimmer but there wasn;t much I could do. The walls, and doors leading to the rooms could use a huge cleaning and painting. M room was clean and comfortable. Since I do not cook much at home the tiny kitchen served its purpose. A refrigerator for the water, soda and beer was enough for me. The living room vertical was missing half of its slats, the cushions could use to be replaced. the towels provided were great for exfoliating your skin. Thankfully I brought my own. The wi fi was great. The tiny TV in the bedroom sucked. I have a twenty six inch computer monitor and two fifty+" TVs at home so a thirteen inch in the bedroom, give me a break LOL The bed was comfy, but the shutters in the bedroom let in way to much light. Weird that you walk into the bedroom from outside. Staff in office very nice and helpful. It was an experience.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else if you need a nice room. If you are a frequent traveler this place won't do.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stewwwie1
Surrey
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Great location, Less than 5 minutes from beach. Low level condo blocks (2 floors) rather old but reasonably maintained. Disappointed with our apartment. (C19) All apartments are privately owned so highly recommend you check out all the photos/reviews for each one. Large bedroom and lounge but tiny tiny kitchen area. Microwave on top of the fridge! not very well stocked with equipment. Wifi wasn't working, told by reception staff that not good signals in apartments! good job we were able to sort out the router as we didn't get much help from the reception staff.In fact they weren't forthcoming with any information so we didn't get any clean towels during our 4 ngiht stay. The lounge/balcony overlooked the garden but the view was restricted by all the tropical plants and trees that came right up to the balcony screens. Pool was small and the sundeck above had no shade.
On the plus side - Sanibel is a lovely relaxing place to stay. the beaches are great and plenty to see and do. Great sunsets. Even though the accommodation was disappointing the location was not.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Susan H
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed at the Colony Resort on our recent vacation to Sanibel (7/26-7/30). We had the one bedroom which worked out for our family of 4. There is a separate bedroom, living space, kitchen and bathroom. My only recommendation is to switch the layout of the bedroom and living space but that's my view. The bedroom is right when you walk in from the parking lot. So if your kids are napping/sleeping, it is hard going in and out of the room w/o making lots of noise. The kitchen was stocked with all the cups, plates, cooking supplies you will need. The oven and stove top works as well. The outside pool was on the small size and depth was from 3ft to almost 6ft. Since this is not a hotel, they don't provide daily housekeeping (but they do have daily bath towel replacements).

This resort is not beach front but easy 10-15 mins walk to the beach which wasn't too bad even for my 2 girls (aged 4 & 3). A BIG plus was that our room had beach chairs, 2 beach umbrellas and a cart to lug all these to the beach. Very helpful with 2 toddlers and we took it to all the beaches we visited.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank leekh9
naples, Florida
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed at the colony for two nights with our two year old. The property is older but overall well maintained. We got a summer rate which was fine but i would have been slightly disappointed if i needed to pay full price for an older property. We liked the space of having the living area with a small child. The unit had all that we would need for a short stay. We were advised that there would be daily towel service but we did not receive any new towels during our stay despite following the instructions to leave the used towels in the hamper outside our door. This was slightly disappointing. Location to beach was good. A short walk but bring your own beach towels as they are not provided to you. There were two beach chairs in our unit. There is a good ice cream place that you can walk to while everything else is just a short drive into town. I would recommend for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank shopperqueen
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I will start with it's not on the beach and the photos seem to have been from before the condo between it and the beach were built.
The room I had was nice, clean two TV's plenty of stuff in the kitchen to cook and store provisions for a week. Beach chairs a cooler a shovel and brella were provided for beach day.
My sister had a room with one tv and a struggling air conditioner.
We needed a lower floor and they couldn't accommodate us. My sister was really having a hard time by day 2 going up to the room.
Pool area was nice but too small when you got several folks in it.
Would I stay again? Probably not. There tons of places on Sanible for rent. Keep looking

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank crapsshooter
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed in Unit C46, which doesn't have any WIFI. Very disappointed about this. Also, we were a party of four and the sofa sleeper was broken! It's on a quiet street, but not directly on the beach, which I had hoped for. The room was clean and towels changed every day. We won't be staying at this resort again.

Room Tip: Do not rent Unit C46. It has no WIFI!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family