“Poorly managed and badly in need of a facelift.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sanibel Island
Caribe Beach Resort
Reviewed January 29, 2011

First, the positives: Quiet. Clean, well-maintained grounds, friendly maintenance staff, good location on West Gulf Drive. Pet-friendly. Now for the negatives: We arrived to discover the specific ground-floor room we were promised (in writing) was occupied and unavailable, though no one had warned us. The property manager agreed to our request for a 15% discount for the inconvenience. I guess the room key says it all about the need for updates on this property: when was the last time you stayed at a hotel that gave you a metal key attached to one of those brightly colored plastic fobs with the "drop in any mailbox" instructions? The room number had long ago worn off the fob, and had been retraced with white-out. Other issues: Exterior door louvers that were inoperable, ants in the kitchenette (friendly maintenance staff did lend us a can of ant and roach killer, but it didn't get rid of them), an unsupportive mattress on the Murphy Bed, a policy that directs guests to exchange dirty towels for clean ones but ONLY ON WEDNESDAY MORNING and ONLY FROM 9:00 till 10:00!!! Any other time, and guests are just plain out of luck. And one final item you may find interesting. Internet access was cut off at 12:00 AM the day of our departure, even though checkout was ten hours later. And, Surprise!, when we logged on to our home page later in the day, hundreds of miles from the Caribe, guess whose log-in screen appeared? Yes! The Caribe's! And it won't go away.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BillyBatson

Reviewed May 29, 2009

I've been coming to the caribe since I was young, probably 5 or 6 and I am now 26 and I still come every summer with my family. Between me, my mom and my grandmother, we have 3 time shares there and it is so nice and memorable because all of the family can get together. I actually got engaged at the Caribe. I am now a mother of two and I am so glad that I am able to share the memories with my children. The accomodations are amazing, the beach is wonderful, staff is great and everything is so close and convenient. I would reccomend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank munkypie17
Reviewed November 24, 2008

The Caribe is a timeshare resort, but when you visit you aren't slapped with one of those annoying sales-pitches. The resort is older and in severe need of updates. The refrigerator, dishwasher, wallpaper, and the entire bathroom should be removed and replaced with something more modern. Even with these problems, however, our stay was fantastic. Our room on the 2nd floor of building A had a beautiful Gulf View. The wind in the palm trees was relaxing, and the pool was refreshing. What really made this place great was the people. The employees have got to be some of the best in the business. Moreover, the other vacationers made this time so enjoyable. We were traveling with a 9 month old who was the star of the resort. Everyone remembered his name and asked about him. I had never slept on a Murphy Bed before and was expecting something akin to a pullout sofa. The bed was actually rather nice and the pillows were comfortable. A flat screen tv was a nice touch to the room as well. The resort is located, in my opinion, near the best spot on the whole island for shelling (the Tarpon Bay beach access area--from the resort, go to the beach and turn left...it's about a five minute walk to a fabulous tidal pool filled with sea life and shells). Although four adults could sleep in the room, I wouldn'd recommend it. Two adults, and at the most two small children, would maximize the room's occupancy. We didn't really spend too much time in the room, so it's small size didn't really bother us. Be sure to check out the Ding Darling Wildlife Refugee on the island and cruise on up to Captiva to eat at the Mucky Duck or the Bubble Room.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank wvfamily2005
Reviewed September 19, 2008

We had the most delightful time.I brought home tons of wonderful shells;the beach was devine!!!I spent hours on the beach.My husband joined me on the beach for the early couple of hours and all the susets;he was amazed at the South Seas feel of sitting on our balcony and viewing the waves through the huge palms.
Being an avid gardener myself,I appreciated sooo much the landscaping.Everything was perfection with flowers and fragrances at every turn.I even picked up some of the lovely little cones from the very tall,unique trees that I had not seen before.The cones are tiny and will be this years additions to hand made Christmas ornaments.The needles are so beautiful and unique,I would love to have live branches;I have never seen them duplicated by the silk flower industry.
And then there's the staff;great folks;especially Blake in housekeeping;she's a real asset to Caribe;be sure to ask her for shelling tips(when she's not too busy of coarse).
So clean,quiet,and perfect..highly recommended.
I want to go back right now....ERM Apison,Tn

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 7, 2008

We exchanged through RCI originally for Siesta Key - decided to go to Caribe Beach Resort instead partially because they are "pet friendly" - we absolutely made the right decision ! This is a small quaint quiet clean resort - we were lucky to get the "Outrigger" 1 bdrm unit - more than likely on cancellation due to unknown track of Hurricane Gustav - we watched the forecast carefully and it worked out SO well as we could not have had more perfect weather and awesome shelling due to some previous storm bands that had come through the area with the previous storm Fay....the managers at this resort do an awesome job keeping it in top condition - even though the units are somewhat "dated" they are well stocked and very very clean - only negative was the "no see ums" these unseen pests bite so we will be looking into a good repellant for when we return - and we WILL return !! Our main focus was doing NOTHING
and this is the perfect place to enjoy doing just that - lots of good restaurants abound although we chose to eat at home except for one night at Jacquaranda for Happy Hour which was AWESOME as well... ! Can't wait to go back to this relaxing atmosphere - missing morning shelling already !

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jmcdmtglady
Reviewed August 11, 2008

We've been staying at Caribe for about twelve years, off an on, as a timeshare property. It hasn't changed at all in those years, except perhaps a few new pieces of furniture and an update to the tv technology.

The resort is very quiet, with shuffleboard and horseshoes available, and what looks to be a bocce pit (but no bocce balls on site), only a few steps to the gulf. The shelling, of course, is second only to Captiva island, a quick drive of fewer than 10 miles. The pool (like most Floridian pools) is a little salty (not on purpose) and incredibly warm (around 87 degrees). We saw very few children, but it's definitely child-friendly.

The staff is incredibly nice and helpful, and check-in was quick and easy. Everything worked well. The room was clean, but it would have been nice if the front door was glassed in, rather than a screen and wood slats (they weren't quite tight-fitting enough to keep out no-see-ums). The kitchen is stocked with all of the basic tools, but no food items (obviously) so plan to bring everything from oil to condiments to meat and veggies. There are grills for public use, too. The room was a standard efficency, big enough for two, sleeps four, but really four people are a bit much for that room.

If you plan to grocery shop, go to the off-island Publix rather than shop on the island, to save money. Bailey's and Jerry's are about the same as far as prices, depending on the item, but Bailey's is a locally-owned store while Jerry's is a small chain (but a huge store) and has a wider variety of offerings.

All in all, nothing special, but not lacking anything either.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank katbriil
Reviewed July 19, 2008

Don't get me wrong, we had a great time! Beachside, nice pool, pet friendly, and quiet the place was great. My only complaint was that the website photos are intentionally decieving. The one room photo they have is most likely of there largest cottage and the efficiency floor plan is not accurate either. There were no actual online photos or floor plans of the rooms available here. The rooms were smaller and more cramped than expected and the beds were wall fold out beds but again......we had a great time and no other issues. My wife fell off her bike by sliding on the gravel parking lot but that was her fault! :) I told her not to turn too sharply......

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple