“Best restaurant in Sanibel/Captiva”

Mad Hatter Restaurant
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I are vacationing in captiva this week and this is by far the best restaurant on Sanibel and Captiva. It's possibly the best restaurant my wife and I have ever eaten. I chose the scallops which were the best scallops I have ever had melted in my mouth. My wife chose the crab crakes were were also delicious and moist. Then we had the creme brûlée which is made in house and was very good. If you are going to sanibel or captiva you must eat here as long as you are ok with spending over $100. It is by far the best restaurant on the island!

1  Thank Dancarlton
Write a ReviewReviews (1,320)

Reviewed June 24, 2014

After a long day on the beach we couldn't have asked for a more perfect meal. Our waiter was attentive and helpful. The decor was whimsical, but not childish. Though not a spacious dining room, the tables were comfortable and the ambiance was casual chic. We drank a perfect Chardonnay and started with the seafood martini. Our entrees were beyond delicious: The Black Grouper melted in our mouths - sweet and tender; The Black Truffle Sea Scallops were juicy and perfectly cooked; The Grilled Filet Mignon was deliciously succulent. For dessert we savored the espresso creme brulee and conquered the death by chocolate. We left vowing to return soon. Cheers!

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Thank you to the other reviewers who offered advice to go here because it blew our socks off. We got the country pate and the duck salad...both were superb. The black grouper was to die for as was the lamb. We ordered a $100+ bottle of wine and they had run out so they extended a discount on our second choice. The chef send out crab claws in truffle oil as a sample...nice touch! It really went over the top when they sent complimentary dessert wine to pair with our dessert. My only constructive criticism is they should hire a pastry chef. We absolutely LOVED dinner but the dessert (Manage a Trois) was just average.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

The restaurant continues its excellence in food & ambiance. For "special occasions" it is number one for Sanibel & Captive. We celebrated a "special anniversary" there a few nights ago & delighted to see it has not lost its reputation. The "Portuguese Oysters" beat any oyster selection I have ever eaten worldwide !! The rack of lamb consisted of two very thick chops cooked to perfection. Our waitress was very attentive, informative & knew how to open the bottle of BV Georges De Latour Private Reserve 1998 which I brought to the restaurant .

Finally, any occasion is a "special occasion" at the Mad Hatter

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Our first night of our first time in Captiva and the Mad Hatter was highly recommended by our traveling buddies, as they have eaten there before. So the four of us set out and as we pulled up I was a bit skeptical since from the outside it didn't look any different from the bar and grills we had passed along the way. We were seated in a very short time with an excellent view of the beach and the Gulf along with the setting sun. The interior is unassuming so I am still not sure if we were in the right place. Then the menus came out and it was made very clear that we were definitely in the right place.

Portugese Oysters, Blue Crab Cake, Lobster Tempura and Phyllo Shrimp or as they call them "Starters" along with 6 others. Heather was our server and a young girl that couldn't be more than 25 but when she started with the menu and the wine she sounded like a seasoned professional, correction, she is a seasoned professional. Heathear KNOWS that menu and wine. I went with the Roasted Beet Salad which was lightly flavored with a walnut vinaigrette, smoothed out with a dab of goat cheese, just enough and not too much. It was excellent and well presented and had me anticipating the main course I ordered, the Gulf Snapper.

The Snapper was served with potatoes, cherry tomatoes, artichokes and little neck clams in a light stew. Just enough to fill you and not to bloat. The fish was moist with a nice crispy edge, very tasty. The stew was really tasty but not overpowering in the salt department