“Most Pleasantly Surprised!!!”

The Sangria Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2014

It has been quite a while since my husband and I visited Sanibel, but, we think about the Sangria Grill everyday!
When we arrived we went to the visitors center and plotted out an itinerary for our three day weekend. Then we set out on our adventure. We went to the Shell Museum; took a cruise that sailed around the island giving us historical insight on places of interest. Spent time at the beach and went in and out of many unique shops and artist galleries. And every time we passed the Sangria Grill, we said "we have to try them".
Finally, we stopped by (a little before noon of our second day on the island), not sure whether they were open; because there was just a motor cycle in the parking lot. They had only been open a couple of weeks, at that point. Chef Todd was outside writing the days' specials on a blackboard. He assured us that they were open and escorted us in. From that moment, we were hooked. We had such friendly conversation with Chef Todd, Pepper and Candy (who was on the wait staff) and the atmosphere was so cheery and inviting, that we immediately felt at home. We sat at the bar and watched as Chef Todd prepared our meals while we all chatted. I had crab mac & cheese and my husband had roasted duck quesadillas. On both orders the presentation was outstanding and the food was oh..., so delicious! And that's not just the excellent Sangria talking!
We, eventually, left full and satisfied and continued on our adventures. Later that night, we decided to go back to the Sangria Grill for dinner. The restaurant was filled with people in conversation and eating what looked like works of art. We reprised the same seats we had sat in earlier, and had wonderful chats with the couple seated beside us. We had house salad with wonderful dressings, while we awaited our entrees. Yummy!
Usually, my husband has turf, while I prefer surf; but we surprised ourselves and did the opposite. I had an espresso rubbed ribeye steak, and he ordered scallops. He never eats shell fish! Our orders looked too good to eat, but, we got over that obstacle and were so happy. OMG!!!
The food was flavorful, tender, and just so damn good! Bliss....!
We cannot wait to go back, and that is, at least, a four hour drive for us. That will be soon, as my husband's birthday is coming up. Any excuse!
See you at the Sangria Grill......!!!
Tina V.

1  Thank BUELA23

Reviewed August 19, 2014

I am going on a regular bases to the Sangria Grill because the food is simply outstanding. Everything is made from fresh ingredients and composed by a very experienced chef that has been in the business since over 25 years. I recommend to sit at the bar so that you can see with your own eyes how your food is prepared. Several of my clients and friends are going there as well - and they all love it. If someone doesn't like the food at the Sangria Grill I would assume they are just too simple minded and they should continue to visit a fast food joint to indulge in GMO food and sugar loaded soda and chemical slurpee. The Sangria Grill is a great place to eat for any occasion. I live since over 5 years on the Island and I know what I am talking about.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

We tried The Sangria Grille for the first time last trip to Sanibel and were so happy with our experience we brought my parents back with us the very next night. We sat at the bar both visits, which I highly recommend, to take full advantage of the Chef Todd experience! The first night we had whole pan seared red snapper, prepared right in front of us, that we are both still raving about. The lobster bisque (also prepared from scratch, as we watched) is hands down “the best we have ever had”. We also enjoyed the calamari, seared scallops and espresso rubbed ribeye. The REAL sangria is delightful and refreshing – unlike the sugary sweet stuff we steer clear from at most establishments. We are both looking forward to returning this fall.

1  Thank Jodi009
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Visited last weekend with my husband and son and daughter in law. Thought we would try a different place on Sanibel since it opened last yr. Well, the service was a bit slow and there were not many wait staff ( only one ) in the restaurant. Sangria was fine and appetizers were good! Dinner was just okay and that was with four different entrees. Everything on island can be pricey , but prices were way overboard. Don't think this place will survive. Also, noticed " reserved" signs being placed on tables and this was at a timeframe when place would be closing in an hour. Strange!

1  Thank Jane E
Reviewed August 9, 2014

We read varying reviews of this place, some good some bad, but decided to give it a shot. We are two adults and three kids. I'll try to provide a balanced review. We called for a last minute reservation, which was no problem and easily accommodated. We're in the off-season, and the place had patrons at the bar as well as 3 tables. Other tables had "reserved" signs on them...though no one showed.

From what I can see, there are a total of 4 employees in the place: a hostess/server, a waiter, the chef (and owner?) and another cook. Regardless, point is it is a small operation. They could probably use some wait staff.

The good: the sangria was tasty, the one waiter (John) was very personable, the hostess treated my kids nicely and let them put their name/height on their front wall.

The bad: food was mediocre -- scallops were flavored with an overly salted rub that killed all flavor, shrimp and grits were better (huge shrimp! but slightly overdone), calamari seemed frozen/fried and was fair at best, salads were fair.

All-in-all there are better places to go in Sanibel and Captiva. One reviewer mentioned the prices were "incongruous with the food". We chose entrees that were not overly expensive, but there were some that seemed a little pricey given the quality and atmosphere.

4  Thank mdourney