“Sanibel's Best Kept Secret!”

Blind Pass Condominiums
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My family has been coming to Sanibel since the 70s, and to Blind Pass in particular since the early 90s. Blind Pass offers the best of seclusion with access to resort like amenities (pool, tennis courts, lagoon for canoeing and kayaking, private beach) right on the grounds. The management seems to have changed hands quite a bit lately but they seem to be doing an adequate job of maintaining the level of service we've come to expect (although, they no longer recognize us by name). Blind Pass has been the setting of some of our best family memories and we will be coming back for years to come.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank GlobeTroTD

Reviewed February 22, 2012

blind pass condos are great. the beach is really nice, you can see the sunset, nice pool and free kyaking. the only problem is that its kind of far away from perriwinkle way which is where all the shops are.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank bigmags226
Reviewed January 11, 2012

My family has been to Sanibel numerous times but we never made it to the Bowman’s Beach area. So, for the week between Christmas and New Year’s Eve 2011, we booked a stay at Blind Pass Condominiums. From the reviews I’d read, I had a hunch we would appreciate its quiet, uncongested location. Plus, the free use of kayaks and canoes at the complex seemed like a nice bonus!

One of the first things we noticed was that the grounds are meticulously maintained. Our townhouse unit had been newly renovated and was lovely. But the best feature, hands-down, was the beautiful beach and the fact that there are NO CONDO COMPLEXES as far as the eye can see in either direction! And I didn’t think the beaches on Sanibel could get any better!

I was concerned about the walk from the complex to the beach but it only takes a few minutes if you don’t stop to admire the wildlife you’ll encounter as you cross the little bridge over the bayou. On our visit, we saw great blue heron, white ibis, snowy egret, flying mullet and other species each and every time we crossed the bayou…what a treat! We lingered many times on that bridge, pulling out our binoculars or taking pictures or just enjoying the show.

We did take advantage of the free kayaks twice during our stay, which I highly recommend doing. If you have the stamina, paddle all the way to the end of Clam Bayou (about 45 mins), pull the kayak up on shore and you’ll arrive at a remote stretch of beach where the shelling is great. And don’t forget to pack your binoculars if you go, there is so much to see including osprey in their nests high in the treetops.

My husband and son rode bikes every day…sometimes to the tip of Captiva and other times into Sanibel…it’s the same distance to either. They especially enjoyed having close-up views of the multi-million dollar homes on either side of the road heading toward Captiva.
We enjoyed meals at Sweet Melissa’s, The Bubble Room, Island Pizza and Cheeburger Cheeburger, as well as ice cream at Pinocchio’s.

We will be back to Sanibel Island and, from now on, we’ll probably stay at Blind Pass…truly a “hidden gem” as others have said. The location is perfect—midway between Sanibel and Captiva—where the only “neighbors” are the wildlife living in the protected refuge areas surrounding the complex.

Room Tip: Building G is the closest to the beach and tennis. Other buildings are closer to the pool. Check com...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
13  Thank reginarose
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Two and three br condos, all privately owned, about $1000-1250/week at Thanksgiving. Two or three levels. No elevators. Spacious units, fully furnished. A/C cranks seamlessly all day. Well insulated, as I couldn't hear any other guests next door.
50 yard walk to a nice sized swimming pool. 200-300 yards to the beach. Tennis courts, kayak rentals.
Typical guests include little kids, yet this whole area is quiet!

Each unit's decor varies, of course, as they are all owned by different people. Beds in my unit were fine.

I have nothing bad to say about this place! Maybe too hot during the day and too cool in the evening....hah!

Room Tip: Ask the agents here for any advise. G units are closest to the ocean and tennis. All of the othe...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank NYBob6
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This place almost ruined our vacation. We found it on another trip out to Bowman Beach and thought that was where we would want a condo if we ever had one.You mess around on the beach until you are coated with salt and sand and pretty well scorched and exhausted and your shell bag weighs thirty pounds. Then you start thinking that in ten minutes you could be back home on the couch in your living room, sucking down a beer or a margarita, with an old movie on the telly, all showered and clean. So why hang around on the beach? You can sleep until sundown. Then you can wander back out to the private bridge and watch the sun go down over the ocean (be ready for bugs). I never thought I would ever change my attitude about the beach, but the truth is it got to be like this substitute patio, where we would run out for a couple of hours and snorkel until we were beat, then walk back into the house and recover. The only bad experience we had, if you can call it bad, was this annoying woman from Connecticut and her kid that asked to look at our shells and then made remarks about how they guessed we didn't go out at the right time of day. Next time I'm taking a conch shell from Key West to keep in my shell bag for protection.
There were clues right from the start. My wife reacts to cigarette smoke. I realized after I made the reservation that I forgot to check on smoking. When I went back and looked at it, sure enough, it looked like a smoking unit. I know how well changing things like that goes, but there wasn't much I could do except call Amber again and give it a try. I was sort of surprised that she even agreed to check and call me in an hour, and she seemed very nice, but I was thinking "Yeah, right, I know how this works." So I was blown away when she called back ten minutes later, just as nice as before, to tell me she had changed our reservation to non-smoking. The way they work it in their listing is a little misleading, so pay attention to avoid annoying surprises, but there were certainly no issues with fixing the problem.
The complex is about eighties vintage I would say, mostly two floors, kind of boxy and a little worn around the edges. Our unit had mirror tiles on one wall in the living room starting to streak, but, honestly, it's like walking into your own house, everything from tootpicks to lounge chairs. Cabinets full of dishes and utensils right down to margarita glasses, closets full of beach toys, plenty of furniture, beds, and space, reasonably clean and nicely decorated with the shell beach theme. We also liked the design with a bathroom and bedroom on each side.
The mowing and trimming around the patio door during the day got a tad annoying, but they have to trim sometime, and the landscaping was very attractive. Other than that, we never crossed paths with anybody working for Blind Pass unless we needed something, and we never had to ask twice. The only maintenance issues were a nonfunctional lock on the back door and a lamp with a mind of its own. We were on the north side, and we would have liked a more direct walkway to the beach down the center of the complex, so we wouldn't have to meander around so much, but one person's direct path is another person's inconvenience I guess. The tennis court kind of blocked the options, although neither the court nor the pool were ever heavily used while we were there, and the court isn't lighted, so there's never an issue at night.
Blind Pass is about as isolated as you will get on Sanibel, but nothing is very far away, what there is of it. The Island Cow is a little overrated and over-crowded for a hot place with marginal attractions. The guy playing Jimmy Buffet stuff could have been pretty good, but we couldn't even begin to hear the music, so we put in a take-out order and went home with it. We biked through the wildlife preserve and rented a canoe, which we managed to tip over in the mangrove loop by leaning to the same side under a branch. Compared to our little Mad River molded canoe with rolled sides and low thwarts, the Old Town touring canoes with high, square sides just aren't very stable or forgiving if you get your weight off center. We should have taken a kayak. That was a rude lesson and could have been a disaster if the iphone hadn't been tied up in a plastic bag. My wife was terrified that we would be eaten by alligators. Fortunately alligators hardly ever hang around in salt water, although I gather they can for a while if they have to.
The condos have covered parking, and we hardly even needed our car, but the closest place to buy anything is a pretty good hike, so plan to either arrive with food supplies or make trips out. One little mystery about parking is why some of the walkways end in the middle of a parking space instead of having a passage to the driveway. From there you have to walk a long way out of the way, walk through the foliage, or squeeze between the cars with your luggage, which probably doesn't thrill the people parked there. There was no shortage of parking, although they don't have space for trailers.
I want to cry when I read reviews by people who had their trip or their wedding party ruined by rowdy crowds, rude staff, or poor facilities at other places. They could have been having a hell of a good time at Blind Pass, probably for a better price. All I can say is, eat your heart out, and next time, give Amber a call at Blind Pass.

Room Tip: Pay attention to smoking/non-smoking
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
15  Thank paddieoh
Samba, Owner at Blind Pass Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2011

We are very happy to read such a long and detailed review, as well as surprised. Overall our guest had a very good to great experience, but we were concerned when reading the header---- apparently quite the opposite of what the review actually says. Reviews such as this not only help travelers to get a better sense of where they are going, they also help management to stay on our toes. We welcome balanced and fair reviews, as this one is, and hope to see more in the future.

Regarding smoking in our condos, there are only 3 that allow smoking. The unit our guest chose was not a smoking allowed accommodation, but it was reported that the previous guests may have brought the smell of cigarettes into the condo on their clothes and in their personal belongings. It is always best to request non smoking and to report any sign of smoking when entering a condo...as our guest thankfully did.

At Blind Pass Condominiums, it is our intention to always provide the best value and best experience we can. Vacations are rare commodities and there is never a reason to "ruin" one.

Reviewed April 26, 2011

We were extreemly pleased with the location of the condos since we have always loved Bowman's beach. The walk is so interesting, everyone looked forward to what we would see each day. We saw an alligator from the kayaks, water moccassins one day, lots of flying mullet in the evening, hermit crabs and lots of beautiful birds. The condo itself is much better than the pictures. They need new pictures. It's spacious and well stocked with coolers, carts, umbrellas and lots of cooking equipment. The pool was pretty and the tennis courts nice. The smell of honeysuckle hit you each evening when returning from the beach. What a pleasure. The grounds are well kept and the girls in the office very nice. We had 5 adults and a 9 year old and find it plenty spacious with lots of linens and beach towels. Parking with two cars was never a problem. The dolphin swam with us one day at the beach and at Lighthouse Beach we saw 8 adult and 1 baby stingray at the waters edge. Great place for a family vacation.

Room Tip: F-108 easy access to beach and parking
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank StLMOWaterbaby
Reviewed April 24, 2011

You can't beat renting a condo for a trip with kids. Multiple hotel rooms and eating out all the time rapidly raise the price of a family vacation. We have rented houses or condos for years because of this, and Blind Pass stood out as one of the best. First of all, it's fairly far out on the island, past the business center and about 2 miles from the Captiva bridge. This means you can access the Bailey's grocery store and many of the touristy places like the Wildlife Refuge, Shell Museum, Captiva island, etc, without dealing with the congestion you get closer to the causeway. The unit itself was perfectly clean when we arrived, with good quality linens and comfortable beds. Bathrooms were nicely sized and clean as well. The kitchen area was perfectly functional with all the accoutrements you would need for preparing simple meals. There is a gas grilling area in the central courtyard which worked well, although more tables might have been nice if you wanted to eat outside. My guess is the management decided they didn't want to deal with the potential mess and noise, but bringing your food back to your unit worked fine for us. AC, plumbing, etc was without problems. Walk to the beach via private walk and bridge was only 5-10 minutes. Lots of local wildlife, ospreys, herons and dolphins were seen by us during our stay. The bridge to the beach goes over an inlet that my son loved for the fishing - he caught some great redfish and trout there. The walk takes you to Bowman's Beach, which is also accessed by the public via a large parking area next to the condo complex, although during our stay the beach was never very crowded.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
#9 of 19 in Sanibel Island
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Blind Pass Condominiums? Share your experiences!